Burn back to Cotton Bowl - really!

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by chazsoccer, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats

Congratulations Burn fans. The Cotton Bowl is a far better ending before Frisco than Southlake. It will be nice to embarass your team in the Cotton Bowl one last time before we start embarassing you at Frisco, and keep the Brimstone Cup forever!!

Seriously though congrats, management listens when you talk with your dollars.

2. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Re: Congrats

Brimstone was the only highlight of 03 despite its dubious (or non traditional) rules of settling ties.

Speaking of embarrasments, when was the last time that Chicago beat Dallas at the Cotton Bowl? (or Southlake?) I think it was sometime last century :p

Oh man, have I missed the smack talk! The move back is already paying off. :)

3. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season Tickets

I'm new to Dallas and went to a few games with my wife. I had been to one game during the first season and loved it. I have loved the team even though they are terrible. I was not going to get season tickets if they stayed in southlake because the enviroment was so horrible. Thank you Elliot as my wife and I will be getting season tickets for next season and finally I can show her what soccer is supposed to look like. Now make us a new logo and a good kit for next season and you will get more of my money. Use the badge logo on 3rddegree.net I don't know who made it, but I'm sure he'd let you you use it.

Thank you so much for going back to the Cottonbowl.

4. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season Tickets

I'm new to Dallas and went to a few games with my wife. I had been to one game during the first season and loved it. I have loved the team even though they are terrible. I was not going to get season tickets if they stayed in southlake because the enviroment was so horrible. Thank you Elliot as my wife and I will be getting season tickets for next season and finally I can show her what soccer is supposed to look like. Now make us a new logo and a good kit for next season and you will get more of my money. Use the badge logo on 3rddegree.net I don't know who made it, but I'm sure he'd let you you use it.

Thank you so much for going back to the Cottonbowl.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Congrats

I don't think they have since early '99, maybe even before that. We've only played them at Shitlake once (and thats forever), and we all know the result of that one ;)

6. SoccerNova2009

SoccerNova2009 New Member

Aug 19, 2000
    probably at a bar
    Just checked my email and saw this great news.

I read the subject line in the email and with hands shaking I clicked on it trying to keep my hopes in check. I figured they must be talking about an offseason exhibition game at the Cotton Bowl or something. I told myself that will be great, a nice gesture by the team. But then reading on I learned the news was even more glorious than that!!!! This is AWESOME!!! This is the best news all year. I am so psyched by this. Now I can't wait until the season starts. Thank You Greg, Thank You HSG!!!! I now can wear all my Burn gear out in public with PRIDE. I think I will also get the '03 jersey I had been putting off.

The first round of beers at the Cotton Bowl is on me everyone!!!!!!!

7. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Congrats

Our last win in Dallas was in '98, we had a draw in '01, what's up with that? It must be the smell in Dallas distracting our players.

Oh yeah, smack talk is half the fun. We'll try to keep it simple for you folks in Dallas. ;)

Just remember, all in fun.

8. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    From the Dallas paper:

The Burn players certainly appreciated Thursday's announcement.

"I think this is an awesome decision," said Jason Kreis, the team's all-time leading scorer. "It takes a class group of individuals to admit they made a mistake and then to change it. I'm proud to be part of an organization that would make a decision like this."

9. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    Alleleulajah!!!!

Thank you library side for not showing up.
    Thank you fan clubs for all the signs and papers sacks.
    Thank you latino fans for holding firm.
    Thank you players for speaking up.
    Thank you Swift for making a statement.
    Thank you Elliott for continuing the fight.

HSG/John Wagner, let this be a lesson learned. DONT MESS WITH THE SOCCER GAWDZ!

10. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOOOHOOO!

Thanks, HSG, and everyone that complained about the hell that was Sucklake.

Already bought my seats for next year, paid in full, dying to go!

11. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Re: Season Tickets

(yeesh) Well since it's the bible belt, how about the Dallas Jobs? Would everybody get that?

12. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX
    oh *#*#*#*#
    wooohooo

13. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fooking great news, guys!

There was NO way any of us in the Riot Squad were going to make a trip to see the G's play at Soutlake. No way at all...

But at the Cotton Bowl... with Bar of Soap, Meridien Room, etc right across the street? And Deep Ellum down the road?

