Bulldog guys - Why so standoffish?

Discussion in 'Colorado Supporters Clubs' started by JasonMa, Oct 21, 2010.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just found out that the Bulldog group is having a chili cookoff this weekend and it made me ask a question I've been wondering about this year. I'm just a random Class VI member, so maybe there's something going on I don't know about, but why haven't you guys joined Class VI and the Pid Army for our stuff outside the stadium? We had our third annual chili cookoff last home game, you could have just rolled yours into ours. I'm also not sure why you guys run your own tailgate instead of joining ours that we've been running for the last few years.

It just seems like you guys are trying to copy us while doing your own thing instead of joining us as one big group. Feels a bit standoffish to me but maybe there's something going on I don't know about.

2. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Over 80 views and still no reply from the Bulldog Group.

Perhaps the other groups need to have a commercial on ESPN. :D

I think the point that Jasonma is making ... is valid.

(I just puked a little bit in my mouth noticing I agree with him) :p

3. morerapidsplease

Apr 8, 2008
    Denver
    I believe it's called Vurping! :)

4. Colorado Supporters

Aug 10, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies for the late reply - as you guys probably appreciate we have been really busy dealing with other threads, Facebook activity & emails relating to tomorrow's game. We simply did not see this thread earlier than this.

Our leaders (it's Richard writing this & Jon) are in regular contact with Class VI / Pid Army leadership - there is nothing going on.

The chili cookoff is something that our members were very positive about doing so we decided to go ahead with it. Admittidly the timing is not great but we only have two guaranteed home games left & we are planning to do another pig roast for the play-off game. We plan to have a more organized tailgate schedule next year - we note that Class VI publish one on their website & will take it into account with our planning.

It should be noted that there has been an informal recipocal tailgate agreement this season. Fans are welcome to get food / drink from either tailgate provided that they contribute to at least one of the supporters groups.

Hope this clears this up!

5. milehimarc

milehimarc New Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Northglenn, CO USA
    From the "outside looking in"...
    it puzzles me as to why there is more than one supporters group...???

Marc

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure a put the BSG, but the only reason now for the Pid Army-Class VI split is where people want to sit/stand inside the stadium. Other than that the two groups do just about everything else together.

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know enough about the various groups outside of the BSG here in CO, but in DC the Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava were basically two sides of the same coin. SE was the PG-13 trending towards R group, and the Barra was NC-17 trending towards outlawed. There were other differences and reasons for them, but from the perspective of an average member this was about the extent of it. The tailgates happened separately, but we frequently bounced between them, and road trips and similar events were all organized as one big DC SG.

I don't know that there's as much of a rift as people are making out in this thread tbh, last night I was bouncing between the BSG tailgate and the other ones, and certainly wasn't asking for BSG membership ID before serving people helpings of my chili.

8. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I was asking people if they were PA or CVI at our tailgate - so perhaps this is directed toward me.

The BSG from the beginning expressed that they wanted to do their thing on their own. This was directly expressed to me - so that's not speculation or rumor. Perfectly fine.

But the CVI/PA tailgate has no backing of anything other then individuals that are pooling their hard work, time, and even individual's money to make our tailgate what it is. Everyone there is a volunteer that loves the Rapids and love our groups - no body makes a nickle on any of our efforts and as stated, many dump hundreds of dollars into it without recouping it. We ask everyone there to donate either food or money to the tailgate.

BSG people certainly can come over - but if they plan on drinking the CVI/PA beer or eating our food - we expect a contribution to keep things running. We plan our funding and purchasing around OUR members - not supporting the members of any other group. Seriously, how could we?

We have no fees, not dues, and no financial backing from the Rapids or any other business - so donations are the way we keep things running. We've done this for six years now - and up until this season - we never had any issues with people at our tailgate that weren't contributing in some way.

We're not even asking much - we suggest $5 a person per tailgate. $5 for all you can eat/drink. People are generally HAPPY to donate to our tailgate. So if I caused any poor feelings - it's simply a matter of resources - we rely on people participating.

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I can appreciate there being different supporters groups as people have different ideas about how such groups should organize and support their teams.

It would be nice if they could co-exist for the mutual benefit for all members. I see tailgates as the perfect opportunity to create a pre-game experience for members and non members alike.

Then again I'm just a starry eyed idealist ;)

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't intended to be. I guess it's good to know that about the other tailgates. Sorry if I stepped on any toes snagging a handful of jello shots. :(

Seriously though, I think I recognized less than 1/3 of the people serving themselves helpings of my chili, and it gave me a chance to chat with some new people and put a few more names to a few more faces. I put 18 hours of work and a good chunk of cash into cooking that stuff up--we all contribute in our own way (finally had my first real bowl of it today, incidentally, will improve upon the recipe before next season).

I don't know, I'm not trying to stir any pots here, but at the end of the day I think a bit of overlap isn't killing anyone. I completely understand asking for contributions from random Rapids fan #341 that shows up out of nowhere and is camping out on your keg, but when you see that guy whose name you don't know from [insert other SG here] chatting with some of your SG's members and having a beer or boob-ice-luge shot, I'd offer that it's probably in everyone's best interest to take it in stride and recognize that building bonds between the groups happens at the member level.

11. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I imagined that the name of "their" group meant that they got money from the Pub. That made sense all along. ESPN proved that point.

But does the BSG also get money from the RFO?

12. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Sounds like you stirred enough pots in the last 24 hours. :D

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I've no reason to think so.

DrunkCajun:
    Absolutely there's no problem with everyone mingling. Those shots were from a PA person offering them around - that's different completely.

It IS great to meet others at each other tailgates ... I know quite a few BSGers - and like just about all of them quite a bit. In fact, there's a small group of BSGers that do contribute to our tailgate - they completely understand and are welcome to share in the beer and food!

And again, for the previous five seasons the PA members and CVI members had always called the Bulldog our home. We supported it even at the RFO's persistence that we instead make our viewing party whatever the official Rapids viewing party was (Sobo, GB Fish & Chips, etc etc) letting the previous owner know they didn't need to pay the fee to be an official viewing pub. It wasn't our decision to split efforts.

It is what it is and certainly we had no say in the matter. We spent five years pulling everyone together and getting the Terraces created - and the result is CVI/PA - it was no easy feat.

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I should also add - all that is just this history of why there are two tailgates. There isn't any big riff between the groups. We've worked together on things like the road trip in fact. Our members have regularly caught matches at the Bulldog - it's still a favorite of many of us including myself.

But since there are two tailgates that are completely funded from different sources - that's the reason that Ahole in CVI has to say hello to every new face.

In the past, saying hello to a new face was a chance to welcome them into the supporters. I'm not looking to steal any BSGers - I hope they grow and the Terraces can be expanded from the size it is now - but now I first need to find out if they are affiliated and explain there are two separate tailgates happening.

It's not fun having to A. make sure no one is upset that I'm trying to recruit another's member, and then 2. explain that everyone here is a contributing member of the tailgate that they are eating and drinking at. No fun at all.

In fact, it's been the worst part of my season - but I've got to keep what we've got going viable - it's taken years to get to that monster tailgate we had this weekend. Many can tell you how different it is from when we were way out in Lot AA! It took a tremendous amount of coaxing the stadium people that having a keg in the parking lot before a game would be okay way back before the stadium opened. What we've built has taken years of hard work on a lot of people's part.

What would be great is if every non-PA/CVI member that's affiliated with some other group - already knew that the money they've paid doesn't include the food and beer from the other tailgate.

If someone wants to support our tailgate with contributions - we're absolutely delighted to have them - regardless.

This isn't a matter of any kind of divide between anyone. It's a matter of our tailgate having limited resources for our members and anyone else that is a contributing to the tailgate.

To draw a comparison - it'd be like the BSG allowing non-paying people on the bus from Denver to DSG Park - it just wouldn't work.

15. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Okay.

Disclaimer : I have never been to a tailgate nor have I signed up for a group.

As I understand the Class Six guys and the now Pid Army just rely on donations to operate.

I would really like to know from all the supporters groups exactlly how they get funding.

Is there an initiation fee to any group? Annual fee to any group?

As I recall during the last few years there should be:

Class Six
    C-Firm/NCC = Pid Army
    Legion 5280
    BSG

Am I forgetting any group?

I'm being very sincere. No smile face. I, and maybe I alone, would love to know what the Groups are doing as of tonight in terms of getting seats sold and happy fans to the parking lots.

Especially now that the Rapids are in the playoffs and will be hosting SuperLiga matches.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Class VI is paid for from donations and fundraising (Selling pins, stickers, scarves, raffles at the pre-season party, etc.).

17. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    At the risk of asking too much - Can you please explain the "pre-season" party.

Is that just the the group and others that may be interested?

Where do these parties take place?

Are the pins, stickers, scarves from people that collected them over the years or World Cup quality?

Thanks in advance for the information as I have always been interested in just how all the Groups get "by" in the MLS environment.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last couple of years Class VI and C-Firm (now Pid Army) have organized a party on the opening weekend. Two years ago it was at the Cantina at the Dick, this year it was at Katie Mullins downtown the night of the first game (which was @Chivas). As part of the party a number of members have donated items they've gathered over the years (I had 3 team-autographed balls from rapids teams over the years that I donated this year since I didn't have a good way to display them in my new house) and members have worked with the Rapids and individual players to get donations as well. Some of the donations are given out as door prizes to entice people to come to the party, others are raffled off with tickets being something like $1 each or 5 for $3 (I don't remember the exact numbers), and some are auctioned off in a silent auction. We eat, drink, talk, have a good time, and get ready for the season. Everyone is welcome since Class VI doesn't really have a membership standard other than being a Rapids fan. ;)

I don't know the details on the cost of the pins, stickers, scarves and if the club makes any money on them but somebody in the group (GoRapids would know who) has arranged for lapel pins, bumper stickers, and scarves to be made with the Class VI logo on them over the few years Class VI has been in existence. Then they sell them at watch parties and such. We're not allow to sell them at the tailgate because we can't have money exchanged at the same location we're giving out alcohol without a liquor license or something like that.

