Burnley-Liverpool friendly may 1922 in Milan...

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by filippomo, Sep 30, 2013.

1. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    I've lost the data for this friendly game... but I've still the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  2. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
  3. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The pictures are amazing. I can help a little with the one of the Liverpool squad.

Most of this information comes from LFCHistory.net: http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/FriendlyGame/8429

Date of match: 25 May 1922
    Stadium: Milan
    Attendance: 10,000
    Match Result: Burnley 1 – 0 Liverpool

The web page also has Liverpool's line-up, but I don't need it because I recognize the players. I'm not sure about the men in civilian clothes, though.

Liverpool's line-up: Unknown Civilian, Cyril Gilhespy, Dick Forshaw, John Bamber, Ephraim Longworth, Walter Wadsworth, Elisha Scott, Don Mackinlay, Harry Chambers, Harry Lewis, Billy Lacey, Tom Bromilow, Unknown Civilian, Unknown Civilian.

RoyOfTheRovers and msioux75 repped this.
  4. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've just had it confirmed that the man standing second from right in the top picture (just over Bromilow's left shoulder) is William Garbutt, former Reading, Arsenal, and Blackburn player. At the time the picture was taken he was manager for Genoa CFC, a team that would later play Liverpool on this tour. Garbutt is often referred to as "the father of Italian football."

5. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    Thank you very much ofr the info. I once had a mail exchange with the guy running that website... then forgot to send him the pictures. I've more of this game and of a game played by Liverpool against a representative team of Emilia (Liverpool won 6-1). The Stadium in which this game was played was known as Campo di Viale Lombardia, and, before the building of San Siro (around 1926 ifI remember correctly), was the home ground of Milan F.C., and occasionally of the third club of Milano, U.S. Milanese.

6. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hello. I was delighted to offer the help I could. And thanks for the information about the stadium. I had a cursory look but was only able to discover that the match occurred earlier than the creation of San Siro.

I found the Burnley FC squad from the archive of La Stampa, issue of 26 May 1922. There is also a match report, but I can't read Italian. Here is the Burnley line-up according to that newspaper:

Goalkeeper: Jerry Dawson;
    Defenders: Len Smelt and David Taylor;
    Mid-fielders: Billy Emerson, Alf Bassnett, and Billy Watson (capt);
    Forwards: Walter Weaver, Bob Kelly, Joseph Anderson, James Lindsay, and Eddie Mosscrop.

I would very much like to see your other pictures from Liverpool's 1922 tour of Italy. I help out a bit with the Unofficial Liverpool FC Museum, a Facebook page. Its primary function is to entertain and inform, but everyone involved with the management of the site is either a serious collector of club memorabilia or a published football historian. If you would be willing to post your pictures there you would find an appreciative audience. Here is the URL: https://www.facebook.com/UnofficialLFCMuseum.

Otherwise I could arrange to upload them on your behalf. Do feel free to PM me.

7. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  8. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    I "asked for friendship" (don't know how it is in the english version) in facebook. My nick there is Luciano Vezzani. I saw you're friend with riccardo frm Genoa... nice lad. I think we can do something for that pictures... maybe you could write an article on that italian tour and i could provide the pictures and translation from italian newspaper.
    Let me know.

9. Jeff Gaydish

Jeff Gaydish New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Cheers, Luciano. Your idea is really good. We can pick it up over at Facebook. -Jeff