Burritos

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by needs, Mar 3, 2003.

1. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    How do you like 'em? What meat? What beans? Rice/no rice? Lettuce? Sour cream, guac?

What's the best and where are they?

My votes. Pork (carnitas or al carbon), rice, never lettuce, whole pinto beans, avocado, cheese.

Best burrito: Tacqueria Cancun, SF, on Mission btw 19th and 20th St. Great carnitas, great veggie burritos. Half an avocado in each. Free chips and salsa. Finally, they put the burrito on the griddle after they wrap it.

2. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    You can't go wrong with either Chipotle or Qdoba.

Chipotle: chicken w/ black beans, sour cream, cheese, corn, mild salsa, and guacamole. They always ask nicely if you want it, and mention that it's extra as a courtesy. You can't go wrong with the carnitas or steak burritos either.

Qdoba: the chicken mole is phenomonal. Not too spicy but powerful just the same. Black beans but no guac with this one.

If you're ever in Davis Square, Somerville, MA or Central Square, Cambridge, MA, hit Picante Mexican Grill. Especially if it's picadillo day, big, tasty, beef burritos.

Back to Denver, Illegal Pete's makes good ones too, but they fall apart as soon as they hit your plate.

3. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Burritos make me toot.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    chipotle:

chicken w/ very little rice, black beans, cheese, corn salsa, tomato salsa, hot salsa, lettuce and guacamole.

la bambas:

crap, i dont even remember what was in them...at 2:30am after getting shitty at a bar i didnt really care, but they were always good and '...as big as your head'. hell they were even good when cold the next morning :)

5. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Chipotle:

Carnitas (chicken a close second) w/:

rice, pinto beans, and mild salsa. No cheese or guacamole. Thats stuff'll kill you.

6. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If you're in New York, check out Burritoville. The Bob Marley (jerk chicken) is kickass.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I think you were reading my mind because I was just about to post this. The Bob Marley is indeed quality.

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Airport Food can be good:

The Creole burritto at Burritto Beach in O Hare Airport was unreal for airport food, very good for burrittos. In between concources H and K (American Ailrines).

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Oooooo....that sounds good! What is all included in it?

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, there's just nothing like frozen bean n'cheese, straight out of your grocers freezer aisle. Dump a little Old El Paso hot salsa right over that bad boy. Mmmm mmmm mmmmm.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Jerk chicken spiced w/ chilis, clove & cinnamon. It's the only thing I'll even consider when I'm at Burritoville.

Personally, I'm a big fan of microwavable breakfast burriot. Mmmmm.

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Other than the no El Paso Sauce, the Bean, Cheese, and Chili mini burritto straight from Albertson's wasn't Qdoba but it worked for the time being.

13. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    I had a roommate that used to have a freezer full of Little Juan's.......granted, I wasn't above eating one when I was starved (although having some THC inside my blood stream helped), but boy they are bottom of the line. Then again, they are probably the only burrito that could survive a nuclear war :D

14. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    This will probably be heresy to some people, but the good old Burrito Supreme is a classic in my book.

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    California Tortilla in Bethesda, MD is awesome.

16. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's this taqueria in Watsonville called "La Esperanza" or something, that serves the best chicharron burrito on the planet. No beans, onions, or other garbage. It's all-crispy pork crackling with a dollop of piquant salsa wrapped in a warm flour tortilla. To die for . . . . .

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds good!!!

How close is Watsonville to Spartan?

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Watsonville's just south of Santa Cruz, about an hour away from Spartan. That is, if traffic is light going up the hill.

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I've *tried* driving to Santa Cruz once. Didn't make it cuz I was frustrated with the traffic going down.
    :mad:

Any recommendations of burrito shops near Spartan? I'll be there for the Freedom game on 4/19.

20. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "Spartan" & "good food" don't go well together. The area around Spartan stadium is a Superfund site. :eek:

21. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to do it right though.
    First heat the burrito for 1 minute. Remove and flip over, sprinkle on a liberal amount of shredded cheddar/jack cheese. Nuke for 1 more minute. Remove and add sour cream and salsa to taste.

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Went to a great taquieria in Oakhurst, CA on the way to Yosemite this past summer. The owner was a very friendly Mexican (we didn't talk soccer at all), and he recognized us when we stopped in a few days later on our way out of the park. There was a Taco Hell across the street and we couldn't believe that people were going in there instead of this place.

23. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In San Francisco: Pancho Villa and El Toro have fantastic "classic" Mission burritos that are massive stuffed with your favorites as you roll down the aisle.

In New York: There ain't no good Mexican, but for a decent burrito I go to Cosmic Cantina across from Nevada's. It's good when your shelled.

24. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Pancho Villa in San Mateo is also great. There's a display window right as you walk in & there's usually somebody hacking away at a carne asada or at a carnitas with two cleavers. Your order's prepared right in front of you, & finished by the time the herd moves down the queue. I usually have the lengua burrito, something I don't see anywhere else. Yumyum!

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Somewhat related....

Last summer an ordinance was passed in downtown Boise limiting the number of street vendors in the area :rolleyes:. Anyways they made the BEST tacos (not like the tacos you find at Taco Bell). The versions they made had two small corn tortillas, your choice of meat, cilantro, and lettuce (which I never got). $1 each. I always ate 5 of them. But now with this ordinance they are gone from the downtown area and their lil' restaurant is too out of the way for me to drive to at lunch.

Last night I was hankering for either a torta or quesadilla and last night I drove into the town across the bridge to visit one of my fave Mexican food trucks and they were closed :(.