Burn in Last Place

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rocket, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like the hunger was there early but the effort resulted in a gassed team late. Mile high makes it worse.

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    whats even worse is that Chicago could make the playoffs and we could miss it. Thats fair... :mad:

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I find it funny that people want to hang a coach after a year.

4. BigNards

BigNards Member

Jul 18, 2004

I agree. I like most of what Colin has done this year. I'm sure there are a few things he'd like to get a second chance at, but doesn't everyone have a few of those. The boys are playing more as a team this year.

Sure there have been a few games where the team didn't perform well or had mental lapses. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the result of the team, but it's hard to blame CC for Jason or EJ not finishing or unmarked players in the box.

I think Colin has earned a little more time at the helm.

5. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    If the Burn had won and were in 2nd place no one would be asking for Clarkes job. They only do that sort of thing in LA.

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tending to be most unhappy with this myself. I keep looking at the stadings, and if it were a single table for playoffs (like was done one year, and I think is a great idea), Dallas would currently be ahead of Chicago. Meaning that there are actually three teams in MLS worse than Dallas.

But I guess that's irrelevant. Since that's not the way MLS is doing things.

7. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    There's a baffled jury still out, somewhere...

The Burn have Brad Davis, last year's point leader and fan MVP sitting on the bench.. Quill, a player who replaces the leading point producer, playing as inconsistent as he was when traded.. Talley pushing up too much like his counterpart Gbandi.. Gbandi, who likes to get in on the offense, but doesn't provide any - and doesn't provide much defense either.. Reyes, who is known to be skilled and speedy - sitting, while Gbandi (and the team's playoff chances) is gambled on..

If the Burn make the playoffs, fine; CC is in. But...

8. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wah Wah Wah.
    Give it up. Really.
    It is fair.
    The Burn know their task at the beginning of the year. They have to finish above 5th in the west to make the playoffs. If they don't complete that task, that was known to them at the beginning of the season, it's on them. Looking at the East standings is just an pathetic divertion attempt for the team and for the fans, to escape reality.

Even while I do agree that the west is a little stronger,
    1) The East ties a bunch more (42-34), which affects point distribution.
    2) Teams aren't playing balanced schedules. If everyone was playing each other the same amount of times, your point would have validity. However, they don't, so your's doesn't. They are up against the teams that have the same balanced schedule that they do for a playoff spot.

I don't really want to hijack this into a ridiculous single table thread, but that was the only point in your post. There are pluses/minuses to each; the bright side: the addition of more teams with still 8 playoff spots will help you people get through it though. (FTR, I think an AL/NL 32-team type of scenario (before interleague play) is the long-term goal of MLS, and parity will loosen when MLS is 18 teams strong). This argument isn't such a big deal when 1/2 or more of the teams miss the playoffs.

No offense, as you are a Burn fan, but, even as a fan of this current last place team myself, this is just misplaced whining IMO.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know, I understand they knew what they gotta do in the West but it still bothers me that Chicago, NE, or DC is going to make the playoffs over Dallas possibly.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These things even out over the long run.

Last year the East was stronger, and Columbus missed the playoffs with 38 pts, while LA made the playoffs with just 36 pts.

This year, whoever ends up 5th in the West gets screwed.

Big deal.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome to say what you want - as always. And sure, there are questions.

But keep in mind, with what the Burn had to go through, I think it isn't ludicrous for me to say that CC did a good job of revamping this team and getting them in a better position this year, and that firing him now would be a mistake.

Or the short way of saying that - you can say he should be fired if they don't make the playoffs, as long as I can say that I think you're wrong and going off half-cocked.

Brad Davis - that just didn't work out. CC tried him in the middle, and Brad couldn't handle it - much like Martino couldn't handle it in Columbus. And Eric not being able to handle the left, well, that was problematic.

I think the biggest issue this team has/had is that they have an allocation currently going unused - because their really isn't one to use it on right now. CC hopefully will find one in the winter who can come over here and fill (hopefully) the void in the middle with Simo. That and give Gibbs and Jolley time to gel, and hopefully figure out something on the outside fullback spots.

CC is vulnerable on GBandi, to be sure. But you know what, if the guy gets it together in time for next season, then CC looks like a genius. All of those folk complaining about not playing younger guys - who is GBandi but a young guy? And look at the mistakes he is making, and how worked up we're getting. (Yes, I include myself in that).

So personally, I think expecting more than an improvement in this team - which there clearly is - is unrealistic. I see improvement. I have my worries, but my worries do not outweigh my hope. (Yet.)

But that is what healthy discussion is all about. And mine is just one fellow's opinion.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so charitable.

