bush actually says terrorism will not happen on his watch... :O

Discussion in 'Elections' started by afgrijselijkheid, Oct 23, 2004.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    W.

T.

F?

i just saw this on CNN international, some stump speech he was giving yesterday - georgie says "if we show weakness in this decade, we will be dragged down into tragedy... that will not happen on my watch"

huh? what is he on? what are the sheep at the rally on that they immediately burst into a roaring ovation? forget "soccer moms", forget "nascar dads"...

the real key demographic for bush in this election are the "dumber than a freakin' wet sack of hammers" voters - how can no one call him on this utterly ridiculous statement? how does the news just show the video as if he'd said something even remotely true? how can anyone back this psycho?

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blue, the pronoun "that" could just as easily refer to the "no weakness" as the terrorism, grammatically speaking.

The speech writer probably meant it to be ambiguoug, but to me, this is no worse than Edwards' line about stem cell research and people in wheelchairs.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

no, he said that during one of his turr rants that insinuates another attack happening will happen if kerry gets elected - i didn't feel confident in remembering verbatim what he said to type out the entire context

EDIT: btw i have no clue about the edwards statement you are referencing, what was it?

4. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    bush should be a role model for all the "slower" and "challenged" kids in middle and high school who are told that theyll never make anything out of themselves...

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    "We will stop juvenile diabetes, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and other debilitating diseases… When John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."

Edwards made the comment less than 24 hours after Reeve's death.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yikes... that was unfathomably bad taste

EDIT: i'm not sure anyone is getting my point - it has ALREADY happened "on his watch" and everyone seemed to just clap and move on without blinking

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i found the exact quote, which not surprisingly was also featured in his RNC acceptance speech

"If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy. This will not happen on my watch."

8. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really think you are overreacting. Take a deep breath, walk away for about 30 minutes and then come back and re-read the thread.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure about that hoss? You sure it wasn't 24 hours BEFORE Reeve's death?

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It was a ridiculously over the top comment, but in NO WAY was exploitive given that Reeve was actively supporting Kerry/Edwards and firmly believed that a Kerry Administration would give him and others a better chance of walking again.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hoss? :D

Yes Festus, I'm sure. Reeve's died on a Sunday, Edwards made the comment on Monday. Why do you think the Reeps jumped all over it?

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I wasn't passing judgement, just providing context, but since you brought it up…. Given the timing it was stupid and crass. In hindsight I'm sure Edwards regrets the comment.

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. The man made his tragedy a means to raise awareness of the issue and its importance. Does anyone really feel that he felt that if he died tha he would want it treated any differently? If anything, I think his death probably galvanized his family and frineds attitude about the need to defeat Bush to let the research push forward. Im sure they feel that if Bush hadnt been in office, Reeve's MAY not have succumbed to his injury.

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? He said people LIKE Reeve, not Reeve himself. You know like implies similairity between 2 seperate entities. You can read that statement as to include Reeve, or not, but given the context I think its pretty clear that he probably was using Reeve as an example of the group of people who are paralyzed, if not as an example of who is going to walk. Its a bit of an ambiguous statement though.

I think if Edwards regret anything its not being more clear in his language.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Can you not read? I qualified my statement with "given the timing". I didn't take offense, but Reeve's body wasn't even cold yet so I can see how others might.

And I do believe Edwards regrets giving the right some political fodder.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you utterly missed Ben's point. How is it "respectfull" to sweep the issue that drove the latter part of his life under the rug to honor his death (which oh by the way was tied to that issue)?

Republicans crying disrespect are just trying draw attention from something that makes their president look like a religious nutjob (which he is). Hey, but if they want to try to make a political issue of it with any legs, Im sure youll see Reeves family backing Edwards comments 100% after they have come to terms with their loss.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Look, I'm for Federally funded stem cell research and stated I didn't find it disrespectful.

It's campaign season. If you can't see that the comments were a political hit, so be it, but politicians have always used an opponent's innocuous comments to distract the public.