Bundesliga half-time analysis

Discussion in 'Germany' started by benztown, Dec 18, 2005.

1. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    So, half the season is over, time to look at how the teams did compared to the expectations and what more to expect (if you want to campare that with everybodys pre-season predictions, you'll find them here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220982&page=1&pp=15):

Bayern München:
    No surprises here. Once again Bayern is the team to beat. Only Roy Makaay didn't do as good as expected, but obviously it's still enough to dominate the league with a new Bundesliga record of 14 wins in the first half of the season.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 1-3
    Now: Place 1-2

Hamburger SV:
    Even though it was clear from the beginning, that Hamburg's team would be pretty strong, it is still a surprise just how well thay did. Van der Vaart was more of a reinforcement than I expected. Hamburg's only problem might be the fact that they are too dependent on VdV.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 3-8
    Now: Place 1-4

Werder Bremen:
    With the Bundesliga's best offence, it comes as no surprise, that Bremen once again is one of the main rivals of Bayern this year.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 1-5
    Now: Place 1-3

FC Schalke 04:
    In spite of their big signings, Schalke couldn't do as well as last year. I'm also pretty sure, that the sacking of Rangnick was a big mistake, as he is the coach with the best record in Schalke's history. With all the financial troubles, Schalke is in, we might see the beginning of a second Dortmundesque downfall if they won't reach the Champions league.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 2-5
    Now: Place 2-6

Hertha BSC Berlin:
    Pretty much as expected. Good, solid team, but not good enough to cope with the top three of the season. Berlin is also reported to have quite some monetary problems, so they definately have to reach a UEFA Cup spot. On the plus side: Hertha doesn't seem to be as dependent on Marcelinho as they were last season.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 3-7
    Now: Place 4-7

VfB Stuttgart:
    Unfortunately they didn't get a Hleb replacement plus the team needed longer to adjust themselves to Trappatoni than expected. They made a new record in drawing games. Now they're again talking about getting a Hleb replacement. Much will depend on who they'll get (if anyone at all).
    My pre-season prediction: Place 2-5
    Now: Place 4-7

Borussia Mönchengladbach:
    Without a doubt THE surprise team of the first half of the season. But I even sort of expected that (quote "And if it all works out well, they can even be a surprise team." :cool: ) because all the good players were there and finally they managed to form a real team out of them. I was still surprised of how well they did though, even without Elber.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 10-16
    Now: Place 7-12

Hannover 96:
    Hanover looks pretty stable in the midfield of the table and the team seems to get more and more adjusted to oneanother. No real surprise here.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 7-12
    Now: Place 7-12

Borussia Dortmund:
    Dortmund had a weak finish in 2005. Yet they seem to have potential. I expect them to do better next year. They have a young and motivated team. If they however sell Rosicky during winter break it could be a little more difficult for them.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 5-11
    Now: Place 5-11

Eintracht Frankfurt:
    After a horrible first quarter of the season, they've finished strong and are the second surprise team. Very hard to predict though.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 13-18
    Now: Place 8-14

Arminia Bielefeld:
    Also a surprise. The new players (especially Zouma) fit in well and made you forget about the losses after last season. However I doubt that they can continue this performance. But it looks unlikely for them to get relegated now.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 14-18
    Now: Place 10-16

Bayer 04 Leverkusen:
    Definately a big disappointment. I think they have more quality that what they showed recently, but it's still just not enough to cope with the expectations.This season is pretty much lost already for Leverkusen. Also I've never been a big fan of Skibbe. I don't think he can really help the team. Still very hard to predict whether they'll get back on track or not. I think they will improve after the winter break.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 3-6
    Now: Place 7-13

VfL Wolfsburg:
    Another big disappointment. They had a very weak finish and seem to not even want to play any more. There is no visible teamplay and the players' attitude seems to be just awful. Maybe a new coach next year can help them find their way again as the players have definately more quality than they showed so far. But it's going to be tough for anyone in charge of the team.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 7-12

1. FSV Mainz 05:
    Mainz was extremely unlucky in the first couple of matches but they came back. They still have to fight if they don't want to get relegated but I think their chances are rather good.

