Bundesliga on FOX 2015-16 - News and Notes

Discussion in 'Germany' started by The Friendly Ghost, Jun 3, 2015.

1. The Friendly Ghost

Jul 24, 2007
    FOX will be the new TV broadcaster for Bundesliga games in the US, beginning this season. There are still a lot of unanswered questions, though, and I thought opening this thread now to exchange information, rumors, kudos and complaints might be of interest.

Some of my questions:

On what channels will the games be broadcast? While I would doubt that FOX itself will be used with any frequency, will FOX Sports 1 be the primary host of Bundesliga broadcasts, or will it end up being FOX Sports 2. After enduring GolTV and its SD broadcasts only on on my cable network, I hope it is not FS2, as FS2 is not in HD either. Will other FOX channels be used to broadcast games, such as FXX? Will regional FOX networks show games? Or will most (or all) games be broadcast on Fox Soccer Plus (at additional cost).

Will they have in-studio or on-site announcers? And who will be the announcers (what a great opportunity to develop American soccer broadcast talent)?

How many games will they show per week? Live or taped?

Will it be Bayern, Bayern and more Bayern, or will FOX actually recognize that there are other teams in the BL. GolTV's swan song a couple Saturdays ago was to show the truly meaningless Bayern-Mainz game live, despite the fact that there were a half-dozen games that had implications of varying degrees with respect to relegation and/or UEFA qualification Why not show Paderborn/Stuttgart or Hannover/Freiburg, both of which were essentially relegation playoffs. I understand Bayern draws more eyeballs than Stuttgart, and I fully expect a healthy does of Bayern, but will FOX acknowledge that Leverkusen/Wolfsburg would be a better game to broadcast than Bayern/Ingolstadt?

Will there be a weekly BL highlights show? Or a weekly preview show?

I've heard (but haven't seen anything confirming) that FOX also has the rights to BL2 games. Will any BL2 games be broadcast? Can we watch TSV 1860 play Bochum on FS2, maybe, on Monday afternoon?

Dhajj repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  3. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As a Bayern fan, I fully expect all Bayern games to be accessible. I am also hoping to be able to catch the other games too though. In a perfect world, they would offer Konferenz for the games but I figure that's too much to ask for. Hoping BL2 is shown too.

goindownsouth repped this.
  4. Anayaliahtor69

Anayaliahtor69 New Member

Jun 10, 2015
    tbh I do see it being a lot of Bayern Munich, and maybe BVB but I hope to see all the teams and on FS1 would be huge for soccer in the states. Even if its a German league.

5. mat r.

mat r. Member

Jan 17, 2013
    New Mexico
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i tweeted fox and asked them point blank, what's the deal on your bundesliga coverage and i have yet to get a responce from them. there are several things i'd like to have as a man who loves his bundesliga.

for one, i was one of the poor saps that lost goltv when beIN sport took over on directv. so i missed my niels jager bundesliga magazine fix. i hope niels has something to do with the fox deal as i like him as a host. i am hoping for 3-5 bundesliga games a week and as friendly ghost stated, i hope fox don't oversaturate us with bayern munich coverage. as there are other teams in the league who need tv time as well. i hope we get a review show on monday or tuesdays to review the weekend's action.

i need to know the channels the games are going to be on so i can plan ahead. if they are going to air games on fox soccer plus, i need to know so i can budget that come august. i am very excited about the bundesliga coming to my television screen and look foward to watching, IMO, the best league in the world.

6. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Point blank tweets? I guess they were too intimidated to respond. Good luck with budgeting your time 2 months early. It pays to be well organized.

7. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best case scenario: I suspect we will see the Friday match on FS2, Saturday morning and afternoon match on Fox Soccer Plus and same for sunday.

I would be shocked if any matches are on FS1. Especially since the time will be up against American college sports like Football. Or Nascar.

Reality: Only Bayern matches shown live, and if you want anything else you have to pay for FoxSoccer2go.

8. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't trust Fox.

10. Huckeye

Huckeye Member+

St Pauli
    May 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sigh you probably are right...Hopefully I dont need to upgrade my cable package...

11. The Friendly Ghost

Jul 24, 2007
    Best case scenario, or [Realistic] best case scenario? I think you are a bit negative, and here's my rationale:

1. I think the BL wants to get a better foothold in the US and wouldn't have done a deal unless FOX promised reasonable exposure.

2. FOX wanted a decent soccer property, and while the BL isn't the Premiership, and might not be La Liga, in terms of potential viewers, it still has a good bit of cache, so why would FOX bury it entirely.

3. FOX wants to demonstrate that it takes soccer seriously--hence its efforts with respect to the WWC--and will be loathe to forfeit to much of that good will by pissing off soccer fans who want to watch top flight European play.

4. FOX uses FS1 to broadcast CL games.

5. Live soccer from a top league beats much of the dreck on FS1 in the a.m. on weekends. The big conflicts are, as you point out, NASCAR, college football, pro football and college basketball (and maybe UFC). None of those play/race Saturday or Sunday morning (ET) when BL is playing. Pregame for college football on Saturdays could create a conflict, but I would think Sunday morning would be OK, since NFL pregames generally don't start before 11:30 a.m. ET (which is when the broadcast of the BL would be over).