Damn... that's a party.

HSG will be amazed at how many rival supporters will be at the games again...

Tommy Mack

PS: Now if we could get AEG to let us tailgate at The Cathedral...

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you are welcome to bring it by my house!

15. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my E-mail......

"As an organization, we pride ourselves on maintaining open and direct communication with our fans and the marketplace. In this case, our fans spoke loud and clear and we listened. While we appreciate everything the Southlake community did for us last year, this move is the right thing for the Dallas Burn, its fans and our sponsors."
    -- Dallas Burn general manager Greg Elliott on the club's return in 2004 to the Cotton Bowl after one season in Southlake, where it averaged a league-low 7,906 fans per game. Southlake's Dragon Stadium, which has artificial turf, was supposed to serve as the Burn's home until the Frisco stadium's completion for the 2005 season. The Burn is also reducing ticket prices an average of 10 percent, with some price categories being lowered by as much as 33 percent.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Mr. Elliott!

16. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm not a Dallas fan and even I'm overjoyed to see y'all move from that piece of **** that was punishment for fans and TV viewers and probably not much fun to play on--to a stadium that obviously has a special place in your hearts. That's good news for the Burn and MLS!

17. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Think...Free Fair Pass
    Think:a good extra incentive to get some friends to go to the game

18. djwalker

djwalker BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2000
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent an email to the club thanking them for the move. Everyone should do this. I also pledged to make the trip from OKC to Dallas next year in appreciation.

BTW, what's all this Ray Parlour talk? Don't tease me. What's the scoop?

19. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    I have an idea for an inferno song/chant for Greg.

"For He's A Jolly Good Fellow"

20. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX

or you can share it with us folks in Austin

21. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Chacao sounds like Chicago.

Check your local liquor stores. Beyond Bush 21 Year Old Mlat Mideira Finish, I also reccomend Bush 16 Year Old Malt Port Finish. Bush 10 Year Old Malt. Black Bush is aged 5 years in whiskey casks as a single malt, then mixed with grain alcohol, and aged three years in sherry butts. Tillamore Dew is several steps down, but inexpesnive and good.

It is nice to have beer, but the Cotton Bowl should also serve cocktails and shots. We are lucky (at least, I am) that Marty usually has something good.

Suddenly, I am thirsty. More than usual. Another toast to Lamar Hunt. Now, (hic) we love HSG! (Hic, hic)

22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I might do the same. and the Ray Parlour talk is me. I wouldn't mind someone like him who might be nearing the end of his career with Arsenal, might like the idea to come to the MLS. Burn then use the YSA for him and that helps solve some of our midfield problems. I wouldn't mind a player from Europe, but if they come from Arsenal, then its even better. :)

23. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actaully, Arsenal, Brushes mentioned Parlour as well.

All right. Gunners mid, I get that. The last Gunners player worked out well. He must be central, because the Burn wings are not in question. Is he a d mid or a distributor?

At the end of his time at Highbury, there are plenty of other teams in London to play for. Or he could leave for another team in the top flight that might want him, or to a top D1 team that he could help to promote. He could play for half the teams in Scotland. After playing for one of the best teams in the best leagues, he would rather retire. Perhpas, like Morrow, he would like to play in another country, and he like the idea of helping the MLS, and he wants to see these players who lead the US to the World Cup quarter finals, as far as England got in Asia.

Or is he just looking for a paid vacation?

Has he said anything that would lead anyone to think he might want to play here?If he is signed by the MLS, he is ours. The fact remains, however, just because he is availible does not mean he is red and black next year.

24. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do not disagree with that he is a lock as a red and black.

My guess is Parlour could be whatever the Burn needed as a middle. He can go forward, defend, play wing if needed, takes somke shots(sometimes us Arsenal fans wish he didn't take), and play defense.

He does have alot of options, but who knows. Would I like him here? Yes, but not only as a Gunner, but as a leader and someone who can play all over the field if needed. Maybe he can do the Tony Adams to Dennis Bergkamp, before the won the Double in 98 and ask everyone, "how long have you been here and you haven't won anything?"

The exception to this is the Brimstone Cup.

25. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I spent the last week moving my family into a new house so I'm a little behind in the news. But the drinking and streaking will commence now.
    Welcome to the neighborhood everybody!