1. FC Nürnberg:
    A poor performance by Nürnberg so far, but it was sort of expected. I see at least a 50% chance for them getting relegated.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 11-16
    Now: Place 14-18

1. FC Köln:
    After starting well, Köln hasn't won in 12 games. The team is in bad form right now and by having to deal with injuries constantly it's not that big of a surprise after all. A lot depends now on the preparations during winter break. Köln can come back and avoid being relegated if the new coach can get the team back on track.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 11-17
    Now: Place 13-18

MSV Duisburg:
    Duisburg was the #1 candidate for relegation before the season started and there hasn't changed much. Of course they can still avoid it, but it's rather unlikely.
    My pre-season prediction: Place 14-18

1. FC Kaiserslautern:
    After starting strong, Kaiserslautern collapsed. Finally, after not winning for 13 matches they won their last game of the year. They can avoid relegation if they finally get their defence straight (44 goals conceded so far). It also depends a lot on Altintop who is #2 striker behind Klose. If he can maintain his form and the defence improves they might still make it.

Since it's most fun to have an actual prediction of the final table, here's what I think is most likely at the moment:

1. Bayern München
    2. Werder Bremen
    3. Hamburger SV
    4. FC Schalke 05
    5. VfB Stuttgart
    6. Hertha BSC Berlin
    7. Borussia Dortmund
    8. Bayer Leverkusen
    9. Borussia Mönchengladbach
    10. Hannover 96
    11. Eintracht Frankfurt
    12. VfL Wolfsburg
    13. FSV Mainz 05
    14. Arminia Bielefeld
    15. 1. FC Köln
    16. 1. FC Kaiserslautern
    17. 1. FC Nürnberg
    18. MSV Duisburg

2. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I have lots of free time, so i think i'll do one of these as well.

Bayern Muenchen:
    Well, their doing as everyone expected, so far they are cruising towards the title. I don't see anyone stopping them in the second half of the season. They have had a little luck in winning some games this season(like against Dortmund) but overall have still been the best side. Competed well in the CL but they could've won the group had they not played so poorly in their last game against Club Brugge. Beating AC Milan will be very tough.

Schalke 04:
    As always, were happy to buy up a bunch of players in the summer. Some, such as Kuranyi or Larsen, have generally been a success. Others, like Ernst or Bajramovic, haven't. Have played well overall, but don't seem to have it in them to challenge for the title. CL will be tough to reach. They were unlucky not to go through to the next round in this years competition. Firing Rangnick was plainly stupid, shows how Assauers ego isn't always helpful.

Werder Bremen:
    Playing wise, have been arguably the best team this season. They have been wonderful to watch and have the best German striker in Miro Klose. If anyone can challenge Bayern, its them. Also, a great comeback in the CL.

Hertha BSC Berlin:
    a bit of a downgrade on last year. They are in the uefa cup spots, but frankly, they don't deserve it. Pantelic has not completely solved their striker issue, he has been okay, but no pure goalscorer. If Hertha do not improve, they may find themselves struggling hard to reach Europe next season.

VfB Stuttgart:
    I could give a 5000 word essay on this, but i'll keep it short. We struggled at first under the new tactics used by Trappatoni, slowly we are getting better and the team is slowly getting over the aftermath that Sammer left. We replaced Kuranyi well with JDT(an upgrade, when he isn't injured or suspended) and Ljuboja, Gomez and Gentner are also showing their talent now. Gronkjaer has been a bit of a dissapointment so far. Not replacing Hleb was the big problem, but hopefully we'll do that this winter break. Nonetheless, we are on the way up and i'm confident we'll make Europe again next season.

Bayer Leverkusen:
    I still don't think Auge should've been fired, Skibbe has returned mixed results so far. This is gonna be a midtable year for them unless they buy some strong defenders this winter. Going out to CSKA was really terrible.

HSV:
    They are back at the top of the BL after 2 average seasons, Doll should get credit for this. Van der Vaart has proved to be perhaps the best buy of the summer season by any teams. I don't see HSV challenging for the title yet this season, but they do seem on course for a CL spot. I would advise them not to be overly confident that they will make it, or they might suffer the same feat as us last year. But nonetheless, they are definetely looking like the will make it right now.

Borussia Dortmund:
    No real improvement on last year, but they have been unlucky with their injuries. With Rosicky seemingly on his way out, i don't see them moving up and posing a threat in the second half of the season, but who knows. After all, lets not forget their excellent rueckrunde last year.

Wolfsburg:
    More than ever before, the grey mouse of the Bundesliga. I'm surprised Fach hasn't been fired yet. If they don't seriously watch out, they could yet face a relegation battle, despite their talents being clearly above such a fight.

Hannover 96:
    Most people predicted Lienen would leventually eave, and there were no surprises there. Neururer has made an instant impact but we'll have to see whether this lasts in the long term. They had promising pre-season buys, Hashemian hasn't been anything special, but with his favorite coach in Hannover, that might change. Delura has had flashes of very good play. Hannover are in my opinion, like Gladbach, outsiders for Europe.

