Buchan, James, Neil & Jack (Chapman's Arsenal)

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Cisarro, May 26, 2015.

1. Cisarro

Cisarro New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Hi People:

I would like to know something about some players in the Chapman's Arsenal (Charlie Buchan, Andrew Neil, alex James and David Jack). But first at all I would like to quote our friend RoyOfTheRovers:

According that I have read about Chapman's Arsenal, I want to ask...

1) When Charlie Buchan and Andrew Neil played together as inside-forwards Neil was the playmaker as a "roving inside-forward" but... was Buchan more a "orthodox I-F" or a "goal-scoring I-F" (a sort of striker)?

2) When Alex James and David Jack played together... James was a "roving I-F" and Jack was a sort of "orthodox I-F"... Am I wrong?

3) Did James and Buchan wear the number 10 shirt while Neil and Jack used the number 8 shirt?

Thank you in advance :D

2. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Statements 1) and 2) are correct.

Neil and Buchan only played together for one season, the first in which Arsenal deployed a third back. The formation was a 3-3-4 with Neil in midfield. Buchan was mainly a goalscorer but could also make chances for others.

Jack replaced Buchan and was a similar type of player. Once James settled in, the system was WM with James a deep-lying playmaker with no defensive responsibilities.

Buchan and Jack both wore Number 8 shirts. James wore Number 10. I don't know about Neil but he probably wore 10 most of the time. Occasionally he lined up as a half-back, in which case he would have been a 4 or 6.