BTR Night: KC vs. SJ 9/20 Pregame thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Sep 17, 2003.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Well, we're trying to break the attendance records, as we all should know by now. Hopefully this promo goes well. I'd just love to see a huge crowd get to see a huge victory.

However, this team has me down as a fan. I can't even get excited. I seriously contemplated not travelling for this game. Was it not for BTR night, I may not have travelled considering this will be my third weekend in a row driving to KC. But I'll be there.

I'm not even in the mood to preview the game. Check MLSnet.com. :)

All I can say is that Preki better do it all himself because no one else is. Harris really looks like he's one step away from breaking out. But, maybe some NE fans can help, that may be his MO. We need someone up top to realize that they need to run off of Harris. He's huge on 50/50 balls and wins around 75% of them.

In the end this damn team needs to show some heart. That starts with three people: Gansler, Meola and Preki. No matter who else is involved these three are the "leaders". (I don't want to hear about Preki's lack of leadership skils, players obviously have to look to him for leadership ,whether he likes it or not, based on this age, position and productivity) If our leaders can't step up the locals will continue to grow more and more restless.

And, more importantly, if this team comes out flat in front a huge crowd having not won in two months, I want to hear from all the Gansler apologists as well.

2. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where all else has failed... let's hope that pride can light a fire under the team's collective ass. If they can't get fired-up for a game against the top team in the league, in front of what should be a huge home crowd, then this season is over.

A win here could be what it takes to turn thing around... but we've been saying that for more than a month now.

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I feel like a broken record but we really need to go at San Jose and stop playing in front of our opposition.

When you watch any of our wide players you see them run towards their full back and instead of taking them on, they backtrack back up the wing or into the middle.

We really need to start getting behind their defenders by either taking them on or playing one-two's around them.

Obviously Preki gets behind our opposition better than any player, but we have been relying way too much on him to do this. And the other teams know it.

Whether it is Klein, Quill, Armstrong, or whoever, they need to start taking players on, free Preki from the burden of being the sole creator and open some gaps for Wolde, Igor and/or Wolff.

As for the attendance record, I hope we break it and we provide an entertaining victory, but there is no reason for that optimism.

We have been talking about the players "heart" and "enthusiasm" and getting them "fired up". Surely 40,000 screaming at the beginning of the match would do that.

Downside: I see a Mexican wave happening on Saturday night ;)

4. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    If 40,000+ are doing the wave and cheering then I really don't see a problem with it.

Before I get jumped on here this is just a suggestion.

The wave is a pretty meaningless and easy way to get people involved in organized cheering.

Maybe some people, not all, just need an Ice-breaker into organized cheering.

Maybe the cauldron should start it up (like section 8 does), it might help the perception of the new attendees, and some of the old ones, that this section is here to get people involved in games.

5. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Ben, how about a definition of "flat". I was just thinking that SJ is leading the West, might be the best team in MLS, and has been forcing teams to appear flat (among other things) all year.

In the abscence of a definition, what has to happen on the field Saturday night for KC to win you back?

My personal feeling is that less than 40k will come to this pseudo-event, KC will play well in spots and tie, and the night will be PR'ed as a "complete and total success" in our next e-mail even though it and the result will be largely ignored in most media outlets.

Come to think of it, Ben, that is hard to get excited about...luckily there's alcohol.
    :)

KC 2-2 with a ref f'ing on one of SJ's goals.

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Aren't we a sad bunch of fans? We're resorting to alcohol to make our team entertaining and blaming the refs for one of the goals before the game. :D
    But actually, I agree with your entire post.

Oh and flat to me, is uninspired, unimaginative soccer. Something we've seen quite a bit of lately.

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I wouldn't sweat this game too much. The Quakes have been playing hot and cold all year and your team is catching us at the right time, cold with injuries. Throw in your huge crowd and it adds up to a large win by your side. I predict a 3-1 win for you guys, so relax, it's in the bag. :(

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this has to be sarcasm. no one who has watched our team in the last two months could seriously believe this. god, i hope he's right though. "it's in the bag," hah! i love it.

9. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    the way the wiz has been playing I'm not sure we could score 3 goals if SJ misses the team flight.

agree with kop that wiz need to attack much more and make the other teams adjust to our style of play, like in the first 3 months.