1. FC Kaiserslautern
    From the get-go, they were one of the relegation favourites, and that remains the case. Wolf may help them, but i think its going to be real tough for them to make it. If one looks ahead to the future, its even more bleak as their life-aid Altintop is gonna be on his way out at the end of the season and their financial troubles are hardly improving.

Arminia Bielefeld
    Also one of the relegation favourites at the start of the year with key players like Buckley having left the club. Have definetely surprised so far, and it looks like they will make it again. Zuma has been my personal favourite player on the team.

Borussia Muenchengladbach:
    Horst Koeppel has undelrined my belief at the start of the season that he was a good hire. Gladbach have been, along with HSV, the most improved side so far this season. Europe is a longshot, but if they keep this up, then who knows. Its a shame to see how Elber has flopped, but still a solid season so far. Neuville should perhaps return to the NT.

FSV Mainz 05:
    Also relegation candidates but have done about the same as last year so far. They bounced back from their 0 points after 5 games and although it won't be easy, they stand a fair chance of staying up.

1. FC Nuernberg:
    Had a horror start but hiring Hans Meyer was a good move, and now i think they stand a good chance of staying up. Mintal is set to return after the winter break and that should further help their chances.

1. FC Koeln:
    Were considered the best newly promoted team at the start of the season but have so far been very dissapointing. All of a sudden, people have realised survival won't be a walk in the park for this side, but they still have a chance if they play up to their ability. Rapolder was a dissapointment, i expected him to do much more, and Podolski has also dissapointed up to this point.

MSV Duisburg:
    My favourites for relegation. They simply don't seem to have any outstanding individual talent whatsoever and they have so far seemed to show that they belong in the 2.BL.

Eintracht Frankfurt:
    Have been easily the best newly-promoted side. Players such as Copado have been great to watch at times and Funkel has also completed some good work with the side. Should have no problem staying up.

End Standings:
    1. Bayern
    2. Bremen
    3. Hamburg
    4. Stuttgart
    5. Schalke
    6. Herta
    7. Gladbach
    8. Leverkusen
    9. Hannover
    10. Dortmund
    11. Wolfsburg
    12. Frankfurt
    13. Bielefeld
    14. Nuernberg
    15. Koeln
    16. Mainz
    17. Kaiserslautern
    18. Duisburg.

3. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    Geez, why is everyone always repeating that vdV-thing? Just face the facts, we didn't lose one game without him! We won vs. Schalke without him, we played 1-1 in Bremen without him, we kicked ass against Prague without him. It's just not true that this team is too dependent on him or can do nothing without him. Yes, he's the man, he's important and he certainly is the best player wearing a HSV jersey in the last 20 to 25 years, but still there are a couple of other good players.

4. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany

Fach and Strunz have been fired today.

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have to agree on the vdv bit. He is one of the best players in the BL right now, but HSV seems to be able to comprehense the loss. Great team spirit, more than bayern if you ask me.

6. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Amen. The timing could not have been better. This means that someone with half a brain (hopefully) will have a say in how to spend the Petrov money. I am just amazed that Wolfsburg thought that Strunz and Fach were remotely competent in the first instance. The sad thing (actually, a sad thing, because there are many sad things relative to this) is that Wolfsburg ran off Pander and some very good coaches (Wolf, Roeber, Gerets) to get the dipsh_t duo of Strunz and Fach.

On to other things. Agree with Daniel on HSV. I thought this was a very good team even w/o the VDV signing. I figured the VDV signing wouldn't hurt, but thought this was a nicely balanced, well-stocked team. That being said, one of their big weaknesses last year, I thought, was the lack of an effective playmaker, and VDV fills that bill.

To me the biggest good surprise has been Bremen. I think there were a lot of question marks about this team heading into the season (review the posts in the threads like this one at the beginning of the season), and they've been quite good nevertheless. Personally, I don't think there is any better managed team in the BL (from top to bottom) than Werder, and only a handful in the world that compare. You put Werder's management team in charge of Hertha or Dortmund, for example, and you'd have a monster of a team.

The biggest bad surprise: I have to give this honor to Cologne. I thought they would be a comfortable mid-table team, and they've been really wretched as of late. A close second is Leverkusen, who seem to be a team in transition. And I think Schalke has to be considered a disappointment as well. I thought they were a second-place team.

