Bundesliga and the rest: Domestic and European competition discussion

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    Leverkusen's only chance at the Europa drop down spot was the H2H vs Lokomotiv but they already botched the home match. Hard to see them pick up any points at all in the 4 matches vs Atletico and Juve. And then they have to travel to Russia for a tough away leg. Could very well finish the group with zero points.

2. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013

3. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I've been saying for many years now. The DFL should ban Leverkusen from European tournaments on account of them always embarrassing themselves and the Bundesliga.

4. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    The unfortunate reality is that the other usual suspects like Schalke and Gladbach are just as incompetent when it comes to the CL. It's been like that for years now. Other clubs like Wolfsburg and Frankfurt are still a noticeable notch below. And Hoffenheim have gone to the dumps now.

Only Bayern and Dortmund are consistent candidates to at least get past the group stage. Leipzig could be the Buli's next hope if they can progress this campaign with Nagelsmann in charge.

dips82 repped this.
  5. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Leverkusen will be a lower bottom table team in Bundesliga this season and will impact Havertz’s development this year

Blueberry_night repped this.
  6. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Unfortunately I strongly agree with this... The timing is not good, just before EC. Not like I expect much from this EC, I wrote somewhere in this forum, if crash and burn in next year EC is what it takes to fire that nose-eater, so be it. But I don't like the repercussion to Havertz development if Bayer and NT crash and burn simultaneously.

7. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    A loss was pretty much expected. But Frankfurt opening up their floodgates at the end vs Arsenal sure does kill their aggregate a lot more

8. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BmG 0 Wolfsberger 2

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol Rose who trashed Austrian teams now can't even perform against them, down 3-0.

that is the continuing issue with German clubs we suck in EL and usually only 2 relevant teams in Europe, Bayern and Dortmund.

10. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    Gladbach at home too, this embarrassment tops them all :ROFLMAO:

11. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BmG 0 Wolfsberger 4

12. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gladbach wtf. This is a ridiculous result, getting thrashed at home v the third best team in Austria. With Roma in the group qualification is going to be tough from here.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  13. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    It takes a certain mindset and strategy to play in European competition. Gladbach just look like a mentally weak team altogether

14. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    Gladbach is such a shit team. It's results like this why people don't take the Buli seriously.

BVBFNM repped this.
  15. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The Bundesliga's claim as one of the top four leagues in Europe is called into question when the clubs are routinely being bested and ousted by no-name clubs from Romania, Austria, Sweden and Ukraine in the Europa League.

Blueberry_night, nekkibasara and dips82 repped this.
  16. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Could it be because Dortmund was buying their best players and weakening them? Or thats only a Bayern crime

17. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tah and Ginter our 2 defensive stalwarts continues to perform poorly while Hummels being ignored by Loew

lamcam, Blueberry_night and nekkibasara repped this.
  18. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
  19. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tbf at least Schalke have made it out of the groups in the CL a few times. Even made Semi finals once

This season I think 3 teams in the CL last 16 is possible, hopefully 1 or 2 can make the 1/4 finals. In the EL I think Wolfsburg and Frankfurt can progress, Frankfurt actually played pretty well v Arsenal lots of chances, 24 shots and only conceded 2 late goals with 10 men. The result wasn't a fair reflection. Gladbach should be thrown out to avoid further humiliation. They made Leverkusen look almost competent.

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    between the legs isn't really definition of destroyed and Neuhaus isn't a defender anyways.

21. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not only a Bayern crime, but in Bayern's case it was a specific plan to weaken the competition, whereas with most teams it is simply about signing quality players.

The good thing is I think Dortmund have reached a level now where Bayern can no longer take their best players, maybe in the future one or two other clubs can build up enough to the point where they are also capable of hanging on to their top players for longer. Until then I don't see much hope of many teams performing in Europe, and if they do they will lose their top players like Frankfurt last season.

22. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tah dropped to bench after series of wonderful performance this season

23. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013
    Hertha's Javairo Dilrosun just dribbled past half of Paderborn's players for a goal, what a talent

24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yikes at Gladbach barely being able to get results. I think Plea being downward trending and Embolo (who never impressed at Schalke) not doing as much this season aren't helping.

25. Brandko

Brandko Member+

Dec 12, 2013