PBP: Burnley FC Vs. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StamfordBridgeLions, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thus the 'knowledgeable' bit :eek: :giggle:

Nah, when things start going wrong people are apt to cast around for someone or something to blame. When things are going well people, (well, most people;)), are usually happy giving praise.

I always find it irritating when fans claim this or that manager is the best when they've got a side with almost limitless resources.

But it's certainly true to say that even knowledgeable fans can genuinely have a difference of opinion.

For instance, I don't actually accept that Frank necessarily 'got it wrong' yesterday because our side, (with a LOT of youth on the pitch), kept piling forward trying to get a 5th and 6th goal. I just think that's what happens when you get a side, about half of which is less than 21 years of age, are already 4-0 up and had seen Leicester batter Soton 9-0 earlier in the day.... YMMV.

It's just a difference of opinion... which is fine :)

Rman3349 repped this.
  2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Indeed we are:

[​IMG]

Rman3349 and srd.... repped this.
  3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lamp on wisely :D switching it up from a purer Zonal marking:

(still work to be done, mind you, to keep the heart from racing on each set piece defense)

"Chelsea’s manager said switching from zonal marking to a mix-and-match approach from set-pieces is paying dividends.

“We changed a couple of weeks ago because I basically got fed up conceding so we thought we have got to change something here to give players some responsibility,” Lampard said.

“It’s hard; there are so many arguments to both sides for this one.

“In zonal you can be a bit passive. In man-to-man, in the modern day, you can get blocked and people can get away from you so we felt a bit of a mixture give a bit of responsibility back to the markers and keep a few of our bigger players in zones and we have been better since.”

A static Blues zonal defensive system had looked shaky, notably in conceding goals against Leicester and Liverpool.

And although Ashley Barnes did miss a great chance from a free-kick into the box that was not dealt with when the score was 1-0, the recent changes were effective in coping with the relentless long-ball tactics."

What a refreshing treat to hear a gaffer say "...we have got to change something here..."

4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Andy, it’s up to the manager to control the players! Especially when what he should be doing is instructing the midfield to slow it down - Jorginho and Kovacic are not 21. It’s not a huge deal, and I fully appreciate that Frank doesn’t control the players, but of course it’s partially on him! You can’t give him the credit for playing the youth but then just shrug off “youthful” mistakes as unrelated to him. Different sides of the same coin.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're assuming he didn't, of course.

6. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Jesus this is painful. We lost 4-0 and played right into United’s tactics. Of course ON THE DAY Lampard did a bad job.
    As for my “dislike” of the English - lol. All my English relatives, friends and colleagues would be fascinated by this notion.
    If you can’t tolerate any criticism of anything English, feel free to put me on ignore. I’ll even help you out and do the same!

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    So you’re saying they ignored him? Is that better?

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Might not be so blatant as out right ignoring him, and more like youthful exuberance to get forward and "make something happen", coming to the forfront and pushing instructions to the back.

I would be inclined to go that way.
    I just can't imagine Lampard, with the managers he played for and his years in the game, not knowing the value of closing out a game with instructions to do so.

Youth and lack of a leader at the back to keep them in line.
    Hoping Rudiger will make that come together.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    As I said initially, a combination of youth and manager. A more cynical (experienced) manager would have had Kovacic or Giroud develop a cramp once the speed in the last 10 minutes became too fast.
    Also, I’m very wary of “has played for great managers” as an explanation- lots of famous players who’ve played for great managers fail. The premier league is littered with SAF protege failures.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, this is all assuming you're correct in saying they should be sitting back when they're 4-0 up with very little time left, isn't it. If you're wrong about that, (which is a matter of opinion, not fact), your argument rather falls apart doesn't it :)

Also, I'm saying they're kids and don't always do what they're told to do.

Of course, even that ignores the fact you have no knowledge of what happened regarding any instructions, lack of instructions, lack of the players following said instructions or anything else in this regard.

Which rather begs the question of why you even mention the matter, other than for something to complain about.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Why mention what caused us to concede two goals in the last 10 minutes? Are you serious?

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We conceded goals from one fluke strike from 40 yards, (that would only go in once on a thousand efforts), and another one that was deflected.

You seem determined to put that down to a failing of the manager. That's idiotic.

Crawleybus and Wrath repped this.
  13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    An interesting misrepresentation of my argument. But I understand what you’re trying to do.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm pointing out you're constructing an argument rather than an honest assessment of any failings and strengths of the parties, (the players and the manager), involved.

You don't know any more than we do and yet you're speculating about this or that not being done or ignored.

I mean, seriously, what's the point???

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I agree, there’s no point in continuing this.

16. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It seems like there is a certain poster around here who really wants Lampard to fail and y'know Lampard may well ultimately fail.

:ROFLMAO:

:cautious:

tinfoil hat football punditry from nicephoras

Rman3349 and Crawleybus repped this.
  17. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another thread derailed. Please try to keep the next one focused on the football everyone. Any personal gripes are best taken to DM.