Budget Bill Passage Delayed over Arctic Oil Drilling

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BudWiser, Dec 20, 2005.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

I agree. A Wash Post editorial http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/15/AR2005121501680.html from a few days ago summed it pretty well:

If there were some way to force the oil co's to spend the income on alternative energy, it would be worth it. But then, as soon as that reg would be passed, it would only mean that all other money would not be going to alternative energy. Which, I guess, just gets me back to not wanting to drill.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Barring some miraculous scientific discovery, drilling in ANWR is inevitable. Anyone who thinks this can be prevented is totally delusional. I just want to make sure we don't waste it. Saving it for later makes a great deal of sense.

It's not trivial, but it's also not much of a solution to our energy problems. It's like inheriting $20,000. It will make your life better, but not enough to affect your long term plans.

3. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    This is an interesting discussion of ANWAR, but not nearly as interesting as the fact that Ted Stevens is pushing the amendment while wearing an Incredible Hulk tie on the floor of the Senate.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/theplank

4. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the estimates for the amount of oil are wide ranging. but the median number seems to be 6.5 bn barrels. hardly anything to shake a stick at...

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defeated...

Looks like it will be reworked to get the funding through without the ANWR drilling provisions.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Ted, you unscrupulous bastard.

ANWR is an issue that should stand or fall on it's own, not within a bill that has nothing to do with energy concerns and is important to aid Katrina victims and military families.

If it can't get through on it's own merits, then it isn't worth passing.