Bush "Monkey" portrait banned in NYC

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Roel, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This is much deeper than art. This is fundamental American rights, freedom of speech," Savido said. "To see that something like this can happen, especially in a place like New York City is mind boggling and scary."

Why? Does he think that the nation's financial capital is bereft of neoconservatives and their imperialist capitalist creatures? That's where they all ARE!!! Every act like this is not re-making the nation; it's confirming that is already HAS been re-made, and that power from that re-making can be exercised.

All that being said, the sandwiches at Carnegie Deli are worth the price.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i suggest the reuben :D

btw what ever happened to telling a "protester" (snicker,giggle): thank you for your opinion, we hope you'll come back for the next exhibit

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Katz's are better

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People take themselves far too seriously. This is going to be a dull-ass country if things keep going the way they are.

6. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Katz's? Katz's was a dump before the Harry Met Sally scene, and now it's a dump with a tourist trade. 2nd Ave Deli is the place to go.

[​IMG]

Or Barney Greengrass, The Sturgeon King, for good Jewish food other than sandwiches.

[​IMG]

If you want to see some real debates and insults thrown around here, let's talk more about Jewish delis in NYC.

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Juniors in Brooklyn is da best.

8. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I'll have to swing by and see if the huge billboard art of chimpanzee-face Bush is still up on 10th and 18th.

That was much more popular.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    No way! Most overrated deli EVER. Katz's is vastly superior. Its not even close.
    Carnegie Deli is a ripoff, and takes forever. Too many damn tourists.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Second avenue deli is overrated, and its kosher; so no reubens for you.
    As for Katz's being a dump before when Harry met Sally - Obie, they had the whole "send a salami to your boy in the army" schtick.
    Sorry, but for delis you can't beat Katz's at 3:00 AM.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Incidentally, Mel, whatever these imperial capitalist creatures are, they're mostly liberal in NYC. Hate to tell ya that.

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At any time. Carnegie is a tourist trap. Second Avenue is good but way overpriced, and if I want to feel guilty about not keeping the Sabbath I'll go to synagogue. Katz's pastrami is the only religious experience I need.

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had hoped that the juvenile criticism of our brave President would cease following his recent re-election; I see the leftist liberals continue to poke fun at our leader in an elementary, no make that pre-school, manner! Where is the respect due our Chief Executive since he won (re)election in 2004 fairly without the controversy alleged in 2000? Where is the common patriotism that should be shown to our Commander-in-Chief?

IntheNet

God bless President George W. Bush

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, your schtick is getting old. Can't you come up with something new?

15. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

i'm sure you rolled over and licked clinton's sack after he won in 96 right??????????

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

17. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    What has he done that is brave?

18. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

he took a pretzel on in a fight and won. it was close though.

19. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that Segway kicked his ass.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that fight. Don King promoted it. The pretzel took a dive.

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Responded to terrorist attacks internationally and on this nation's homeland, successfully managed the War on Terror!

Rebuilt this nation's domestic security apparatus; consolidated multiple agencies and developed the Federal Government's largest single entity: The Department of Homeland Security!

Liberated Afghanistan from the Taliban and brought national elections to the nation.

Liberated Iraq from the tyranny of the Saddam Hussein regime and the terrorist Bath and Republican Guard elements; put the nation on a democratic heading!

etcetera

22. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the extent that generalisations, yours and mine, work at all, NYC is mostly liberal..except for that whole section downtown. That is not necessarily wholly comprised of NYC residents, but I've lived there long enough, served enough of them drinks after work, and still have friends enough in the financial sector to know that the best of them are "socially liberal, and economically conservative," while the worst never look up from their bond trading desk at Merrill except to tell their "buddy" next to them that they bought another car (that makes four! Well, three cars and a motorcycle) last week after being inspired by Stanley O'Neal's speech to the floor last week (true story).

Does that make them evil? Not necessarily. Does that make them creatures of imperial capitalism? Of course it does. Is that the whole city? Certainly not. Noone like that living in my building on 145th Street between St. Nicholas and Convent. Do they have bus tours of the ********ing financial district in any other city I've ever been in besides NYC (and London, must admit)? No. In Paris they don't take you by the Bourse, they take you to La Joconde.

That being said, Babbo was some good eatin'.

23. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Nothing but nothing works like censorship to improve the value of "art" ... or in this case, monkeyseemonkeydo.

24. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Oh, so it's brave to send others into harm's way?

The one chance he had to be brave was when he disappeared for eight months.

25. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's it -- that was their pinnacle. They've been riding on fumes for 60 years now. Besides, the knish place next to the Sunshine Cinema down the street kicks all their asses for LES grub... and no rude wait staff there, either.