Bush's speech tonight

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DJPoopypants, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I've wasted enough time watching these press conferences. So I'm not going to watch it. He's not going to tell us anything anyway.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just wait for HBO's "Rome" this fall. Supposed to be much better plus more violence and nudity.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fatso Sen. Ed Kennedy is on the floor NOW criticizing Presdient Bush's speech (see footage on Fox) before Bush HAS EVEN DELIVERED IT!

Fatso Kennedy is saying something about Bush developing a "communications plan" rather than an "exit plan"! What a moron!

It is sad that the freedom from terrorism provided by our President is extended to such out-to-lunch liberals! Even John Kerry urged folks to watch the President's speech... fatso Kennedy just went out on the Senate floor and criticized it whole hog...

sad

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I may just have to support NBC in their not showing of Dubya.

5. Dominique Rocheteau

Dominique Rocheteau New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Canada
    so Empire is not going to be on tonight?

******** you Bush!!!

6. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    who's fatter ... kennedy or cheney? Cheney & Bush ... fatman and little boy.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announces Rumsfeld's resignation should be like "A drink to everyone in the neighborhood"

Anyway you forgot "turning the corner". "the filter" " i think about x everyday" and the ever so popular "it's hard work"

8. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    George Bush is the Republican's LBJ

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "Like most Americans, I see the images of violence and bloodshed. Every picture is horrifying and the suffering is real," Bush said.

Bush said he knows Americans are questioning whether the heavy sacrifices in Iraq — more than 1,700 Americans dead — are worth it. "It is worth it, and it is vital to the future security of our country," he said.

10. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Has this speech been in the can for a year?

Ooh, three new steps.

1. Partnering US and Iraqi forces. This isn't happening already????

2. Coalition teams embedded with Iraqi forces. This isn't happening already????

3. We're coordinating anti-terror ops with Iraqi ministries. see above.

Unbelievable.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm planning to watch both. I'm consideing Empire to be a pequel. Besides, it doesn't start until 9:00 so hopefully Shrub will be done by then.

Is anyone watching Bush? If so, I'm sorry.:)

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    There went 20 minutes I'll never get back.

13. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, complete waste of time. he said nothing that wasnt already said.

it amazes me how iraw and 9/11 are still linked.

14. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    So the first applause interruption was begun by a member of the White House advance team.

Great.

15. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess - if you substituted tax cuts for the wealthy from the Great Society.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Dubya is back to linking Iraq to 9-11.

17. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Cliff Notes version of tonight's speech:

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah9/11blahblahblahblahblahblah9/11blahblahblahblahblah9/11blahblahblahblahpleasepleasepleasepleasejointhearmykidsblahblahblahblahblahblah

You want me to enlist, eh?

[​IMG]

Right 'ere, rich boy.

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ask in all honesty, as I do not know the answer, what does only 1 basic tv stationing airing this mean or tell us?

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    How many dead American soldiers will it take before the mainstream media starts to work at destroying Bush and his neo-con cronies? Will it ever happen?

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    My Take.

Bush's speech will be moderately effective to rally the base which still support him and his Iraq policy. The kind of folks who suspend thinking the minute someone evokes the flag and speaks in pseudo patriotic terms. His chocking up at the end will win him some sympathy points as well, making him appear more sincere.

At the end, however, Bush's speech in reality only highlights what is wrong with this administration. Clearly, a pack of lies hidden behind broad generalizations and imprecise characterizations.

First a mischieveous plan to weaken the authority of the new Iraqi government was presented in sound bite language that implied the opposite. The US has so far refused to give the Iraqi Ministry of Interior the authority to function since the new goverment that was elected. The US has also been insistent regarding the kind of figures it wants in the Iraqi military and defense department -- most of them former Baathists who hate Iran. Couching it in terms of giving the Iraqis additional help, the US is now taking over the Iraqi Ministry of Interior, Defense Department, and is trying to further its control over Iraqi police and military. That will not go unnoticed among the Iraqi people.

Second, Bush intentionally wanted to present a false picture of the insurgency in Iraq, talking about foreign fighters from various countries, including IRAN!! He said in a way that the average Joe will lump Iran with the countries whose citizens are helping the insurgency, while at the same time not being totally inaccurate since Iran's borders with Iraq are sufficiently pourous for citizens of other countries to smuggle into that country. However, for Bush to have implied any Iranian was involved in the insurgency is a lie.

Third, what can I say about double speak when Bush condemns the most democratic elections in the region, namely in Iran, having led an effort to have Iranians boycott those elections, while spouting nonsense about "democracy" moving in places like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, or among people who are occupied by foreign powers in Iraq and Palestine! Again, to avoid future difficulties, the Bush administration says it is working to bring "democratic governments" that will be an "ally of the United States in the fight against terror". If you knew what those terms really meant, you would have to say he is not exactly lying!

Ultimately, the US has been totally betrayed by this administration, but the Bush administration has been trying to take advantage of the tragedy of 9/11 and use it for their political purposes, throwing in a bunch of nice sounding slogans hiden behind the flag and patriotic songs. By the time the American people wake up, it won't be OBL who will have damaged America's democratic institutions. Or its economic well being. Or its international credibility and standing. It will be the Bush administration.

At some point in time, unless they totally rob the US of democratic decision making, this Republican crowd will be out of office. At that point, the truth and the lies that were used intentionally to mask that truth are not things that can be hidden anymore. If such an investigation ever comes to pass, there will be a lot of people who will need to answer for what they have done. For lying to the American people, building up a cave man in Afghanistan into some sort of a superpower challenger, and then going on a crusade in the Middle East in pursuit of a plan that was laid down long before 9/11.

21. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Oh dear. Is that dumb son of a bitch still President?

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look IM, just because BushCo drinks kool-aid, it doesn't mean you have to, too.

23. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Bush's speech tonight = sucks.

Lie and lie and lie again. Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11 yet he kept repeat that line.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was one new thing. At the end, he encouraged people to enlist, and talked about how the armed forces are an honorable way to serve your country.

Which was nice.

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just make sure you don't get horribly maimed while serving. That way you won't have to worry about getting screwed over on medical benefits.