A prediction for the second half:

Champion's League:

1. Bayern (just too much)
    2. Bremen (this team will only get better)
    3. HSV (a very solid team; needs to find a consistent goal scorer)

UEFA (this is where things get tricky):

4. Schalke (on talent, but conditional on an effective new coach)
    5. Stuttgart (seem to be getting the hang of things under Trap)

Intertoto:

6. Hertha (as Marcelinho goes, so goes Hertha)
    7. No one
    8. No one

OK, OK, if I have to pick some teams, here's what it would look like:

7. Gladbach (hard to watch, but have a shot at 50 points)
    8. Leverkusen (still a lot of talent on this team)

Comfortably Numb:

9. Dortmund (good coach, but not deep or particularly talented)
    10. Hannover (mediocrity personified)
    11. Wolfsburg (think the "Lion" on the Wizard of Oz--needs heart)

Sweating it out until the end:

12. Nuremberg (boosted by Mintal's return)
    13. Mainz (not very good, but not as bad as others)
    14. Frankfurt (who'd of thunk it)
    15. Bielefeld (huh? isn't Bielefeld supposed to be relegated?)

Welcome to the 2.BL:

16. Cologne (tough call, but this team is trending downward)
    17. Kaiserslautern (is this the end of 1.FCK as we know it?)
    18. Duisburg (just not enough horses, striped or otherwise)

7. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hertha have been horrible, but for the past few weeks, no one has been healthy (Gilberto, Basturk, Simunic, Fathi, Dardai, Pantelic, Rafael) that we're bound to be pretty bad.

But I have faith that the break will give us better legs. I think we can make a run in the 2nd half of the season.

And we have shown glimpses of what we can do w/out Marcelinho. But we are still too dependent on him, as wolfsburgh ably said.

I still think bayern are gonna win the championship, but I think Werder will come 2nd and HSV comes 3rd, with Schalke 4th, Hertha 5th, Stuttgart 6th. I think it'll be a good race, I think HSV will slip a bit in the winter break and I think Schalke Hertha and Stuttgart will all make runs to battle it out for the 3rd spot.

8. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    I’m interested in what VW and Bayer will do in the future.

What’s the point in financing mid table teams?

Are they going to be happy with that in the long term?

If not they have 2 solutions.

Take a risk and throw a whole lot of money at the teams again and hope to move up the table in the following years.

Or just forget about the whole thing, cut funding and let them relegate.

9. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    I don't think Bayer will cut the purse strings this soon.

However, they have done that before..

look what happened to the former Bayer 05 (now KFC, and not the chicken!) Uerdingen. Bayer cut the strings in 1996, and they're now in the Oberliga Nordrhein.

10. DanielHSV

DanielHSV New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    No.2 would be my personal football dream come true ;)
    But this won't happen. The adverstising is just too good for Bayer and VW. Just think about all the TV-time they get out the teams.

@Jaison
    But they did that cos they figured out that 1 team is enough. So they did cut down 1 out of 2 but they will keep Leverkusen.

11. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Seems a bit premature. Leverkusen has had some really good teams in the last decade. A down season does not suggest they are a perennial mid-table team. Wolfsburg has never been anything but a mid-table team since its rise to the 1.BL, so any notion that VW is going to change its support of the club because they are midtable seems to be lacking factual support. You don't mention a 3rd solution: status quo.

12. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Schalke's been a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde team this year. Their Bundesliga form has been completely uninspiring, with quite a few dull wins. However, they had some very spirited displays in the Champion's League and nearly qualified for the next round in the toughest group. If they could display that same spirit in BL games I think we'd be closer to the top 3 than we are. However, my feelings for the 2nd half of the season are not too optimistic. The atmosphere after Rangnick's departure doesn't seem to healthy at the moment, especially the way Assauer (SauerAss) treated him. We let one of the best coaches and tacticians in the BL go, and it'll be hard to replace him. I'll wait and see I guess...

My predictions now for the table at the end of the season

1. Bayern
    2. Werder
    3. HSV
    4. Schalke (optimistic, but we'll see)
    5. Borussia Dortmund (I could see a 2nd half surge ala last year)
    6. Borussia Mönchengladbach
    7. Stuttgart
    8. Hertha
    9. Frankfurt
    10. Hannover 96
    11. Arminia Bielefeld
    12. Mainz 05
    13. Bayer Leverkusen
    14. 1 FC Köln (I predict a better 2nd half)
    15. Wolfsburg
    16. Nürnberg
    17. Duisburg
    18. Kaiserslautern

13. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Leverkusen were among the top teams at a time when many traditional clubs were going through difficulties.