Wolde has been playing decent, but it's not like he's putting a lot of shots on goal and having them turned away. crosses to him sucked vs. colorado, so maybe they should try something else. 1-2s. when's the last time we've seen that?

at least no one is saying this is a "must win." thanks for everyone's stable emotions on this match.

10. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really bugs the crap out of you doesn't it? ;)

I realize that thanks to the Burn's craptacular season, nothing is mathematically a "must win". However... from an emotional/momentum point of view, this team "must win" something soon or the playoffs aren't going to matter.

11. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    It's not mathmatically imposible for Dallas to catch up and pass us. It could happen. I doubt it, but even so, with our current performance, anything can happen (except win the cup.)

12. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    All I know is that this is a must win game.

CHAD

;)

13. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

14. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Sorry, maybe i wasn't clear. With our current style of play, we can't win the cup. Hell, we couldn't beat Martinique (well, probably)

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The playoff system by most fans I've seen talk about it is better now. I'd say you're in the minority opinion on this one Dave.

But yet again I'll state for the 1000th time...there should be NO playoffs.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Has their been any recent update on how the voucher thing has been going? Any local press on how many vouchers have been distributed? Any guesses in the media on what attendance the team is expecting?

This is the type of game that would be better to lose 4-3 than tie 0-0.

Entertain the crowd.

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Andy, the short answer is no.

We keep getting the "we are expecting a large crowd, arrive early notices" but no numbers are being actually associated with this.

The promos in my local price chopper seem to have diminished after an early blitz. Not sure about the radio spots as I don't listen to the sponsoring radio station.

I did see an ad in the KC Star, albeit a small ad, it was in the sports section.

I assume there will be a large article in the sports section tomorrow, which might help give an added late boost.

Certainly the word is "out" about the promotion as a few people I know who wouldn't dream of going to a Wizards match have asked me about it.

I am ashamed to say that my line of "you'll get to see World Cup star Landon Donovan" seemed to get the most enthusiastic response. Insert eyeroll thingie here.

Mod Edit: :rolleyes:

I always got your back Mark. :D

18. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    If it is any indications, the Price Chopper in Roeland Park still has stacks and stacks of tickets left. Apparently all the fliers were written in english and not in spanish for the latin market which that price chopper caters to, so they probably won't be there in the numbers that should be.

19. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    rude, that roelandpark chopper is the worst non-aldis grocery store in JOCO. you stick to the floors there.

I like to see that optimism on the thread. I totally think we can still win the cup. We're still 6 weeks from the playoffs. The only team that can keep us from winning the cup is us. We're certainly no favorite, but we could get hot in october. we have 3 home games vs. division foes, then finish at DC, where we drew earlier.

this weekend is NOT a must win. hahahahhahahah.

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I lived just down the street from the Price Chopper two summers ago. Pretty bad store, thats all I'll say. Not surprised they still have tickets.

21. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Wal-Mart that's right next to it is even worse. The one and only time I went in there not only did you stick to the floors but there was more merchandise on the floor than on the shelves and more floating fish than swimming if you follow me.

Anyway, weather looks to be spectacular for this game. Chiefs are out of town the next day so no one is holding off for their early tailgate rituals and the Royals are falling away fast. That means many more of the casual sports fans may venture out. Oh and I'll say it this way for those of you not wanting to say this game isn't a must win.... If 40k roll out for this game... it's a must win.

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, I'm rooting for you to break the attendance record by an exponent of two (well, 1.1 would be good enough), that you and one and all have a great time, and for Andy Mead's 4-3 prediction to come true!! ;)

Peace.

23. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    They have been talkin about this all over the radio...Tony Meola has been on a few times and several stations mention the game pretty much every day. That's not to say that people actually listen/care, but the word is definatly out there and I really hope a lot of people come...otherwise we will look like total idiots predicting a big attendance and getting a usual 13,000.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    even if it only looks like 15-25k, i'm sure they'll say it's over 37k. nothing could be worse for them than to not break the record if they're basically giving away tix. that said, i think we'll do it anyways. it's an absolutely perfect day!

25. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I don;t think even KC could inflate the numbers that much. If we dont get more than 20K, then I think theyll inflate to say MLS record attendence (for kC). But, it's a beautiful day, and doing some quick math and guestimation, I'd say half the vouchers are in peoples hands. I think there should be a huge crowd. At least I hope so.