Bus Seat Belts? When?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, May 9, 2005.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another bus crash....

Two die in Missouri school bus accident
    More than 20 children injured
    Monday, May 9, 2005 Posted: 11:15 AM EDT (1515 GMT)
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/09/school.bus.accident.ap/index.html
    LIBERTY, Missouri (AP) -- A school bus crashed into two other vehicles Monday morning, killing two people and injuring more than 20 children. Officials would not immediately say if those killed were on the bus or in the car and SUV involved in the crash, but the car and SUV were nearly demolished.

~

What I fail to understand is logic of penalizing parents who fail to seat-belt secure children in private automobiles, yet school buses remaining without such devices? I would assume that School Boards across nation anaylzed cost of retrofitting school buses with seat belts and said..."No... we'll accept a few dead kids as the cheaper alternative." There was a recent school bus crash here locally in NVA with the same tragic result...kids thrown headlong to their death after crash!

Why not school bus seat belts? How many more kids must die?

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I blame the teachers.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kids are much safer in a bus than in a car.

The occasional freak accident resulting in a child's death--while tragic--is rare enough to underscore this.

Kids being killed in cars, sadly, is not newsworthy.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Erm.......

There ARE bus seatbelts.

But do you honestly think kids are going to wear them?

And if you think you can enforce it, well you might as well become a cat herder.

5. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seatbelts would have been used as weapons, or at the least, used to tie up the nerds on my bus.

I always felt much safer without them.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SO you don't care? It's OK if occassionally kids fly through windshields as you can call it a "freak accident" and wipe up the youthful body parts with kleenex and continue with status quo?

Do you support seat belts in cars? How are buses any different? Spin that?

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One person trying to control 25+ kids makes for an interesting proposition. Don't get me wrong, kids should have to wear seatbelts in school buses, but forcing them to do so is very difficult.

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am normally against Federal regulations yet the clear hypocrisy on this issue is crystal clear... penalizing a parent for not locking their children with seatbelts while in a private automobile, yet giving a pass to school buses for the same matter, MAKES NO SENSE whatsoever... while I am sympathetic to the plight of school bus drivers and their kids, I firmly believe that the impetus on this issue; i.e., preventing seat belts in buses, are LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS that have no interest in spending money to retrofit school buses with seat belts... they, like bigredfutbol above, are quite willing to accept the occasional child dead!

Sad!

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You have noticed, haven't you, that the article you posted refers to a story in which the two people killed were in cars hit by the bus, and that, at the time you posted the article, no children had died? You did catch that, didn't you?

I thought not. Troll.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read anything beyond the funny pages, you will note a national debate on bus seat belts, even from such liberal sources as here:
    Bus Crash Renews Debate on Seat Belts
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63970-2005Apr18.html

I know that you don't give a damn about kids from your support of NEA and the Teacher Unions and your general disagreement about parent and student issues unless uit means something about your pay, you being on the 9-month sabatical program and all, but just for one moment take your fingers out of yoru liberal ears and focus upon the hypocrisy of mandatory seat belts in cars yet no passenger restraint in buses! Why?

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I blame the teachers.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I read more in a day than you do in a month. I'm also aware of the various issues of the debate, which you clearly are not. Otherwise you wouldn't have adopted the stupidly shrill and self-righteous tone about dead children when the article you posted to start this thread makes it clear that no children were killed in the Missouri crash, and that the bus killed two people in other vehicles.

Why? Read the article you just posted. It gives plenty of reasons why and why not. Oh, and I don't belong to a teacher's union. Very few private Catholic colleges are unionized.

In any case, it's perfectly clear that you don't care about kids. You care about being shrill and self-righteous and irritating. The sick thing is you're willing to use the occasion of dead and injured children to do so.

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said funny pages don't count... refigure without them in your wild estimate!

Actually the "sick thing" is that your position accepts such dead and injured children as the price of doing business, whereas I am trying to do something about it. Perhaps your alleged "Catholic college" says something about the 'least of God's children' but I personally doubt you've ever set foot in anything even resembling an academic institution.

Again, focus upon the hypocrisy of mandatory seat belts in cars yet no passenger restraint in buses! Why?

14. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be a No Bus Driver Left Behind act to cover this sort of thing.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) You can't begin to understand most things I read. They're called "books." Most of them don't have pictures.

2) I don't have a position. Seriously: where on this thread have I taken a position on school bus seatbelts? I haven't. I have, however, called you out as a troll, and I stand by that. Of course, it helps that you prove my point every time you post.

3) Whatever you choose to believe. You have a history of posts on bigsoccer that show you to be either a sock puppet or a raving, ill-informed, borderline lunatic. My posts are a bit more consistent along these lines.

4) Read the second article you posted to this thread. It will tell you why AND why not. Until then, quit pretending to be concerned about children.

And quit pretending to be Catholic, too. That's really offensive.

By the way, if you're really Catholic, you went to mass this weekend. Can you tell me what the readings were in your diocese?

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. It's clear you don't understand the problem. If you don't understand, why go into ad hoc attack against someone that does?

So I start a threat about children's lives and a real threat so I'm a lunatic? Tell me... do you applaud when children die?

Somebody has to... it is clear teachers and school boards are not and parents need to fill the void.

Why is it offensive? Have you denied Christ's message of acceptance of fellow man?

Our pastor read the Gospel from Mark 9:14-29, but all I need do is turn to Bible to answer that question. Our pastor also spoke on the abortion issue after the Gospel and he spoke about the summer camp registration and the upcoming bake sale... you want to know how much our collection was as well?

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yawn.

See below.

Really? That's a very odd text to read on Pentacost.

But thank you for proving that you are not Catholic. If you were Catholic, you would've known that every church in the world reads from the same lectionary for The Liturgy of the Word, so you wouldn't have just made something up like you did.

Now that you have been busted, quit pretending to be a Catholic.

18. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Buses don't have seatbelts, and for good reason. If there was an emergency such as a fire, seatbelts would be a hinderance to evacuating the bus.

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If they are gay, you have.

Pastor? And you claim to be Catholic? BUSTED.

(Better work done by Dr. Wankler above, btw. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr. Wankler again.)

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how is this different for a private automobile?

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

What do you care? You're misrepresenting yourself as a Catholic, and I think you are misrepresenting your concern for children. You're an attention-starved, lying little troll.

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Damn, damn, damn.....You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr. Wankler again.

23. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    caveo cavere cavi cautum

"The Catholic pastor — from John Paul II to every would-be imitator of the Curé of Ars — is the central figure in the existence and conduct of the Catholic Church. Any debasement of his status and dignity, including that by a priest himself, jeopardizes the credibility of the Church."
    CATHOLIC PASTOR: SHEPHERD OR HIRED HAND?
    by Msgr. George A. Kelly
    Catholic.Net
    http://www.catholic.net/RCC/Periodicals/Dossier/1998-07-08/pastor.html

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Quit pretending to be Catholic. You have been busted. Your LYING is reprehensible.

25. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    In a private automobile, you have a few people, with a door for every person. However, it's much easier to evacuate a bus if you don't have seatbelts. This is the line that they use as to why they don't have seatbelts on buses.