Bush supporters outnumber Crawford critics

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh, well, so much for the groundswell of support for the anti-war "movement". Turns out it merely consisted of a few kooks and leftists trying to advance their cause with the grief of one mother.

Bush supporters outnumber Crawford critics
    Star-Telegram

CRAWFORD - President Bush's supporters poured into Crawford by the thousands Saturday, for the first time outnumbering war protesters led by Cindy Sheehan, who began a vigil here three weeks ago, demanding a personal meeting with the vacationing president to talk about her son's death in Iraq.

With police security tight and the heat intense, tempers flared, and traffic was clogged. But by late afternoon, only two people had been arrested for what the Secret Service described as a minor "attitude thing."

An estimated 3,000 to 4,000 people attended a pro-Bush rally in Crawford, waving flags and pledging allegiance to U.S. troops. At times, they accused Sheehan of dishonoring the death of her son, Casey, who was in the Army.

Jeannine McEwin, 69, said she and her husband, Harold, made the six-hour trip from their home on Toledo Bend Lake, a mile from the Louisiana border, to help conservatives overcome the numeric dominance that anti-war demonstrators have had in Crawford since Sheehan came to town Aug. 6.

"The left has had so much publicity, and we have sat back and done nothing," McEwin said. "We have allowed them to take over."

Harold McEwin, 70, said he came to support Bush and the war in Iraq.

"When I was 8 years old, I walked the streets of Shreveport picking up metal coat hangers to be used to build bombs and bullets" for World War II, he said. "I started out my patriotism right there."

2. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
  3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And you wonder why you lose elections.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you've gained some comfort from all the folks supporting BushCo. Just so long as you avoid to talking to any coworkers or read any news, your cocoon should hold up for quite some time.

5. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is Ian who is talking about all the people he has put on his ignore list. (Actually there are a lot of people that surprised me that are)

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What is your point? There are three posters in this forum that are at the center of nearly every single blowup. Some of us are choosing to put them on ignore rather than simply reacting all of the time, which only helps degrade the forum all the more.

Simple solution.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible to dislike the Sheehan crowd AND the knee-jerk Bush supporters?

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It must be, because I can't stand any of them.

9. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    I had nothing against Sheehan until she started blathering about Israel. So I say, to hell with the anti-Semitic broad AND the redneck jiongoists who oppose her.

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time I checked, nationwide, the polls indicate that there are many more people critical of Bush's handling of the War.

Revolt? You always seem to have that kind of data, what's the lastest word? :D

11. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    And now, for the best piece of news concenring the War Of the Rallies In Texas (Yes, The First One Ever That Has Nothing To Do With Six-Man High School Football And/Or Lynching Colored Folk):

Yes, it doesn't pay to be too smart about your signs when attending a pro-Chimp rally.
    Here is a few suggestions for those of you who are considering to attend one but may be new to the game:

"Bush Good! Commies Bad!"
    "I Hates Pinkos"
    "Treehuggers Go To Russia"
    "Nuke Everbody!"
    "Guns, Jesus, NASCAR"

12. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush's letter to Sheehan:
    [​IMG]

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Texas. His home state. You expected otherwise?

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At your sevice:

Approve Iraq war: 37%l Disapprove: 58% (-21!!!)

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    So you accept/condone/support all her blather until she gets to Israel?

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No one's wondering -Crawford, like most of Texas and a bunch of other states, is chock full of rednecks. That's why Dems lose elections. Calling a spade a spade won't help win them, but for some of us, the truth never goes out of style.

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9075811/

The numbers aren't really important, however, everyone should know that "organizers" are inflating things a bit . . . oh, like 100% or more

The crowd, which organizers said topped 3,000 but appeared closer to 1,500, chanted "Cindy, Go Home" and compared her to Jane Fonda, whose visit to a North Vietnamese gun site in 1972 earned her the nickname "Hanoi Jane."

It should also be noted that this is true swift-boating at this point:

The pro-Bush caravan was coordinated by Move America Forward, a group led by former California Assemblyman Howard Kaloogian and Republican strategist Sal Russo.

The major pacs are lining up on both sides as a result of this woman's ability to attract attention and the press. I don't agree with Sheehan's position of immediate pull out of troops, so all I can do is sit back and watch the damage to Team Bush.

While I try to stay away from "I told you so's" I really don't mind doing it to Georgie boy. At the beginning of the first Sheehan thread when most of us didn't even know who she was, I suggested that Dubya swing by the front gate in his pick up, tell her to get in, drive around for 10 minutes letting her vent with no one else involved in the conversation, and then drop her at the gate.

Then, this would have been the non-story Karl K insisted it would be. If she kept up her activities, all of us would have said, "we understand you are pissed, but you got two meetings with Bush, including a private meeting in the Hemi powered pick up truck. What more do you want?" It would have never left the 1" AP story that it was several weeks back.

So, for her sake, I hope some whacko doesn't try to off her after being whipped into a frenzy by Team Bush, but short of that, I don't think she really cares about her Q Rating, so I say God Bless, and congrats on smoking all of these sheep (or should I say "morans") out of the wood work to give your cause more press.

You are being heard Cindy Sheehan, and the proof is in the bile being spewed in your direction.

18. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Mine's bigger!

19. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    That's about the size of it, yes.

20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any report on why the disapprove crowd feels that way? I'd like to see some expanded numbers contrasting the number of people that disapprove because we are there in the first place and the number that don't think we are doing enough.

I'm not making any guesses, but I wouldn't be surprised if the growing part of the dissaprove crowd would fall into the latter catagory.

21. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a bit retarded.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me as a 'disapprover' who supported the war from the get-go. Then again, I did so in spite of Bush, not because of him (I'm more a Tony Blair guy), so while I'm disappointed, I'm not as surprised as I'd wish. Bush made a lousy case for the war (I think he stressed the tenuous WMD stuff because he knew the more utopian neocon version wouldn't fly with the same public that never demanded action in Bosnia or Rwanda, and because pointing out the fact that we were already involved in Iraq only highlighted the mistakes both Clinton and his father made), and his continued emphasis on loyalty to subordinates rather than accountability to the public baffles me, to put it mildly.

In other words, I think it was a good cause. I just think Bush effed it up. Things may still work out, but at a higher cost in blood and treasure than was probably necessary. I'm not ready to throw in the towel, though.

23. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    How come? From where I am sitting, "a bit retarded" is to support someone unconditionally on all issues.
    I agree with Sheehan's anti-war sentiment and disagree with her anti-Israel rhetoric. What's retarded in this?

24. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    You don't think they (invading Iraq and protecting Israel) are close related?

25. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    so home come many of theose Bush supporters are in Texas instead of signing up and getting over to Iraq if they support the cause so much.

We are a nation at war and a country at peace,