Bundesliga Season 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Jun 28, 2019.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If we are only looking at coaches without contracts, not sure many would fit our philosophy.
    I was wondering what Pochettino is up to. I was surprised that he's rumored to go to Newcastle until it was mentioned he'd earn more than 20 million there. Jeez...
    I'm sure Tuchel will be looking for a new job soon but that ship has sailed for many reasons. There is Kovac but I have doubts he'd be a good fit. Besides those, I cannot think of any who have already made a name for themselves and who scream to be the missing puzzle piece for us.

It's noteworthy that the contract with Favre wasn't extended which I think isn't something you usually like to do. So this isn't exactly a sign of trust, rather it has this appearance of both sides agreeing that this is Favre's last chance.

astrophyz and podrinje repped this.
  2. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Allegri?

To me Poch would be great, but only if he wants a new challenge. So it's up to him to take the pay cut in Germany vs England, with a better chance at winning.

The other good coaches are all tied.

Also good point about the extension!

3. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ten Haag

BVBFNM repped this.
  4. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I agree with Raumdeuter. Either Ten Haag or Nagelsmann are our most realistic targets.

AFAIK neither Allegri nor Pochettino speak German, which automatically rules them out. IDK why people keep bringing them up.

5. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Because at some point, if we want to take the next step, the board should realize that this German language rule is limiting. I can see why it would be good, but at some point it stops being helpful.

Plus most Germans, and most (probably all) players in the squad speak English.

Alex C and hava repped this.
  6. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    What we need is a young up and ambitious coach not an old coach who was with a prominent team, who is past their prime like most of the names I see posted here.

7. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Literally find a new Klopp or Nagelsmann. There must be someone, also in lower divisions. If German is a condition, also Austria or Switzerland ( maybe even Netherlands) might be places to look

BvB_Peon repped this.
  8. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #158 Alex C, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Firstly, as you say virtually all the players speak good English (I know Hummels, Reus, Can, Witsel and Haaland for example are pretty fluent, plus obviously Reyna and Sancho), so communication would not be a problem. And some of the foreign players hardly speak any German anyway.

Also you can always hire an interpreter to start with if necessary, plus the club already hires German tutors for the players so no reason they can't do the same for a coach.

It really shouldn't be an issue.

naopon and astrophyz repped this.
  9. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

10. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019

I am so confused what is going on in the club at the moment and i fell this could be the end of Watzke in some near future..
    Something just isnt right anymore

11. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is there a Dortmund AGM where the fans can protest against Watzke like was done for Ulli Hoeness

astrophyz repped this.
  12. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Reports are that the Sane to Bayern deal is done and the rumored price is 43M pounds which seems cheap even for a player coming off of a long and bad injury. However, the biggest indication showing just how far off we are from Bayern is that the salary is said to be "less than 20M" which means it is definitely closer to 20M since the player has refused to re-up with City so he will be getting paid by Bayern for getting him on the cheap. This is a number Dortmund cannot come even close to offering players.

This just illustrates the fact that for Dortmund to have a chance to compete it has no margin of error and has to do everything correct every year so that when Bayern are in a short period of "off form" they can pounce like it was the case last season. However, when things are not clicking at Bayern they waste no time in making changes by changing managers whenever they want and by refilling their player pool every transfer period because they have the financial wherewithal...something Dortmund is not in a position to do. Therefore, they cannot afford to have any transfer or coaching mishaps in order to compete with Bayern because every setback sets them back multiple steps which takes a much longer period to overcome due to the fact that Bayern does not sit on their laurels but rather replenishes their squad year-in, year-out.

When Bayern finishes the Ruckrunde with only one draw and the rest wins then Dortmund will have to pretty much be perfect against every other team and then beat Bayern in one of their two meetings. With Watzke stating today that he will "no longer be playing that game" referring to making public proclamations on season goals shows a defeatist attitude but, then again, can you blame him when he knows that in the current climate it is almost impossible for Dortmund to compete.

astrophyz and Raumdeuter repped this.
  13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Basically what I've been saying for years: When your competing with Bayern domestically you can't make any mistakes.

14. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

The new shirt lucks ugly in my opinion and I can't even express why I think it's terrible. Just too much I guess. But as usual, it's a matter of taste.
    I wished they'd bring back the special and almost completely black set of last december's game against Düsseldorf. It looked badass, payed homage to the region's coal and steel history and was that popular that it crashed the club's online shop.

15. Oliseh

Oliseh Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Croatia
    Nov 29, 2019
    Every shirt is matter of taste. Imo this looks i would say modern, problem with modern stuff is that usualy they look "too much" you would say..
    I miss Nike BvB shirt, i lile Nike the most and Nike design is the best!

16. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might prefer the more traditional look but I think they pulled off the new shirt design well. I kinda wish they could rotate between the old design and this new one.

17. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Are you kidding me?!?! When Bayern Wins all their game and we come in second with a few lost against good team. I'll still be happy. But when Bayern is at their weakest in years and we still lose by 10+ points because we lose game to bottom feeders and relegated teams and the FO didnt have the balls to make a coaching change I'm gonna be pissed. And when Watzke says : "...he backed Lucien Favre to put an end to the prejudices that exist against him next season"
    Well it tells me he his clueless too and deserve to go as well. He will earn all the prejudice coming his way next season when we barely make CL with Hakimi and Sancho gone. And he'll be the first surprise that the remainders of our good players want out as well.

BVBFNM and Alex C repped this.
  18. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Like I said, Dortmund would have to be perfect every season in order to be able to take advantage of the rare opportunity that Bayern provides them when they're off form like it was the case last season. Dortmund needed to take advantage last season and win the title Because Bayern doesn't sit on their laurels and wait but rather fires their coach and upgrades their team right away. They can do that because they have the financial wherewithals to eat up and absorb Kovac's remaining contract, sign the new coach, and spend any money on new transfers to upgrade the team. In other words, when Bayern makes a mistake with coaching and transfers the effect is not felt much at all and they're right back to normal in no time. When Dortmund hires a coach that isn't up to par or signs a player that flops then they do not have the financial standing to just absorb those losses that easily while hiring a replacement and or a signing a new big money player because they still have to pay for the flops and that sets them back quite a lot. That is the propblem in this economic football climate of today because the separation between the tiers of teams such as Bayern and Dortmund is huge.

19. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Are you seriously saying the the 13th most lucrative team in Europe can't absorb a 4.5 Million Euro salary(Yes that's what Favre is paid!!)

If you said they are blatantly cheap and value money more then having a competitive team the I might agree with you....

4 F.C.Bayern Munich [​IMG] Germany revenue: 751
    13 Borussia Dortmund [​IMG] Germany revenue: 379

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

20. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    The point is not whether they can absorb a one-time 4.5M loss because they surely can. The issue is that the replacement coach and any new player signing all have to be 100% hits because, unlike Bayern, our budget does not allow for such misses year-in-year-out to be just written off due to a huge budget which would allow to just reload next signing period by making up for the mistake and signing someone else while the "mistake" can sit on the bench or be sold off for a loss.

Mistakes at Dortmund are players like Schultz who have not only cost us 25M for no production but are also taking up a nice chunk of wages too while doing nothing. Moreover, it is also that much harder to try and sell the player (even at a significant loss) because he knows that he will never get the salary he has now at any other potential suitor so why go?

The margin of error for Dortmund is magnitudes smaller than at Bayern so they cannot afford to make mistakes like Schurrle, Toprak, Castro, Schultz, etc. Can you trust Zorc and Co. to do this?

21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbf I don't think a Schulz-level error condemns BVB to failure, especially when you have massive successes on the other side of the ledger. You are also looking at 100s of millions in surplus on-field value and future transfer fees from the likes of Sancho, Zagadou, Reyna, Haaland, et al. (Keep in mind I am not saying they are going to be sold early, but that their individual production outstrips the investment even without selling)

In the case of Schulz you can point to the few and dubious performances he has had for Dortmund so far, but the lack of value is even more due to Raphaël's contract extension followed by a healthy world-class season (both surprises). In a sense it's a good problem to have.

MtnGardener repped this.