BSMX Official "La Mesa Redonda: !El que paga, manda!"

Discussion in 'Mexican League: News & Analysis' started by Deleted USer, Mar 7, 2010.

1. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has Mexico ever had a Cup tournament? (ala FA Cup, Copa Del Rey, USOC)

2. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Copa Mexico in various incarnations. When it came back for a few years in the 80s and 90s, they would sometimes play it as a round robin for initial phases, which I didn't like.

My first Chivas-America was a Copa Mexico game played at the 3 de Marzo, oddly enough (Jalisco was undergoing renovations).

3. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I imagine it wasn't very popular then?

4. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Well, as a round robin prior to direct elimination, it was hard to distinguish from a regular tournament, even when including 2nd division (now Ascenso) teams. When they brought the cup back, they played different versions at different times, sometimes midweek during the long seasons, other times with phases prior to the seasons starting, other times during the short seasons, and eventually gave up because it wasn't worth it. Who knows what would work. I would like to see them test/pilot a direct elimination Copa Mexico, but am not convinced it will be popular.

5. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow did I misread or is there no possibility of a treble if your team is in ccc or libertadores. Not sure I like that part.

This development is promising.

6. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You never know...

Like this new "idea" with the point system..

Decio lo que quiere es $$$... No mas falta 1 otro equipo que le llegue al precio..

Cough cough....Necaxa... cough cough... Si no ganan el ascenso...

7. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    From what I have read, it starting becoming less of a priority for some clubs because of the international competitions (cuadrangulares, pentagonales, etc) that they would host.

They found that they could make more money bringing in top South American and European clubs.

The FMF even tried one year hosting the equivalent of the FA Cup... fail :D

8. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    el-choul repped this.
  9. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    The Copa stuff is ridiculous.

10. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Yeah, wtf is wrong with them? They had a chance to do it just like the FA Cup, and instead we get this 2 cup nonsense.

I can't see anyone getting hyped for these 2 FA Minicups.

11. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  12. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well, in England, they have two domestic cups. One for all the divisions, The FA Cup (700+ teams), played all year and the other, The League Cup, for clubs associated with the top four divisions of the English football pyramid. That one is played in the first half of the year.

If Mexico wants two domestic cups they can. They can have a sponsored heavy League Cup which is only disputed by the primera and liga de ascenso in the first half. Meanwhile the Copa Mexico can start with the tercera división teams moving up to the liga de ascenso in the second half in February followed by the primera division teams after that. And of course most importantly scrap the stupid ********ing short tournaments and liguilla. Make it a long 34 game season. That's two domestic cup and one league cup. You still have qualification for libertadores and concacrap cup. Top three teams in libertadores and next four in concacrap. God knows that tournament needs lesser competition because it's getting boring watching the Mexican teams dominate.

Argentina just revived its domestic cup which has been fun to watch the lower division teams potentially become giant killers. I am not familiar with Mexico's lower divisions to know if a big domestic tournament is even possible but this is how I would do it.