Most everything is done by donation though. Just as an example, and not to toot my own horn, but my donation to the club over the last two years is to run the soda cooler for all the tailgates (since I don't drink at tailgates). So I buy all the soda and make sure that the soda is at the tailgate, bringing extra to the game before games I know i'm going to miss. Other people run the grills and buy the hot dogs, other people handle the transportation of the kegs, etc.

19. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Thanks.

So the long and short of it - To become a Class Six Supporter is to simply buy Season Tickets in your section and volunteer at the functions.

Nothing more and nothing less.

It will be interesting to see how the other Groups function.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't even require season tickets or sitting in the section. To be a CVI member you just have to show up to CVI events. We do ask that if you're going to partake in the club's activities that you give back to the club in some way (volunteer, donate, bring food, etc.).

21. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Good to know.

22. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods, perhaps there needs to be a sticky locked thread that outlines each supporters group and how to join, requirements of membership, cost of tickets, etc. Help the SG's market themselves.

23. Hoolie Dave

Hoolie Dave New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, a few answers. First off, Legion 5280 disbanded at the end of last year.

In order to join the Pid Army, there currently is no membership fee. We only get money from people purchasing scarves and such, and thereby we really don't have a ton of money:) We are not affiliated with any pub or any organization which might get in the way of our only agenda: supporting the Rapids and creating a loud, energetic and creative atmosphere at Dick's.

Almost everything you see at our tailgates or in the stands are paid for, made or procured by our members. This includes our tent, our tables, our flags, our drums, our confetti, our streamers, our food, our jello shots, our foosball table, our pinatas, our giant Colorado flag, our giant Rocky Mountain Cup banner, all our other home made banners, all of our customized Colorado flags that we put up everywhere, etc. All of it is done by the hard work of our members. We are the creative and vocal kings of the Terraces and always have been. We just have a new name. Our membership includes nearly 100% of the remaining old-school standing supporters group members who have banded together now that we have what we always wanted, a proper home for us to be loud and proud for the Rapids without being hassled by kids parents or boring people for being hard core. We are excited that the C-Firm and NCC grew back together and or the first time maybe ever, we've brought all the old rowdies together. And now we've also added a large number of new folks who enjoy our gritty, independent style of rowdiness. Good times.

As far as the tailgate goes, we work with Class VI, but to fair, they are the tailgate kings. Our people chip in and we try to add some different flavor with our games, music and such. We like the Class VI people, they just prefer to sit and yell, and we prefer to stand, scream, bang on things, wave things, throw things, make giant banners, etc etc etc.

Our strength is our creativity, but certainly we do need money here and there. I must say it is frustrating that quite a few of the items that either our members own or have made disappear. New people to the supporters section have not learned to keep their hands off things that are not theirs. In years past we were able to bring our own things in through the gates. This year, we have to check things in ahead of time which means often times someone else grabs your items. We the Pid Army are not fond of this arrangement as we do not like others taking our ideas and hard work and displaying it as if it were theirs (even if it is by accident).

As for getting seats sold, we are very strong with the social media side of things and spread the word that in the Terraces and Pid Army, people can find something they cannot find at any other sporting event in Denver. I believe we have 50-60 season tickets. We are working with the Rapids for creative new ways to market their tickets to like-minded hard core fans of the sport and the Rapids. We are not the hollywood stars with commercials that the other Terrace group might be because they are tied to a pub the Rapids have workings with. But ya know, we like it that way as we believe we have the freedom go wherever we want, and do whatever our twisted little minds come up with to support the Rapids and attract new people to help us raise a ruckus (as long as we don't break any rules or laws:).

So there is some background on the Pid Army. Feel free to ask more questions.

24. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BSG has two levels of membership. A free one, and a paid one. The paid one is a pretty token donation and gets you discounts on things like the bus rides. Don't really know much beyond that because tbh I don't pay enough attention. And I figure Richard/Jon will bounce by here eventually with all the official details anyway.

25. Colorado Supporters

Aug 10, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard here, just to clarify some facts about us:

1. Like the other supporters groups we are not funded by the Rapids Front Office.

2. The BSG is also not funded by the Bulldog. We are a non-profit organization with separate accounts & identity from the British Bulldog & it's owner, the Little Pub Company.

3. Like DrunkCajun said, we have two levels of membership. The paid one is an offer to our most loyal members who ride the buses for every game. However we are more than happy to have people who wish to 'pay as they go' & not pay an upfront fee. In practice we find that many people start off as a Blue (free) member and upgrade when they see what a great deal we offer for home games. Membership details are here:
    http://www.bulldogsupporters.com/join/index.php

4. Our bus prices include an amount for the tailgate so we don't collect donations from anyone who rides with us. However for people using their own transport to DSG Park we appreciate a donation of $5 to cover the costs of the extra people - just like Class VI / Pid Army.
    Details on the buses: http://www.bulldogsupporters.com/buses/index.php

5. If you have any questions, feel free to see our website - http://www.bulldogsupporters.com - or post a question here!