Buffalo?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Akuma095, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Akuma095

Akuma095 New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    HEY DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT BUFFALO, NY IS A GOOD CITY FOR THE MLS?

2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    No.

And it's my hometown.

3. WLU_Mike

WLU_Mike New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    Ontario
    No, perhaps an A-League team though. My hometown is Fort Erie (Ontario), right across the border from Buffalo. I'd love to see the A-League in Buffalo, but it's not a big enough market for the MLS. I'd hate to see them get an MLS team and then lose it, like Tampa Bay and Miami did.

4. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    If it isn't about fried chicken parts or the Bills, Buffalo isn't interested.

5. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Buffalo and Rochester are very close to each other. Rochester should get a (the) MLS team. Buffalo already has the Bills (nfl), Sabres (nhl)...at least for now, and the AAA Bisons; they are a mid/small market compared to the NYCs & LAs. Maybe eventually put an (affiliated) A-League team in Buffalo. The Rochester Amerks (AHL), for example, are the Sabre's farm team.

6. flmls

flmls New Member

living in buffalo now, i'd love them to have a team, but it's buffalo and they always f--- things up in this town. I love it here, but they have this way of just messing everything up. Plus they'd never win a championship here anyway. I hope they get an a-leage team, then we'd have one hell of a derby with T.o. and rochester.

7. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester.

8. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

:rolleyes:

You sure got us pegged, fella.

Douchebag.

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

:(

It's true.

10. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I believe Rochester's franchise rights extend over Buffalo. I don't think it's likely Rochester will allow an A-league team in Buffalo as long as they are in the league. If Rochester goes to MLS though, it certainly would make sense, although I'm not sure where a team in Buffalo would play.

11. Colin Eager

Colin Eager New Member

May 14, 2000
    Does anybody remember an outdoor team Buffalo had back in '84 or so? I remember being part of a "save our Stallions" rally at halftime of an outdoor game at All High Satdium -- am I hallucinating?

12. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    So which part isn't true?

Take your time. Ask your teacher.

13. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    No, Buffalo isn't but...

But I never thought San Diego was much of a candidate either. And where did San Antonia come from?

14. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Why would you even try to defend such a stupid post?

Just in sports alone, Buffalo has long supported a National Hockey league franchise. I remember growing up on the French Connection and I still wear number 11 on my soccer jersey because of Gilbert Perault. (Were gonna win that cup. Were gonna win that Stanley cup, me and my Buffalo Sabre yeah yeah yeah...)

During those times people probably cared more about the Sabres than the Bills because the Bills were so bad.

The tripple A Buffalo Bisons led minor league baseball in attendence for years when Pilot field was first built.

The Buffalo bandit's indoor Lacross team also led the league in attendence.

Even the old Buffalo Blizzard indoor soccer team had good attendence figures, but the owners decided to shut down for other reasons.

On the subject of food, Buffalo is much more than Chicken Wings. Our annual Taste of Buffalo is one of the largest outdoor food festivals in the country, and it has nothing to do with chicken wings.

Then of course there is the Albright Knox Art Museum, The Buffalo Philharmonic (and the Goo Goo Dolls) the architectural treasures, etc

I could go on, but I think you see the point.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Syracuse has a team in the A-League so I don't see why Buffalo couldn't.

16. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I am not sure but it is possible that Syracuse is just far enough away that Rochester's rights did not extend over Syracuse.

I may be wrong though, because Syracuse had the full cooperation of the Rhino's so they may have just waved the rights.

Right now, I don't see Rochester being real quick to do that for Buffalo. The danger being that Buffalo is a larger city, and if the A-league team really took off it could be a potential rival for an MLS franchise.

In the future things could change. If Rochester moves to MLS than A-League in Buffalo makes perfect sense. If Rochester resigns itself that it is never going to be MLS and that a Buffalo Rochester rivalry would help them more than the fact that fewer Buffalo fans would come to Rochester to see other teams play the Rhinos would hurt then they might not only approve it, but encourage it.