Bundesliga/Germany 2023-24 referee thread [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Jul 29, 2022.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Learned I have Covid today, so I’ll be watching a lot of TV the next 3-4 days. I’ll start the 22-23 Germany referee thread since I’m watching Dortmund in a Pokal match.. First off, I cannot say how much I don’t like the new Adidas referee kits. Those backpack stripes are awful. They look like something I’d loop around a four year old’s shoulders at the airport so I don’t lose him
    ……

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can a mod change ARs to Rs? Auto correct stinks. You can delete this post after fixing. Thanks!

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has obviously made the rounds online but I've yet to see what precipitated this. Why/how did the Leipzig player receive the ball in what seemed to be an obvious offside position (maybe he wasn't?), deep in his attacking third, and face no pressure from the nearest defender? Were Leipzig appearing to play the ball back? The fact that the Bayern player didn't challenge at all is confusing.

On the facts, of course the AR is correct. In the spirit of the game, I think many ARs would verbally tell the Bayern player that the ball was still in play (we say things like "ball's in" or "keep playing" all the time). Of course, it would be on stereotype for a German AR not to do so. Is there a right answer? No.

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Bayern's Davies was "injured" while Neuer had the ball in his hands. He threw the ball out of play so Davies could be treated. Olmo received the ball directly from the ensuing throw-in so he wasn't offside. I think he probably intended to roll the ball over the line but not too far so Bayern couldn't waste more time. But many people have suggested that he left the ball on the line on purpose.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    I watched a short part of a German match last week. Substitution being made. The board was held up by someone from the substituting team. The 4th seemed to be looking at the players cards. Is this common in Germany?

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that makes more sense.

I mean, without being able to discern Olmo's motives (I could be persuaded either way without having watched) and, frankly, regardless of what they were, ultimately it's the factually correct call by the AR. Whether or not it's the right way to go about it as the AR is debatable and probably up to personal taste.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's common in a lot of places and became more so during COVID. The team delegates are responsible in many/most European competitions for making sure the subs are ready and properly documented. In many competitions that extends to programming and displaying the board themselves. Actual instructions vary competition-to-competition, and within competitions practice might differ team-to-team and official-to-official, but it's not some wild anomaly.

8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    it seemed sort of "gotcha" to me given what everyone expected to be happening

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Again, falling back on stereotypes, it seemed quite German. I could see most English ARs saying "it's in, it's in, keep going" or something of the like.

Of course, such stereotypes aren't always neatly applicable.

10. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Red card for Leverkusen's goalkeeper Hradecky in stoppage time for handling outside the box after OFR. Look how Brych went to explain the decision to Hradecky.

Brych gave a detailed account after the match. "I explained it to Lukas Hradecky, I get on very well with him and I appreciate him. He's a fair sportsman who always comes after the game and says thank you, you can really talk to him. I was almost sorry that I had to make such a tough decision, but there was no other choice."

Really refreshing when a referee does this. Though not easy unless you are already experienced in the league and the players know you well.

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/f...hradecky-tat-mir-fast-leid-80931194.bild.html

IASocFan repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    While I like the way he talks to the GK, I’m not a fan of showing the red from 50 yards away while running.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. Everyone knew and Brych is Brych. I’m more taken aback by the spot of the free kick. Allowing Dortmund to get that position, given what the offence was and where it was, is definitely a no-no.

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99.9% of the time as an AR at the top level, it won't matter that you stopped sprinting there. But that 0.1% looks really bad on video.

14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Fair enough. I still don’t like the optics, but I that context you I take your point.(And VAR makes us live with some things we otherwise wouldn’t.)

15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thegreatwar and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the other side of the pendulum, right? Like if people want clear red cards given via an objective standard, then this is a red card. But most people involved in the game would say this is completely unnecessary to punish and that it’s the sort of “miss” that is okay (if they even concede it’s a miss).

With VAR founded on the premise that there is an objective standard for clear penalties and red cards, you were always either going to have stuff like this or the uncalled stuff you see in England. Given it’s a global game, it shouldn’t be surprising that you are seeing both types of incidents every weekend.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  17. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    #18 balu, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  18. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Is simple facts of refereeing life reported there, to be honest. Gräfe's opinion of himself is way too inflated. I think all refs in VAR leagues are struggling with consistency. DFB refereeing isn't great but you could create this article for any (top five) league very easily tbh.

19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Certainly true for the Serie A, given the shockers so far this season. Though I should point out that the majority of quotes and content in the article are not due to Gräfe.

20. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    You mean refereeing is full of politicking and ass kissing? No way

21. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  23. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Gräfe and the DFB could not agree on a settlement in their age limit dispute, and the matter is now in court. The DFB says that there is no age limit, and if someone still has the whole package, he could go on beyond 47 years old. Gräfe says that there is a large consensus among the referees that there is an age limit, and if not for the age, he would still be on the field.

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussba...inigen-a-687060d3-af6f-4f4e-81d2-53b7864be3e5

24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Gräfe is successful in his case against the DFB on age discrimination, and the court has ordered the DFB to pay 48,500 Euros to him. As part of the reasoning, the court pointed out that the last referees who were allowed to referee beyond 47 years of age were Heinz Aldinger and Walter Eschweiler, and that was in the early 1980s.

This may well help Brych and others to continue in the Bundesliga beyond 47 years old.

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/spor...efe-dfb-urteil-altersdiskriminierung-100.html

StarTime and IASocFan repped this.