Bulgaria

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by BG86, Jun 10, 2008.

1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Upcoming friendlies for the national team ?

2. vivo

vivo New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Sofia
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Yes, on the 5th of March it is scheduled to have a friendly game. So far the options we have are Belarus and Australia. I think in the next days they will announce it officially.

jonny63 repped this.
  3. Nikolai Angelov

Nikolai Angelov New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Hi!I have large collection of games of Bulgarian national team and CSKA Sofiq in DVD!!!!

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone gonna be in Sofia in Aug? I'm looking to go to a Levski match.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been impressed with Ludogorets lately and finally get to see them in person tonight. Let's go!

6. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Bulgaria NT golie Vikolay Mihaylov signed to the Mersin Idman Yurdu.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this.

I was there in early August; the night of the Levski-CSKA derby we had dinner plans with old friends we hadn't seen in 14 years. Our flight was the next day so we couldn't reschedule. I was really bummed out.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, I just saw this. This has to be one of the most inactive threads on BS, unfortunately.

Traveling complicates everything. I'm going to Sofia for the holidays and did what I could to see Bjorn Johnsen play at Levski on the 11th I think it is, but life dictates I won't arrive until a few days later. Shame.

Too bad you couldn't make Levski/CSKA game. I imagine it would have been incredible. I was there for the Ludogorets/Bucuresti UCL match and the entire city shut down. Was just one crazy party after Ludogorets one late in that one.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was disappointed but they were good friends and I hadn't seen one of them in 14 years so no regrets.

I've only been to one Levski game, way back in 2002. Hopefully I'll manage another next visit, which might be next summer.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good. Are they Bulgarians or American expats?

And don't tell me you went to Happy Bar & Grill but instead ate something more authentic.:)

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bulgarians; wife is older sister of one of my wife's closest childhood friends, husband is super-nice guy--back in 2000, when they were just engaged (second marriage for both) and he'd never met either of us (they lived then, and still do, out of the country--ex-pats, as you said, although planning to move back in a few years when he retires) he allowed us to live in their unoccupied apartment on Makedonia (ulitsa? boulevard? Can't remember), sight un-seen. That was really helpful because we had our young son and things were crowded at my wife's grandmother's apt.

THAT night we ate at a really nice, authentic place--but, tbh, we do meet friends at Happy now and then. And not just this visit--back in 2000, it was almost the default "place to meet friends for a drink downtown". This last visit, we even visited another location (nearer Lozenets than downtown) and had some--if I may say so--pretty good sushi.

I know Happy is corny and not even a little bit "Bulgarian" but it's been around so long, and the downtown location is so central and visible, it's kind of become part of "our" Sofia anyway.

12. The Verv

The Verv Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Man this thread is dead. Does the national team still exist?

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barely, it seems. I was there for two weeks in July--during the Euros--and from conversations I had it seems that decades of poor performance by the national team, and corruption in the league, have eroded interest in the sport. Attendances at league games are anemic as well.

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone still posting here? I'm in Bulgaria travelling and would like to attend CSKA v Slavia Sofia match this Friday, May 6. Any idea how to get tickets? At the stadium or before? And can foreigners attend games here?

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go to the stadium about an hr beforehand. That's what I've done for Levski matches. No issue with foreigners.