If we can run a coach who never missed the playoffs and was one game from the MLS Cup final the previous year...

If we can run a coach less than a year after he led the team to the 3rd best record in the league...

...then we can run a coach after he's been given a ton of draft picks and two allocations, and still leads us to such stunning mediocrity, and we can certainly run a coach who's been given all of that and misses the playoffs. In this league, worst-to-first has been a common occurance, so I'm not too jazzed with worst-to-not-terribly-bad-but-still-not-good-enough-to-make-the-playoffs-when-80%-of-the-league-does.

The rest of you are welcome to make excuses for mediocrity, and frankly, Hunt Sports Group will thank you for it. After all, they don't want fan pressure to fire the coach less than a year into a two-year contract.

13. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I give him next season. If they aren't one of the top four teams in the league next year, and comes up with some hardware other than Brimstone, then I'd probably be on board with a sacking.

But not now. Especially when the jury is out on whether this team is going to miss the playoffs. (Clearly, though, they are inconsistent enough that I doubt they will got on a streak and win it.) But I still don't think it warrants running the coach.

14. Wacko4Burn

Wacko4Burn New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Waco, TX
    Heck, C-Bus is now in first and they've been trying to run their coach since he got there. I'd hate for this to descend into the depths of the C-Bus board.

Kill DC, and all will be forgiven... for now.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Drum'r Boy,

I agree with your point wholeheartedly! It's foolish to fire a coach who fails to make the playoffs in his first full season in charge! You must stay the course and greatness will surely follow!

Sincerely,
    Brian Quinn
    Ray Hudson

Which is my way of saying the following:

The absolute best finish that a team that has "stayed the course" under a coach who has missed the playoffs in his first full season is DC United's 2003 finish with the 7th best record in the league. Be still my beating heart.

Bruce Arena won it all in his first season in charge in DC.
    Bob Bradley won it all in his first season in charge in Chicago.
    Thomas Rongen won it all in his first season in charge in DC. (But boy, does that deserve an asterisk, given the rest of his MLS coaching resume.)
    Bob Gansler won it all in his first full season in charge in Kansas City.
    Frank Yallop won it all in his first season in charge in San Jose.
    Mooch Myernick made the final in his first season in charge in Colorado.
    Sigi Schmid made the final in his first partial season in charge in LA.
    Steve Nicol made the final in his first partial season in charge in New England.

Frankly, history is not on your side. If a coach leads a team to a mediocre record in his first full season, then "staying the course" has only resulted in more mediocrity -- at best. Conversely, if a guy is good, he'll usually show it within a season.

Don't take my word for it -- look it up for yourself.

16. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take this question with a grain of salt....
    what were all of those coaches' records the following years?

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena -- won it all
    Bob Bradley -- #3 seed in the West, knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by one of the most magical moments in Burn history
    Thomas Rongen -- crap
    Bob Gansler -- #8 in the league, knocked out in the first round
    Frank Yallop -- second-best record in the league, #3 seed overall, knocked out in the first round.
    Mooch Myernick -- #4 seed in the West, knocked out in the first round.
    Sigi Schmid -- #5 seed overall, knocked out in the league semifinals.
    Steve Nicol -- #2 seed in East, knocked out in the conference finals.

In other words, not too shabby.

18. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    k, thanks. From memory or is it on MLSnet somewhere?

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shockingly, from memory.

But it's all at MLSNET under the "History" bar.

20. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Not neccessarily in the long run if you're Dallas.
    We would not make the playoffs, however even though we may be better than 3 Eastern teams, we would get the all powerful "Yu Suck" allocation and they would not.

Then we might get moved to the Eastern Div and would really have an advantage over those three teams. Better team and an extra, high ranking allocation. :)

Of course, I'd rather be in the playoffs. But our situation could be lose (not in playoffs) ...win (U Suc allocation)...then win again (moved to East). Better than a kick in the arce and no recourse.

21. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX

I'll take your word for it and I think you make great points. You also forgot to add Dave Sarachan, who made MLS Cup in his first year at the Fire helm.

22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Believe me when I say I wish I had the £££££££££ to buy Dallas from HSG. I understand you love for Dallas, but it is not like last yr where everyone just gave up after....oh say the 2 month of the season? So quit pressing the panick button or you might start ending up like those pricks from DC who like to remind everyone of their past glory days. Think of Dallas like they are Bolton, a team always fighting instead of sp:rolleyes:rs who are 43 yrs and still counting.

23. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    in the 77th min. SJ and Columbus are tied so i guess thats not all that bad

24. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    yessss sanneh scores for columbus in stoppage time 1-0 columbus

25. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nearly posted that very prediction!! Wow, I must have ESPN!!