Bundesliga teams playing abroad?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by LebenslangGruenWeiss, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a quick example of a Tri-Country Superliga

International SuperLiga

Time Frame July – Aug

Participating Teams

MLS

Houston, New England, DC, Chivas USA

FMF

Pachuca, Atlante, Chivas GDL, Pumas

Germany

Bayern, Bremen, Hamburg, Schalke

Groups

A.) Houston
    Houston
    Pachuca
    Hamburg

B.) Foxboro
    Atlante
    New England
    Bremen

C.) Washington DC
    Bayern
    DC United
    Chivas GDL

D.) Los Angeles
    Chivas USA
    Schalke
    Pumas

Semi Finals
    Winner Group A - Winner Group B

Winner Group C - Winner Group D

Finals Semi Final Winner A – Semi Final Winner B

Of course the teams would depend on the criteria used. I used the teams (that supposedly are in) for Superliga 08 from MLS and FMF and the top 4 (right now) from Germany. Seeding the groups can be done by many means, I used the Champions from each league and random draw of remaining teams to ensure one of each League. This also gives geographic dispersion.

Here is a link for Superliga 2007 for approximate date reference and other information. http://www.superliga2007.com/

Since SUM (Soccer United Marketing) usually runs exhibition tours (Barca, Madrid, Chelsea etc.) and has ties with both MLS and FMF, why not use DFL as the third part.

Thoughts?

2. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As I remember it Bundesliga and MLS have a kind of partnership so something might be worked out I guess...Don´t ask me how and when though.

3. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, it has been rather quiet on the partnership front since the announcement last year.

As far as something similar to the above example happening, who knows? I think a lot depends on how the new Concacaf Champions League will do. By including MLS/FMF teams in that along with the other member countries you keep that side of the rivalry that made Superliga possible. Of course, since Superliga was basically created by SUM to cash in on that rivalry they would have to do something else to make money. By expanding it to include Germany you could potentially fill a need by all sides.

4. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Originally the partnership was mostly about stadium construction, TV-production and marketing as I recall it.
    How it looks right now is anyones guess but DFL is in meeting right now (mostly about TV-deals for the future..) so we just might hear something about the future of the partnership this weekend.

But most likely not...or if it is mentioned the media will ignore it as they concentrate on news affecting their local teams.

5. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Schwalker, if Schalke plays the Quakes who do you root for?

6. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Make a guess....:D

[​IMG]

7. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why I love Schalke fans! You can take them out of the Revier, but you can't take the Revier out of them. If you ever come to Houston for a Quakes (or Schalke) game, give me a shout and we will have a cold one.

8. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unfortunately I´m not planning a trip to USA in the foreseable future, otherwise we could have met up somewhere, right now I got a litter of puppies I´m waiting for, have just planned my summer vacation and facing my mother in-law moving to live with us this very spring.
    Mind you..I might simply try to escape one day..:D

They serve a decent pils somewhere in Houston?

9. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you, sort of like my next trip to the Republik. One of these days I will have to return and face both my Mother and my Mother in-law. :eek:

Decent Pils is in the eye of the beholder of course, but the Bar that sponsors us Texian Army folk has obtained Warsteiner for us last year and this year we will have Bitburger. Naturally, not only the German Contingent of the Texian Army partake of this beverage.

10. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Bitburger!!!...:)

You know that they actually sneaked in Bitburger in the stadiums during WC2006 despite Budweiser (American) having bought the rights.
    There was some legal loophole I heard.