Building a team for 2014

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MichaelJohn, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unfortunately not the best league in the world though when it comes to converting them into National Team talent.

I agree, we shouldn't simply give up on them but I think Kaka is just expressing the sentiment that as a fan he sees no signs there worth pinning hopes on. If that changes, great but I wouldn't count on them as a fan. As a coach - keep your options open.

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

4. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

5. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

7. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Pretty much, I had high hopes for them but there growth has been stunted. So, I lost faith. Also, I believe there are much better options anyway.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    yall forgot Gilberto Silva when he was at Arsenal :cool:

and it seems that Ramires is a Chelsea player...should be interesting to see where he plays.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Re: Building a team for 2014e.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

So are you telling me that Forlan is no good because he failed at Man Utd? Forlan is just an example for someone like Anderson and Lucas, who are still young like Forlan was, to change scenery and find the right environment to achieve success.

Geovanni is a joke, right? He did nothing at City and had a few decent games at Hull before disappearing off the map again.

I hate it when people think the EPL is the gold standard. If you "fail" there, you aren't any good.

No, it wasn't. Those players I listed were failures for their NTs at the WC.

[/quote]
    No one is questioning his performance in the league. We are questioning his performance at the WC, along with the rest of England's EPL superstars.

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Forlan missed open goals FFS. Even with that, he was still a not bad. But he had to compete with Ruud Van. Nistlerooy. Forlan is easily among the best forwards arond.

Whenever he played, he had an impact on his team. Not just a few decent games.

There are always a few biased assholes who will believes this. But you have to admit, the EPL was the the top dog in Europe for a half a decade.

As was Kaka, who never played in England, and Messi [zero goals]i and Higuain [a hattrick against rubbish], Di Maria, etc.. I can name a bunch of players who failed to live up to expectations at the WC who dont play in England.

[/quote]
    Rooney was injured, and had been since the WC quarterfinal. England did not succeed for many reasons, that are not neccessarily linked with being an EPL superstar. IE their team.

So are you trying to say all these dudes are rubbish and overrated becasue they play[ed] in England?

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

The EPL's big 4 have been the big dog for the past decade(other than Barca), yes, I admit to that. As far as the league as a whole, I disagree. When players like Lucas and Anderson play against other teams outside of the big 4, they aren't facing quality that is any better than Italy's and Spain's mid table teams. England usually sends their big 4 to the Champions' League and their other sides go to the UEFA Cup. They haven't won a UEFA cup since 2001, when Liverpool won. From top to bottom, I think La Liga has more quality.

Kaká played below his standards, yes, but he still performed better than Rooney, Gerrard, Cristiano Ronaldo, etc. He was tied as the top assist leader, with players such as Ozil and Schweinsteiger, who received much praise throughout the Cup(and rightfully so).
    Messi didn't score a goal, but he was a creative force for Argentina. He had a much bigger impact than any of those names I mentioned.
    I don't rate Higuain and Di Maria played in the Portuguese league. I don't see how he is a star. He's just a promising talent.

Rooney was injured, as well was Kaka. That makes no excuse for stepping on the ball and falling down on several occasions. He went completely missing in games.

What other reasons explain England's failure? Their team? They have top players from the "best" league in the world. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ashley Cole and Barry. They had a World Class manager in Fabio Capello. England is always full of excuses when they fail at the Cup.

Rubbish, no. Overrated, yes, to a degree. The English media and extremely biased fans are to blame for that.

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I feel like considering the physical advantage the NT usually has over most teams, doing well in a physical league could only help.

In the end, I still think its ridiculous to "give up" on young players like Anderson and Lucas. I also think Anderson can be a star in England. He could be a very useful player for the next WC. I realise how dire he has been, but he can improve. He is still very young for a midfielder at a huge club.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I agree that it is ridiculous to give up on a player like Anderson and Lucas. I still would like to see Anderson deployed as a left winger for a few games + training.
    As far as Lucas goes, it appears he isn't going to adapt/perform well at Liverpool. I think he needs to move on.

15. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007

The EPL is not at fault IMO for Anderson and Lucas regressing as players. It has more to do with the teams both choose. Anderson went from promising attacking player with massive potential to a headless chicken defensive player which is Man U fault. I don't know where they got the ridiculous idea that Anderson is a defensive midfielder. Lucas, on the other hand, I blame his decline solely on himself. You don't join a team with 3 very good central midfielders at that time and expect to get playing time.

16. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

at least he got a nice car!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0NFBsgDbAI"]YouTube- Anderson Manchester United Audi R8 - Jacket Ecko - No Money!![/ame]

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Man Utd's 442 isnt like a Brazilian 442. There are no defensive midfielders, just box to box midfielders. When ever we played a 433, or some variant of a 451, Anderson played as the most attacking of the midfield trio.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I'd like to see this:[LINEUP-4-4-2]Rooney, Berbatov, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani, Evra, Vidic, Rio, Rafael, Van der Sar [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Of course, Giggs would probably be the first option over Anderson, but if he'd atleast get played(and trained) there, I think he'd have a better chance working.

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

You know whats funny? He played there once at the beginning of the season, and the entire team had a horrible game. Did not play there again until around february in a game he started out really good. Thats the same game he had that bad knee injury. I think SAF will definitely play him there more often.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

the problem is...Anderson isn't a holding mid nor is he a box to box mid...he's a solely attacking mid. a Left Attacking mid...Anderson was an LAM at Gremio...and at Porto. never played the centre much.

same for Lucas. He was player of the year in Brazil because he was a great Meia not a great Volante or Seguna Volante. they need to play where they are comfortable...which is on the sides running at defense...not in the mid holding up the ball or trying to win the ball.

21. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007

I remember Man U fans praising Anderson for keeping Gerrard and Fabregas in his back pocket like some defensive midfielder. Like Catracho_Azul points out Anderson is not box-box either, which makes it even more ridiculous to convert him as such.

22. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: World Cup 2014 General Progress

what? Melo???????

NO WAY!:mad:

23. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know a great deal about Ramires, but he would almost no doubt become a right center mid, someone to fill in to the 3 man midfield that Chelsea plays with. He, like Essien and Lampard, would be a box to box midfielder.

24. Ryoichi

Ryoichi Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Here.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX3j9Ci4KU"]YouTube- Neymar's Time is Now[/ame]

Someone seems ready for 2014.

25. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Yeah, maybe in Nike commercials. He was garbage against SP this weekend.

Nike/Brazilian press started the bandwagon in the country, and they're trying to move it outside of it as well. Feel free to hop on it anyone.