Buddle traveling to Germany to sign with FC Ingolstadt [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by HouseHead78, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm hoping beyond hope around here but hopefully there will not be much more analysis of Jozy from two clubs ago.

Anyway, based on limited highlights I've seen it appears Buddle has hit the ground running and connecting well with teammates.

2. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Ingolstadt is relegation-threatened, but they have started the second half with 1 win and two draws in 3 games. They have scored 3 goals in those games and Buddle has scored 1 and assisted 1 of those 3 goals.

So, he has indeed hit the ground running, his coach and team has to be happy so far, and US fans have to be pleased for him. Let's hope he keeps it going.

He probably won't keep his 2.0 average Kicker rating for the whole second half, but who cares. If he helps score or set up a third to a half of his team's goals in the second half and Ingolstadt avoids relegation, he'll be a hero. So far so good.

3. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-l5FyA3pgo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-l5FyA3pgo[/ame]

4. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like you train of thought. I was thinking this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYpAa5MOzMU"]YouTube - Player - baby come back[/ame]

5. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's "you're in a barbershop, about to get whacked" music. Now he's definitely not coming back.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Do you have a link in English? I can't understand the Germans because they have a different word for everything. Except frankfurters and Volkswagon - they use English words for that.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You stole that from Steve Martin! ;)

btw, there's also Hamburgers...

1 person likes this.
  8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Off the highlights in the game thread, the "2" wasn't a result of the Kicker writers homerism.

Edson had 4-5 excellent chances to score - forced a 3-4 of excellent GK saves, then missed narrowly twice and also made the aforementioned two shot assists, one of which Buchnner scored on and the other, an easier opportunity, which he thumped over the bar at a point blank range.

9. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then they have that bass ackwards player rating system where 1 is good, and 6 is bad (or is it 5). Everytime I read those German ratings I have to do a logic inversion to make heads or tails of it

10. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Hype put aside... why are you seemingly so jaded about Edson doing well in the BL2? Is it not reasonable to assume that with the ever improving competitiveness of the MLS that one of it's top players could exceed in the German 2nd division? We're not talking about some up and coming prospect who hasn't wet his feet yet at the pro-level here. It's Edson "freaking" Buddle mannn!!! ... :)

I'm tempering my reaction to his success so far because it's let me down before when I've followed a player I've attached my bandwagon to. He's done about what I was hoping and slightly expected he would do since he's been there (which is make an impact right away). And it looks like he could potentially over-achieve and garner some attention this summer from possibly a bigger club... he hinted that desire as much in his latest podcast interview. Of course for the remainder of the campaign he's focusing on helping Ingolstadt avoid relegation.

I think it's reasonable for fans of his to get excited after his first 3 appearances. Is it not realistic to do so? I've not really seen many comments in this thread that have been completely over the top... so I'm confused a bit by your reaction thus far.

11. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not LB, but having much of the same experience with German Football as he does, I wanted to respond.

No, I don't think it is very "realistic".

I know why they get excited, but that doesn't make it "realistic."

We've seen too many guys, no matter what nationality, start out like gangbusters only to return to earth and fade into oblivion.

I am in no way saying this will happen to Edson Buddle.

I think LB and I both want to see him set the league on fire here and get picked up by one of the big clubs.

However, again, we've seen too many guys look like "The Second Coming" in their first few matches only to flame out.

In other words, we've seen this all before.

It might look like pure skepticism to you, but with us it is just caution brought on by experience.

1 person likes this.
  12. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible that Buddle will perform like Conor Casey. Casey did quite well in B2 (14 goals in 30 games with Karlsruher in 2003-4), but was unsuccessful in B1 with Mainz (2 goals in 38 games over 2 yrs after leaving Karlsruher). Casey has obviously done well in MLS, as has Buddle. Now, some guys can take the next step up satisfactorily, and I personally think Buddle can if he gets the opportunity soon enough, but we'll have to wait and see.

13. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Sure, it makes sense to temper optimism from time to time because you can never take anything for granted, but if you had to wait X number of games before you were allowed to be excited, what would be the point? I think we're all here because we're excited to see Americans have any success abroad, and it seems Buddle has gotten off to a good start. Being excited doesn't mean you think he's going to light the BL2 on fire and transfer to Bayern Munich (at least not to me).

Does anyone know how long Buddle's contract runs Ingolstadt? I couldn't find it in any news reports.

14. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nitpicking, but if you aren't writing out the full "Karlsruher SC," then it's should just be "Karlsruhe."

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I lived in Germany, speak German and understand that the addition of the 'r' denotes something either "of" the city of Karlsruhe or named after the city of Karlsruhe, it's a pretty big ask that the average American soccer fan would know that one is the name of the city and the other part of the name of the team.

Most Americans can't find Germany on a map and even most Bigscocer posters would be challenged to find Karlsruhe on a map.

I'm just nitpicking that that was a pretty small nit to pick :D

(I think this is all withdrawal because the USA-Egypt game was canceled) ;)

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, but I think Rainer is just telling him it is "Karlsruhe"...without the "r".

:)

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, I think it's time to put the "overreaction! vs we're just happy for him!" argument to bed and wait to see what actually happens when Buddle plays again.

The whole discussion has gotten highly speculative and, to the extent that it is beginning to treat posting and posters on BS as a topic, it threatens to take on a life of its own, and that hardly ever ends well (and we've already, apparently, lost a great contributor to the forum).

18. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

I'm not sure if that even makes sense... Edson has not exactly lit the BL2 on fire in his first 3 games, but he has played well and that is why people are getting excited... which is a very realistic approach.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Through 2012-13 season (July, 2013).

BTW, my hopes and somewhat expectations if that he gets cleaner with his footwork and learns to pick a corner more.

That said, I think his runs off the ball are getting better already.

20. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I just stumbled across a quote which is pretty funny in lots of contexts here. There's a very interesting interview in the recent issue of the German 11 Freunde magazine with German punk legend Dirk Jora, singer of the band "Slime" and an important person in the St. Pauli hardcore fan scene, who cultivate a friendship with Celtic.

DJ: "... for one time I want to kick this Gurkentruppe (lit. cucumber troup, fig. for washout) of Celtic, my second club, out of the European cup, and win both games."

Q: "Gurkentruppe? You're also a Celtic fan..."

DJ: "Dude, I've been with Celtic in 16 countries and 26 cities. Lithuania, Helsinki, I've been everywhere, I was at Sevilla at the UEFA Cup final, without a ticket of course, but having a party with 80.000 other fans who didn't have tickets either. I'm a Celtic supporter for 20 years now. They're almost as important as St. Pauli to me, but they're breaking my heart for years now. What a disastrous Gurkentruppe! They're losing to teams who would get a whipping from FC Ingolstadt in Germany."

Take it for what you want, almost everything in there. League X vs league Y, the decline of Scottish soccer, and most important here: Is Ingolstadt better than a "big club", or are they bad enough to be a synonym for "terrible"? ;)

1 person likes this.
  21. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Having seen the last two matches before this last one is it safe to say now that Ingolstadt will make a push up the standings? Having a better GD than a couple teams above them indicates to me they are at least a half decent defensive side in the bottom half of the table. Now that the attack seems to have evolved with the addition of Edson is it reasonable to assume they could make a serious run to safety?

22. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Safe to say, assume? No.
    Possible? Yes.
    It's a long season.
    The ball is round, and a game lasts 90 minutes.

23. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    C'mooooon... speculate, it's fun!

24. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can avoid relegation. That's about it. Realistically, they will be in a fight for the rest of the season. The attack, even with Buddle and Cauiby, is good for 1-2 goals per game. The defense is error-prone and is likely to give up just as many.

25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically goal/point/run differentials eventually tell over time. They are usually better predictors then w/l/d records in terms of future performance. I wouldnt ever put a team at the bottom as favorites to stay up, but I imagine that the feeling around the club at this moment is pretty positive about their chances.