Now most of them have brand new stadiums(more money) and it will be very difficult for Leverkusen to get ahead of Hamburg, Schalke ,Werder, or even Gladbach or Hannover in the future. The best they can hope is to get a UEFA cup spot if they play a very good season.

Wolfsburg have been mediocre , but have always had the ambition to move up.

What will VW do when they realize that a CL place will remain only a fantasy?

14. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    True true..

I would love this too...
    I want their demise as much as I want Fortuna Düsseldorf (only because it's my mom's hometown), St. Pauli and Eintracht Braunschweig to bounce back.

15. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's the spirit. The BL would such a much better league if we had inept Fortuna, bankrupt St. Pauli and has-been Eintracht in the BL. While we're at it, let's prune the BL of all teams who have spent at least 20 years in the top flight who have yet to win a 1.BL championship. They certainly haven't added much to the league.

16. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm not sure about the statement about Leverkusen being up while others were down. They've been good for quite some time, and I don't buy the idea that all the traditional clubs were having difficulties over this extended period. As is always the case, some teams are up, some teams are down. Look no further than Dortmund. That statement also overlooks Leverkusen's run in the CL a few years ago. For your statement to hold water, you'd have to expand it to include traditional clubs in England, Spain and Italy, and we know that's not the case.

As for stadium, I agree that they provide significant income. But, there are two obvious solutions: one, ride out the cycle, as the stadiums will cease to be moneymakers if the team playing in it doesn't excel; and two, expand or build your own stadium. Isn't that what the other clubs did?

I could be off-base about this, but I think the value to VW is have Vfl in the 1.BL, not the CL. While the CL would be nice, it is not the club's reason for existence. I think that point is illustrated by the fact that Wolfsburg's new stadium only seats 25K; if VW had grandiose ambitions, they would have built a larger stadium. The size of the stadium tells me VW has very reasonable expectations for the club (IMHO, a club capable of contending consistently for a spot in a European competition).

17. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    I'm not saying it's realistic or good for the league.. it's just my pipe dream...

18. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fair enough. I've consistently believed that the BL each year features the 18 clubs most deserving of that status, which is part of the beauty of the league. I get a bit peeved when people complain about the so-called "plastic" clubs as if they don't belong in the BL because they don't have "tradition" or legions of fan clubs or a lot of hooligans. Wolfsburg and Leverkusen earned their status in the BL just like Bayern Munich and Schalke before them: by on-the-field performance. While I have sympathy for fallen giants (and not-so-giant fallens), the bottom line is they fell short the only place it counts: between the white lines.

19. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Leverkusen and Wolfsburg have pretty small stadia, since they don't draw many fans. It wouldn't make sense for them to build a bigger staduim.

One team that could really use a new football specific stadium is Stuttgart. No wonder they don't draw too many fans in that stupid bowl (still almost twice as much as Wolfsburg & Leverkusen though). I think the problem is though, that they already put too much money in the Gottlieb Daimler Stadion. There are plans to get rid of the track and make a real football stadium out of it which was supposed to start after the World Cup, but the city of Stuttgart doesn't support this yet, as they have stupid ambitions all the time (Olympics, athletics etc.). Personally I'm rather pessimistic (http://www.pro-vfb-stadion.de).

20. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Great post! I get peeved by this as well and it happens all the time. :mad:

21. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Leverkusen could have a bigger stadium,
    their stadium is full at most of the matches.

capacity: 22500 average:22.222 (98,76% - That´s great)

22. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    [QUOTE="Eisenfuß" Eilts]Leverkusen could have a bigger stadium,
    their stadium is full at most of the matches.

capacity: 22500 average:22.222 (98,76% - That´s great)[/QUOTE]

You got a point there...but they still wouldn't draw as many fans as their local rivals, even though they've been much better in recent years.

23. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Out of interest, were you by chance at the VfB protest for having "ein echtes fussball-stadion"? 'Cause i saw there a short guy with a "benztown" shirt, and i know many people who have 'em, but it was back in September, a few weeks after you had last posted, and i did wonder whether it was you.

24. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I would've liked to go there, but I don't live in Stuttgart anymore. Plus I'm not really short :)

25. OP_M

OP_M New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    we have meyer, mintal will return and we can also invest some money from the upcoming kießling transfer.maybe krzynowek will return in the winter window.

we had a horrible start but the last matches were pretty good, i can realy see us staying up again.

don't wanna judge about other teams. :)