So, a best case scenario is that FOX shows games live on FS1 on Friday afternoon, and the 9:30 a.m. (ET) slots on Saturday and Sunday; and games live on FS2 in the 11:30 a.m. (ET) slots on Saturday and Sunday; and a BL2 game on Monday afternoon. Oh, and a highlights/preview show at midnight during the week. And other games on FOX Sports+.

Now, that scenario is truly a best case. What I don't think is unreasonable and what I think represents a realistic best case scenario is: Friday game and one of the 9:30 games (whether Saturday or Sunday, depending on other programming) live on FS1; and to the extent that Bayern is not shown in either of those slots, the Bayern game on FS2. Plus other games on Fox Sports+.

When all is said and done, because I am at the local soccer fields all day Saturday and a good chunk of Sunday during Fall and Spring, I would be satisfied with a single game each week (because it is all I have time to watch), but the game has to be on FS1 and should preferably be live (although I am OK with a taped game, esp. Friday, so long as it is same day and not too long after the game was played). I am not going to pay extra for FOX Sports+ because I can watch other games in other leagues for "free" on my schedule and I will rarely watch on FS2 unless it is in HD (and my provider currently does not broadcast FS2 in HD--and the other provider where I live doesn't even have FS2).

12. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's a post I made about a year ago. If you understand German, the article is still there. Seems relevant and probably takes away the worries of many people that Fox will hide the Bundesliga on their app exclusively.

So 1-2 games a week on FS1. I wonder if that means we get another game on FS2. Surely the other games will be on the app. Also with 1-2 live games per week on FS1, I would figure they will take the time to have a weekly BL show too.

13. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    goindownsouth repped this.
  14. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No indication that this is "for pay" though. Yet. NBC did not charge to live stream BPL matches through their app. So...

15. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FoxSoccer2Go is a pay app. $20 per month. They might have something for free on Fox Sports Go, although nothing has been announced yet. I am hopeful we do get 2 games per week live on TV though. The FS2Go app seems more something for the BL super fan that wants to see all the games whenever he/she wants. Additionally, you get CL and EL too. I know the app has permitted me to see plenty of Bayern CL games I otherwise would not get. You get the British commentary too, not the American one, which IMO is a bonus.

16. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will say, if Fox's alleged solution is to show two or three live matches every week, they are wasting their money. It will be a piss poor use of time and resources. That is not how you market a brand. See: MLS. Hell, even MLS is on TV a tad more some weeks. Although MLS subscription service is laughable.

17. Amir FC

Amir FC New Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    At least you guys have a channel for Bundesliga, no news for Canada yet.

Liquid1010 repped this.
  18. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is all well reasoned, but the big issue is that Fox has a bunch of college football games on during BL match times. They aren't going to show any BL matches on Saturdays during college football season.

19. The Friendly Ghost

Jul 24, 2007
    I disagree about college football. While I am not a regular consumer of college football, I don't recall televised games ever starting before Noon ET. Most of the BL games on Saturday start at 9:30 a.m. ET, and are over at 11:30 a.m. ET. Yes, the 11:30 a.m. ET BL game conflicts, so I would never expect to see an 11:30 a.m. game televised live during football season, but as I said, most of the BL games on Saturday are over before CFB games would start.

That being said, my concern is the CFB pregame shows. I NEVER watch pregame shows (even for soccer), so I don't know if FS1 even has pregame shows, but I suspect they do (didn't they hire that Erin Andrews for that reason), and the question is, when do they start? If they start at, say 11:00 a.m. ET, I could very well envision Fox not wanting to cut into that, which would eliminate the live telecast of any BL games on FS1.

To my mind, that makes Sunday a better bet, because I think the NFL pregame is on big FOX. Broadcasting the 9:30 a.m. ET Sunday game shouldn't preempt any priority programming.

And let's keep in mind that by mid-November CFB is winding down and Fox doesn't have a similar property that would prevent FS1 from broadcasting games live Saturday morning through the end of the BL season.

Of course, I would have expected FOX to promote its partnership with the BL during its WWC broadcasts, and it did not (or at least not when I was watching), and that's a bit discouraging.

Another thought: might Fox sublicense (if that's the right word) BL broadcasts to another network. GolTV continues to show old BL games and the other day even replayed their end-of-the-season BL wrap-up, which I wouldn't expect if GolTV didn't think it still might get a piece of the BL pie. On a personal level, that would be disappointing because, while I get GolTV, I don't have it in HD and the picture quality on SD is really inferior (so much so that I find myself flipping for long periods of time to EPL games on NBCSN and Serie A games on beinSport).

nekkibasara repped this.
  20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Currently Fox runs a pregame show before their college football games at 11:00AM eastern. Unless they decide to reduce the pregame show to 30 minutes it will not work with the BL coverage.
    I'm a cynic by nature and I just don't see Fox giving top billing to the BL. I hope they do, but I think we will have to deal with SD broadcasts on FS2 and FoxSoccerPlus or streaming for $20/month on FoxSoccer2go.com.

21. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They could run their pregame show on the main Fox station, or on FS2.

22. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know its hard to believe, but they pregame show for college football is going to get way better ratings than the BL.

23. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So why not run it on the main Fox channel?

24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because fox has shown over many years that they can't get their shit together when it comes to football coverage.

25. The Friendly Ghost

Jul 24, 2007
    To your point, I agree that FOX is going to have to work to fit the BL telecasts in. I think there's a way; the question is whether there's a will.