btw, I loved the ref

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by lynne, Jun 28, 2009.

1. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    So that's what a fairly refereed game looks like! Players on both team get yellow cards. Who would have thought?

Wonder what the people in Brazil thought?

2. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it refreshing to not have a cluster f*!& about how horrific the officiating was?

I guess FIFA thought the red to jr was enough to guarantee the win for Brazil. :(

3. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm sure the Brazilians thought they won 4-2.

4. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the linesman, not the ref.

5. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah overall it helped us that he let people get away with a few things like holding grabbing and shirt tugging.

They did blow the call on the goal.

We can't expect to get that generous of a referee in the future, discipline is going to have to improve in the future.

6. gabola71

gabola71 Member

May 31, 2001
    Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Yeah, he had a really good handle on the game. Any lip readers know what he said to Bradley after the match? It seemed like he said something and then grabbed him to reiterate his point. Maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see, but it seemed like he was saying our boys fought hard.

7. humancarl

humancarl New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    We made it out of a tough group. We beat Spain. We deserved a fairly officiated match. :rolleyes:

8. theerobmoyer2

theerobmoyer2 Member

May 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I thought the head referee did a good job officiating today. He had no way of telling if that ball crossed the line for Brazil and that is something the linesman needs to get right. I dont know his name but hats off because, for the first time this tourney, I felt it was a fairly officiated game.

9. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    i wasnt. he let kaka fall around, moan and foul away without even a warning.

10. suncoastranger

Apr 21, 2009
    Destin, FL
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was funny that you could read his lips after Boca said something to him and you could see him smilling and saying "Yeah I have to." during the yellow card moment.

11. zico82

zico82 New Member

May 27, 2006
    No. That was Dempsey you saw flailing around and curling up into the fetal position (before realizing no one was paying attention and getting up). :)

12. jamtime

jamtime Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet he still managed to win the bronze ball

13. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I had that same thought. I was shocked that some of our players slide tackled and got the ball without getting a red card. Both teams pushed each other around, but the ref let the teams deside who was going to win.

14. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True, but the ref makes the final call. As a collective unit, barring that one glitch, they did a good job.

15. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You've never seen a Brazil game, have you? They get away with the most shit of all the nts. Fact.

16. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I barely noticed the ref on the day. Probably means he did a great job.

17. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    grumble grumble, Felipe Melo should have received a direct red in the 78th minute for his elbow strike to the back of Donovan's head and neck, grumble grumble...

18. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Melo had a yellow already, and I've seen that elbow given a straight red (Mike Videra vs. KC), so I think either a yellow or red would have be the right call. However, I think the ball probably (although not conclusive from any angle IMO) crossed the line so the calls didn't decide the outcome of the game.