Bush Says Iraq Is 'Better Than You Probably Think'

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    NEWSFLASH!!!!! Hell has frozen over. Karl Keller and I agree. Jesus, I can't believe I'm going to say "you're right" to a Karl Keller post, but you are.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Is this like, what?, the 5000th time you've said this. Explain this to me. Why were Republicans so pessimistic about Clinton's economic policies? Why were Democrats so optimistic?

3. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Yea. Why do we even try? I mean we're just going to *#*#*#*# it up in the end.

4. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Dude, Rich. All I'm trying to say is that things are getting better, and Iraq is one step closer to democratic self rule.

I was never under the impression everything was utopian over there, but i do know it is NOT an anarchistic hell hole.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with your friend, but here's an alternative viewpoint from a Marine who just returned from Iraq, that was in the Dallas Observer, the news and entertainment weekly that tends to lean a bit towards the liberal slant:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/2003-10-09/news.html/1/index.html

6. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Of course, where's the genius in saying some days you win, some days you lose, and some days it rains?

7. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    It's funny that you sometimes look like you really think that

1- War on Afghanistan was made to free the afghani women.

2- War on irak was made to spread democracy.

i know, i know very few really do, the most of you hope that they will be good side effects.
    Maybe you should focus on why you need it.

Btw I also like hollywood movies sometimes when they're not excessively dumb.

Though I'm a bit angry with the fact you turned things upside down with the cowboys/pioneers vs indians stuff.
    I grow up with cowboys being good well mannered heroes bringing civilization and indians being very bad seminude men screaming and throwing arrows.
    And now... :rolleyes:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want...

You should try with Jesus or Buddah, they're better.

I personally believe in Jesus Child, not Santa Klaus.
    He is the one who brings presents on Christmas.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait - we were trying?

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, is anyone really saying that it's an anarchistic hell hole? Why does it have to be A) Iraq is improving, or B) Iraq is forever mired in incurable disorder? I don't think anyone here would assert that Iraq is not better off than in the days or weeks immediately following the invasion. We all believe that things will stabilize one way or the other.

The question is whether things are improving as rapidly as they could, whether the situation is being handled as effectively as it could be, and whether the ultimate result will be a secure democracy, indefinite lawlessness, another totalitarian regime, etc.

So it doesn't improve your argument to say, "look, this street in Baghdad has electricity, and it actually works 25% of the time, so things are clearly improving."

10. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Should I start posting the positive first-hand account from soldiers who are over there, or are they just "tools of the Bushies"? :rolleyes:

11. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The only first-hand accounts you should trust will include something along the following: "Young Arab women are hot but you got to wonder what future their fat ankles hold."

12. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wanna give the over/under on how long the marriages of those two soldiers to those Iraqi women last? I'm thinking the first dinner over at the in-laws should pretty much end it.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an astroturf campaign going on of "letters" from soldiers there. I can dig up the details and links if you don't trust me.

But I'll be deeply hurt. ;)

14. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Fixed your title.

15. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
  17. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That's very sad and embarassing. Really ridiculous. However, I'm not naive enough to believe that's the case with all of them. I'm talking much more personal accounts - bloggers getting email from people they actually know, and that type of thing. Not letters to the editor.

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes please. I'd be interested in that.

19. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The living example of your quote:

http://www.womenforafghanwomen.org/

Masuda, pictured here, who I know PERSONALLY submits that yes, its true that kids are getting a little (Western) schooling in Kabul and Kandahar, but the rest of the nation is dying....literally.

A little better is not functionally better. Afghanistan has been betrayed again...

20. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they similar to these?

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Are you reading about Afghanistan or Bizarro Afghanistan?

22. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    TWUB,
    You probably got blindsided with the form letters thing, so no foul. Can you provide links to these things you cite above?

P.S., I'm not sure we've adequately distinguished between "getting better" meaning everyday life returning to normal vs. "getting better" meaning the establishment of a stable, recognized democratic government.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That would be the difference between "getting better" and "getting there" though. It could be "getting better" for another five years before we are "getting there".

Are Semantics of this nature helpful/useful/relevant? Only if you tie this back into the title of the actual thread and say "Depends on how you define 'better', Mr President."

24. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    I'm going to have to agree with you here. I guess all Bush was trying to do is stress the fact a lot of things are better in Iraq. Are we "there" yet? Nope. are we going to get "there". Eventually.