Building a winning team in Hattrick

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by BattalionFC, Apr 14, 2006.

1. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Well, thats my first season down and I finished with a total of 6 goals for, 5 of those were scored by the team I took over in the first two weeks.

Im training pm and have 1 17 year excellent, 2 18 year solid (both 1000 tsi) and 4 passable with 300-500 tsi 2 17 and 2 18 ... these passable guys mostly play the wing in both league and friendly as Im trying to get my top three mid fielders as high in tsi as possible. Im praying that the solid 1600 TSI forward that I just bought will actually be able to put some goals up for me next season, his transfer has put me in debt by 50000 K.

The question is, with fans and supporters calling for my head by the game, how do I go about generating any kind of cash flow via transfers without sacraficing my teams best players?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you playing your players in 2 games a week? That doesn't get them double training. You should play your 3 best PM's in your league matches, and of the 4 others have them play in your friendly with one on the wing. Rotate those players every 4 weeks so a different one is on the wing every 4 weeks.

Really the only way to make money via transfers is to have a good training system set up that allows you to make money. You do end up selling off your best players to improve your team, but by the time you sell them, your 4th PM should be ready to step in and play regularly.

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Don't rush anything, thats the first answer. I just finished my first full season--I think I started at the end of November with a couple games left in the last season. If you have those players right now, you'll start to get some goals in the coming season. You'll probably hang onto most of your trainees for at least a season or two, so don't start counting on much income from them yet. The fans are fickle, but they will forgive you a bit once you win a couple games--and that really will happen once there are some newer teams in your Div. I had decent luck (after blowing way too much on a striker that I ended having to sell) getting a few 30something utility players for a few thousand a pop to make up a little backbone while I figured out my tactics. Keep training those mids, and make sure that they have enough stamina going into the season.

4. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006

Thanks for the reply, I will rotate my guys in such fashion, thats certianly good to know.

How about this ... can some of you give me a run down of your Hattrick expeirence during your first few seasons of play? How about some specific examples of how you guys managed to build your own individual teams, I could learn from a few stories I think...

5. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thats good insight, do older/vet players with the same tsi as younger players play better due to experience or games played?

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    With the older players TSI is not as important as their skill set. Be advised though that the older players will often decrease in skill and you do not want to take slots from your more important players that you are training.

7. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    My first season I was put into a tough V series in week 9. I had no idea what I was doing and changed my training every couple minutes and looked to see if there was any changes. I had no idea when matches were, when health updates were, and when training was. Obviously, I read nothing. I took a wild guess that controlling the midfield was important after I kept seeing in real life how my Metros kept getting destroyed and losing the midfield. So I finally started training playmaking but with horrible trainees.

I won one match my first season and was demoted into a VI series. I won every game that season and upgraded a few parts of my team. For season 22, I promoted into V.63 and I've been there ever since. The first season, I finished in 6th place. The next season, I finished 5th, then 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd, then 3rd, and now I'm first! I have a tiny chance to promote into a tough IV series which I hope I can take.

It took me a while to have a profitable squad but I'm there right now. I have good trainees and the strongest midfield in my series, which is the third hardest in V. That's the story of my team! Good luck with yours. What's your team ID by the way?

8. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for the recount. Thats pretty optimistic, although Im Division V in Canada (the lowest) and have some pretty tough teams at the top... they got guys scoring goals for them in the 5 digit tsi range (one guy at 120,000 tsi!), I think it will be awhile before Im there, I couldnt imagine selling trainees for the the amount of money it would take to land one of those guys. Team ID is 72275.

9. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    Hey I'm not sure if you want to but a good way to optimize your wingesr is to play them offensive. Or another thing that you could do that will boost your midfield is play one of them towards the middle. This will sacrifice attack though. Also, you may want to play your wingback defensively instead of normal.

One more thing, the last place that you play your players is where they will get training for. So if you play a trainee in a league match as a midfielder but then as a defender in a friendly, they won't receive training.

10. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You've done well getting trainees. That's where you get you longterm cash flow from. As they improve in skill, they'll appreciate (usually) in value. Eventually, you'll sell one and use the money to upgrade your squad. Never ever muck with your training program. Always keep enough trainees to keep your training regimen stocked.

Generating cash flow?

Tough to do. Have a Stripper Night at a home match? Raise concession prices? Slip your supporters GHB, kick them out and tell them they haven't paid their ticket fee yet?

WHEN you have the money to throw away, invest in your youth squad. IF and WHEN you pull a good player, hopefully his new owner will train him well after paying you handsomely. But this is long term, and the cash flow is VERY sporadic.

If you have young trainable players in support positions on your squad (non IMs), I'd suggest selling them after finding an older (experienced) player. Yes, older players do lose skill but I've got a 37 yo solid defender on my squad that has nice experience. He'd fit your squad nicely until he finally did drop. Even then, at passable, you might find someone like him useful. I'd suggest you stick to guys no older than 32 though, preferably 25-30. A 30 year old, I'd expect to only last for 1 season, but like me, you may get lucky

Expanding your stadium will drain your money, but will generate cash flow in the future. Expand wisely, but do so in big enough chunks to make expansion worthwhile.

So, that's a number of suggestions that really won't help you in a short amount of time.

The shortest way to make money (besides daytrading) is to have one guy in your training squad sold every time he pops. When one of your passables pops, move him and buy a replacement. When one of those passables finally pops to excellent, sell him & buy a replacement. When another of your current crop reaches formidable, sell him & buy a replacement. That's the best way to generate a short term cash flow.

And STOP spending money that you don't have to!

11. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First and foremost, Welcome to HT and our happy little home on BS.

In my opinion, if you want to start generating a good cash flow with your team, it all starts with training for a new team. The biggest influence on training for a team is the Coach's training skill. The higher the coaching skill level the faster your trainees will gain skill and pop.

You currently employee an Inadequate skilled Coach for training purposes. For a new team to be able to start to grow at a good rate, you will need at least a Passable skilled coach, and if affordable a Solid Trainer.

My suggestion would be for you to sell the 17yo Excellent as soon as he pops to Formidable. Use the funds gained from that sell to get a new Coach and a young passable replacement trainee. To externally recruit a Solid Coach with Poor/Leadership, it will cost you around 280K. With the funds you will more than likely secure from the Formidable's sale at the age of 18, you should have plenty to make this purchase.

If you want to go a step lower in Coach skill (Passable), but still keep up a good training rate, expect to spend about 80K.

Good Luck with your team and don't hesitate to post any questions you have. We have plenty of start up experience floating around this forum.

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't usually say things like this, but this thread should be pinned.

13. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Im going to start doing this, playing the wingers at the offence setting like your saying. I did know that playing a midfielder at defence would mess up his training but I didnt know which game the cut off was ... one of my better players also has good defence skills that I could use in league matches as Im shallow at that position ... If I understand right I could I play him on D for league games and then switch him back to Mid-Field for friendlys and still get his PM training in OK. Is that right? This would be ideal...

You guys are pretty much consistant here, sell the first guy when he pops next and use the money to better the team in various ways while restocking the trainees. I will do this and let you know how it turns out in the future. The coach thing looks like a good idea too and I did want to upgrade but they're so expensive, as are more seats in the stadium. Just so you know, Im throwing 40K a week into training, have been doing so right from the beginning, and even though I havent pulled anything worth while, I have been at solid youth system for a couple of weeks now. Anyone pull anything half decent before hitting excellent?

14. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    Ye you can do this but as your team grows, you're going to want to get seperate defenders and midfielders. It's just an injury risk because you're playing a guy twice during the week so he has double the chance to get injured as someone else

You're putting $20k in per week for the youth squad, not $40k. What's your youth squad level at right now? I pulled some decent stuff when it hit inadequate.

15. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Actually Ive been putting in 40K right from the start, at least thats what my club page tells me. Right now Im at Solid Youth System and have pulled crap, this has been my best youth pull all year, how awfull is this, I only keep him incase of injury, dont have tons of players:

Elie Leroux (100201124)
    17 years, passable form, healthy
    A controversial person who is temperamental and dishonest.
    Has disastrous experience and weak leadership abilities.

Speciality: Quick

Nationality: Canada
    Total Skill Index (TSI): 220
    Wage: 1 080 C$/week
    Owner: Battalion FC
    Warnings: 0
    Injuries: Healthy

Stamina: inadequate Goalkeeping: disastrous
    Playmaking: weak Passing: poor
    Winger: poor Defending: inadequate
    Scoring: weak Set Pieces: wretched

16. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    Ooo, I forgot that your team's in Canada with the different currency and all...

You could've sold that guy for $1000 if you pulled him early enough...

17. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    re

More questions

- I see owners referring to training stats every week like +3/-5, where can I check this out and what does it mean?

- how do I search for players with good leadership and such, the engine doesnt have fields for these intangibles on the transfer list.

Just got $30,000 on a sale of a former player (the guy before me sold him) and I had nothing to do with it ... is a big part of the revenue in Hattrick a result of indirect income like this? It was a nice surprise.

18. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Re: re

Use an assistant tool (check the link thread for examples, I'm personally using Hattrick Organizer).

Leadership is not searchable as of now.

Not a big part, but a nice one because often unexpected.

19. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006

Just logged in to HO and I cant believe you guys are just telling me about this now :) , what a toy this is ... thanks fcsg.

20. fcsg

fcsg New Member

Apr 22, 2005

What I like most about it is the lineup tool with the rating predictions. Using the skill tester on the players page, you can change the skills of your players and see the effect on the ratings, etc. It's great.

21. BattalionFC

BattalionFC New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Can someone explain this kind of development to me:

Date From To Price TSI then
    4/19/2006 Barrington Baron Det bästa laget 9 068 000 C$ 83 130
    7/22/2005 Becks Barrington Baron 11 454 000 C$ 67 590
    7/13/2004 FC Ramat Gan Becks 9 680 000 C$ 9 630
    9/6/2003 Hankes IF FC Ramat Gan 268 000 C$ 720

60000 tsi in one year? My best player jumped about 1000 in the season, so well say 3 months give or take some days. Is there a spike in player delelopment at some point, or does a really good coach actually make this big a difference.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    training with an solid coach can do a lot for TSI, a player could have a big jump like that in that amount of time.

23. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At that skill level, TSI starts going up more rapidly.

My titanic winger was purchased in June of last year with a TSI of 1,490, his TSI is now 63,490. That's a jump of more than 60,000 in only ten months.

24. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Alright - I'm back at Level 6. My short-term plan is to switch to Scoring as I've sold my PM trainees and gotten some decent coin for them. I'm in an all-BOT league and I expect winning promotion shouldn't be a big deal.

HOWEVER - I'm wondering if I should sell of a couple of my better players in that: 1) they aren't getting any younger, and 2) they are a little overqualified for this division anyway.

I'm thinking of selling Ulfsson and either Magen or Reoch. After getting these forwards up a pop or two, I'll go back to PM in season 30 and hopefully start building a team that can get up from V to IV.

I'm unloading 4 excess players now anyway, but I think I've got a bit of a glut in the roster. Any recommendations are appreciated (71642).

25. bmalek

bmalek New Member

May 6, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    If your wages are not killing you, I would say keep them. It doesn't make too much sense to get rid of them now, just to buy a bunch of new trainees next season when you switch back to PM. Toward the end of the season get rid of the PM's and get ready to replace them week 0, or buy some 17 (about to age to 18) y/o's.