Bush approval at 49%

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by joseph pakovits, Sep 25, 2003.

1. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=us&cat=bush_administration

Also, some Reeps are now voicing pessimistic fears about what would have been unthinkable a year ago...

http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20030924/5528175s.htm

Maybe this is why the far-Right here is sounding more shrill these days. Despite the best efforts of the media, the usually somnambulent and doggedly apathetic American people are discovering they've been lied to. The situation in Iraq is such a shambles that the previously arrogant and condescending President is now begging the despised "Old Europe" for help. And while the economy itself may pick up slightly from now until November, it's not creating jobs. They're not panicking yet, but the Reeps have got to be worried that not even the usually reliable cynical flag waving, France bashing and 9/11 invoking will work this time.

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    When'd you get out of Guantanamo?

3. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    You read USA Today? And to think I once respected you. :)

4. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    LOL!

Hey I saw inmate Bill Archer fooling around in the NE Revs forum too.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the down polls, there is still more than year to go before the actual election. As we've seen over the past year, Bush can look invincible like he did last September vs. the most recent poll numbers we are seeing here. A year is a long time in politics, and while the Democrats might be licking their chops at what looks like a weakening Bush juggernaut, Bush still has a year left in office to change course. He may have hit the valley too early and could rebound. Hoping he doesn't, but hey...

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's funny is that when the CNN poll came out the neo-cons on this board bent themselves in knots in the race to explain how biased CNN is. And here's the Wall Street Journal, of all sources, tracking Bush at lower figures.

I love inadvertant political commentary.

7. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    I find it hard to understand that 49% of the population would think Bush is okay. I mean, it is like 49% of owners saying the Yugo is a decent car.

Pick a subject; economy, environment, international relations, civil liberties .... he has really put this country in a bad set of circumstances. 49% approve of what he has done?

8. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    49% would say a Yugo is a decent car becuase they wouldn't want to admit the F'd up a bought a crappy car. 49% of Americans are doing the same thing with regards to their President. It's kind of like admitting your kid is dumb or ugly, most people just can't face that reality.

9. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Grade inflation.

10. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    He did go to Harvard.

11. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    It's a link on the Yahoo page with the first story...

Hey, it's cheaper than toilet paper and useful in the same way. :D

12. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    USA Today is a far left propaganda organ. It's no suprise their polling skewers Bushie.

13. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    And the General Electric/Wall St. Journal poll ...

Apparently, they weren't able to get a random poll of WSJ op-ed writers to give us an objective viewpoint.

14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    A large percentage of the population is happy with how he responded post 09/11, decision to go after Afghanistan, funds being confiscated, etc. I am included in that group. I think he totally f's up though with the Patriot Act and Iraq. Though, I really have no problem with taking out a bad dictator and installing a democracy whenever one can politically. I just think that the way we went about it was extremely bad.

With regards to the economy, things aren't booming, but things aren't exactly dreary yet. So I am holding off on my opinion domestically.

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    You must not be one of the three million people who have lost their job during the Bush administration.

16. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Right. Cause we never had any kind of monumental attack on our country that killed an already sagging economy. Nevermind what you hear in the papers.

17. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, but how could one f*** up an invasion of Afghanastan? Other than not catching the man you were hunting, that is.

18. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    While I agree with your sentiment, I think the former Soviet Union might not.

It's way to early to get excited about polls. Bush has plenty of time to revive himself. If I were him, I'd release Kay's report on Iraq WMD now, so he'll have more time to recover.

19. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    With regards to the war on Afghanistan, he didn't have to go after Afghanistan or into Afghanistan. We could have declared a "war on Al-q", launched some cruise missiles, froze funds, covert CIA operations, etc.. Truth is Bush took the step of advocating that nations which support terrorists will be targeted. That is something that I am not 100% convinced Gore or other Dems would have done.

Also Bush's moment with the workers when he gave his, I hear and the people who did all of this will hear from us soon was a great moment of leadership. Period.

Give credit where credit is due. I hate going after Iraq. I hate going without the UN. I hate all the diplomacy we burned in so doing. But, he did do well with regards to Afghanistan.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really??

Wow.

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Wasn't it 48% last week?

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not that Bush is totally to blame for the job market, but..

> Cause we never had any kind of monumental
    > attack on our country that killed an already
    > sagging economy.

How many times do I have to point out the attacks helped the economy?

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in this poll. Each pollster has his own methodology, so that tracking from one poll to another is dicey.

24. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
  25. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have to concur with the Arizona sentiment. I have family (by marriage) living in southern Utah. They are small government conservatives. They would never vote for a democrat, yet they hate Bush.

He has a long way to go down, yet.