Bundesliga Business thread

Discussion in 'Germany' started by zatopek, May 29, 2008.

1. zatopek

zatopek Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Lost in Webspace
    The Bundesliga with a Profit of 250 Million Euros and a Return of 18% reached Place nr. 1 among the european Top-Leagues.
    The German Clubs benefit from their better Salary Structure.
    The total Turnover of the League coincides with 1.4 Billion Euros leaner than the English league with about 3.2 Billion Euros.

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Re: Bundesliga top in Europe

see here, and that's a pretty misleading headline.

3. zatopek

zatopek Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Lost in Webspace

mea culpa frollein ;-)
    saw this headline two or three days ago, i think on yahoo sports, thought it was brandnew...
    tell the admin he may delete it - sorry about that!

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

No problem, I think it actually may have deserved it's own thread but aloisius was faster. ;)

Maybe we should open a new business thread that includes all money, takeover, revenue talk?

5. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

YES

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

Title changed. Work for everybody?

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Works for me.

9. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bundesliga TV Rights and Income

Hello fellow Bundesliga Fans,

I was curious about the Bundesliga and more specifically, how much the TV rights are worth/sold for. I haven't read or heard anything about this since leaving Germany, but I'm guessing they still lag far behind most of the other leagues in terms of valuation. Is there anyone who could shed a bit more light on how much the TV rights are bringing in and how the money is being divided amongst the teams

I did find this article, and I'm sure many more have come out in the German press on the same topic, so any links would be much appreciated.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/119217

As a non-FC Bayern Fan, I say sure, go ahead and take a bigger share of the money. Have fun playing the matches against yourself. Typical.

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Bundesliga TV Rights and Income

But hopefully not too much at the expense of the fans!

I personally don't need EPL conditions to enjoy football...

13. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't want to pay Arsenal prices to see a VfB match, but there's no denying that they could be doing more to catch up in the international marketing.

I hate to say it, but I am really rooting for FC Bayern to make a very deep Champions League run this year. We haven't had anyone win on that ultimate stage in years and could use the international exposure.

14. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    A few news:
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/artikel/207069/ablehe

DFB and the league held a meeting in Klagenfurt.

* Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Hans-Joachim Watzke (Dortmund) applied to have a Supercup-game between Bayern and Fortmund on july the 23rd. The league declined.

* the DFB-cup TV-money will be distributed more balanced in the future.
    In the 2st round every team will receive 95.000€ (54.000 so far), 2nd round 220.000 (110.000 so far), 3rd round: 500.000€, quarters: 900.000€, semis: 1.600.000. runner-up: 1.900.000, winner: 2.500.000.

Teams that are shown in free-tv on ARD or ZDF won't get extra money anymore. In the past clubs that were shown received:
    1st round:370.000€
    2nd round: 459.00€
    3rd round: 549.000€
    quarters: 639.000

Since games involving Bayern usually get the best rating Bayern were shown pretty much all the time and got a lot of money of course so they will be the team affected the most by this of course.

PREMIERE will show all cup games live and ARD and ZDF one game per round and all semis and the final.

15. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [AC Milan vice-president] Galliani added: "I cannot ignore that Italian football is now in fourth position in Europe behind England, Spain and Germany," he said in Gazzetta dello Sport.

16. Eric_101491

Eric_101491 New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Michigan
    I know that you all want the Bundesliga to flourish and get the recognition it deserves, BUT I for one wouldn't really care if we're thought of as a small league. AS LONG AS the fans are treated right. (low ticket prices, terracing, etc) This sounds really cliche but who cares if we're not "the best" as long as we're happy?

17. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If transfermarkt.de doesn't have it entirely wrong (I don't think so), the Bundesliga is the second biggest net spender on transfers this summer, some distance behind the Premier League and some distance ahead of the Russian Premier League which comes third.

The Spanish and Italian leagues are mainly doing some reshuffling, whereas the Bundesliga is doing quality upgrades and dumping less successful players. The investment is happening across the board, only Bayern, Stuttgart and Karlsruhe have achieved net transfer incomes so far.

No reason to expect an end to that as revenues still can rise and many clubs are still busy paying off debts for a number of further years.

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/basi...fers/transfer/menue_transfers/startseite.html

However, more than half of the total spendings come from just 3 teams (Wolfsburg, Schalke - the Engelaar transfer isn't listened yet - and Leverkusen)...

19. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bremen and Bayern evidently have similar sums to spend but haven't decided to do it yet. No idea what's happening in Stuttgart, possibly the stadium refurbishment has a higher priority. Only Hamburg officially has no money to spend :(

At the same time, clubs like Hertha, Frankfurt, Dortmund,... who hadn't really been investing for a good number of years are back at doing so. The league is looking very healthy.

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    exackery

21. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I don't care if the Bundesliga is worse then the EPL or LaLiga but I really want it to be on the same level as the other 2 big leagues and the gap shouldn't become too big.

22. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually, in the area of TV income, which makes the biggest difference, the league will be looking much more to increasing the numbers of pay TV subscribers among those who currently don't follow the league live or not at all on TV rather than looking towards serious price increases among current subscribers.

As for matchday income, I think there's a segment of "non-hardcore" supporters who only manage to go to matches once in a while and therefore probably aren't half as price sensitive as the regulars.

I think the gap to the EPL is already too big. But I think they are basically using all revenue sources to the near maximum already unlike the Bundesliga, so perhaps it can only get better unless they could "take over Asia" in the way they'd love to.

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the bundesliga setup is very good and it's not worth changing it just for a few teams to do better in europe.

They can try and do better by improving through the current means.

As long as the national side do well, I'm happy. The top 2 leagues can keep their hype. I don't care about being underrated anymore.

Also, even if the bundesliga plans to expand worldwide, it'll be really hard to match the popularity of the EPL and La Liga because those two are the 2 most spoken languages in the world...

24. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This has all nothing to do with "changing the setup" and the storyline of the Bundesliga lagging behind because it's so romantically "retro" and cheap is 90% non-sense anyway.

It's mainly a matter of getting back to where the league was between around 1996 and 2002 (or in fact to where the league had been for decades before 2002) before pay TV went bankrupt and an income stream collapsed without any football fans profiting from this. The recovery is happening. Between 2002 and and 2007 the league was marginalised and mediocre in a way no one could be pleased with.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok I agree with you then. I just don't want anything to be taken to the extent of the EPL or even La Liga.