Bush: Maybe I will ask Congress first

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by tcmahoney, Sep 4, 2002.

1. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Bush to seek Congress OK on Iraq

Makes sense to me. If we're going to go to war with Iraq, Bush needs to have the support of the country behind him.

And the best method for that, however imperfect, is to get the people's representatives to support him. That's why it's in the Constitution in the first place.

2. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    hmm.. or he can just do what Clinton did.Blindly attack nations without asking anyones approval.

"a newspaper clipping saying there are attrocities in the Balkans, Lets bomb Belgrade"

"Sudan has a asprin factory ,damn them! they might terrorize my kitty cat.. lets bomb them!"

"WHAT!? The taliban is going to hand over Osama to the Saudis.. Lets Bomb them!"

" you mean these attacks HAVENT taken away from my scandals.. oh crap"

3. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    while zverskiy yobar is obviously a blind and biased President Clinton basher, he does make a good point. Clinton bombed people (even Iraq) and it went without much objection. Bush merely talks about it and the whole world goes crazy. If Bush had been the one to bomb that factory in Sudan, I think the world would explode in protest.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bush isn't talking about bombing. He's talking about occupation and regime change- which is what makes people nervous.

5. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yes, bombing just for bombing's sake doesn't really upset anyone.

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Aside from the individuals who are actually being bombed, you've pretty much got it right.

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the UN approved of it.

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't forget we are bombing Iraq all the time.

9. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    It just never gets old.

10. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all politics, he could care less about congressional support and believes he has the right under the original proclamation of war handed to his father.

He wants to force a vote so that Democrats who have been bashing him in congress have to take a firm side:

Yes for war: Then they need to leave him alone

No: Risk what their constituents might say.

11. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Actually, Democrats in Congress have been very careful not to criticize Bush on this topic. Hell, that goofball Biden parroted the Bush line yesterday. It's Republicans in Congress who have been doing the criticism.

If you want to call asking the President to follow the Constitution he swore to uphold and defend "criticism," of course.

Oh, and please, keep bashing Clinton. Because public resentment of Bill Clinton is at an all-time high, and is going to be a big, big old winner at the polls for the GOP. Hey, did you hear we're hosting the World Cup this year? And I heard something about O.J. Simpson being accused of murder, but he seems like too nice a guy to do anything like that.

12. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Any vote in Congress is going to be a foregone conclusion in favor of the use of force. I'll give you the vote totals right now: 100-0 in the Senate and 434-1 in the House, with the lone vote against being whatever yahoo represents Berzerkley at the time. Politicians are chicken sh!ts by nature and every one of them knows their @ss would be out the door if they voted against action. That's why there will be a vote before the election recess...for GWB to call out the windbags in Congress to make a public yes or no stand.

13. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he would have done that with Srebenica -- would have prevented thousands of "protected" Muslims from being slaughtered.

How can we convince the people of Iraq that we would be trying to help them? WE have been bombing the living hell out of these people for a decade. WE have been in control of the sanctions placed on Iraq that have direct impact on the ordinary citizen. Without the support of the people, we have no chance in hell of changing the regime to one that is not corrupt.

I agree with Kobranzilla -- Bush is doing this just for Democrats and Republicans alike to take a firm side. He could be doing that as well as giving Iraq another firm nod that something will come down.

14. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    He is talking about an unnessary course of action. If Sadaam has shown he is a threat to any country (by that I mean he is about ready to invade it), then a case for war against Iraq can be made. However, Bush and Blair have not made a strong enough case to go in. Eventually, though, Bush will use the excuse that the resolutions passed before the Gulf War are still in force and invade anyway, thus really putting this economy in the crapper.

15. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Unneccesary course of action for everyone except GW. It's merely a political move to improve his public opinion. Only reason he is stalling now and saying he cares about what congress and our allies have to say, is becuase he's worried the whole move will backfire on him. It been 'wag the dog' ever since Sept 11:

"CBS Evening News reported on Wednesday that it had obtained documents showing that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's determination that Saddam should be toppled began with an hour of the Sept. 11 attacks....CBS said notes taken by military aides, who were with Rumsfeld when the attacks occurred, quoted him as saying he wanted "best info fast. Judge whether good enough to hit S.H." -- meaning Saddam Hussein -- even though intelligence reports all pointed toward Osama bin Laden ( news - web sites) being behind the attacks.

At same time, not only UBL (bin Laden)," the notes quoted Rumsfeld as saying: "Go massive. Sweep it all up. Things related and not," CBS reported."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=2&cid=578&u=/nm/20020904/ts_nm/iraq_usa_dc

16. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Unneccesary course of action for everyone
    > except GW. It's merely a political move to
    > improve his public opinion.

Iraq is the last place on earth where it is cheap to find new oil. That is why Bush must invade. It is also why Blair must help him, no matter what the English people think.

17. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    You're way off. While I think it would pass both Houses eventually, it wouldn't right now. The Senate will be a close vote--Dems quitely oppose and a large section of republicans have problems. I imagine the Senate vote being about 60-40, given nothing new happens.

18. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    You want war, infidels!

"The Senate also gave its official consent for the president to use force against those responsible for the attacks."

-September 14, 2001 from http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/09/12/politics/main310971.shtml

Lot's of news articles point Muhammed Atta was liked to Iraq and had meetings over there along with a lot of other evidence that points to them.

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    you probably would be better off sticking to more recent news reports, particularly the ones showing that the alleged meetings between Atta and Iraqi officials (first reported by Czech intelligence sources) haven't been corroborated, plus the fact that it would have been almost impossible for Atta to get there logistically.

I'd also love to see this "lots of other evidence" as would Congress I imagine.

But you go on believing what you're going to believe.

20. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, what a cruel world it would be if GW had to share evidence and intelligence with SoFla Metro.

21. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > "The Senate also gave its official consent for the
    > president to use force against those responsible
    > for the attacks."

We know that most of the hijackers were Saudi. We think that their funding came from Bin Ladin, a Saudi. If there isn't a Bin Ladin connection, it is almost certain that they got their funding through other Saudis. Now, there is a nation that gives the Saudis billions of dollars, sells them advanced weapons, and whose leader is a close friend of the Saudi leadership. That nation is The United States of America. Bombing begins in 5 minutes.

22. jabraria@hotmail.com

Feb 24, 2000
    USA
    I think we all know and have seen that bush only knows and cares about one thing, getting reelected and if that means getting us in an illegal war so that he and his frat buddies have another four years to steal our IRA's and destory every company and stockholder, while weaving their magic republican tale of how it is the welfare mother that is really the problem, then he will

like his dad and his brother he has no conscience about our children and the iraqic children that will die....of course most of our soliders will die from bad equipment or supplies sold at an extremely inflated price to by a defense contractor friend of the administration.

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Or Congress

24. Kraze

Kraze New Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Orlando
    Ha, we (USA and the UK) got this puppy started! Too bad the media aren't covering it.