The Life of Bryan: Reynolds at Westerlo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Nov 25, 2020.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is big & fast to play inside in the midfield.

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Hard to believe Juventus would use two international spots on Americans not named Pulisic or Dest, but I guess that is their prerogative.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can he play on the left?

4. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Once again, it appears the Italians have discovered America!

(and once again, after everyone else has actually been here for awhile)

5. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Anybody can play left back

kickin365 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Juve has seemingly had an eye our direction. They were linked with Erik Palmer-Brown a few years back, and they've also been linked with Gianluca Busio (he has an Italian passport).

chrome_vapors repped this.
  7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Just learning about him and gotta say super impressive based on the comps..

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched every minute he has played this season and I am beyond impressed. He is a physical freak w/ the ball skills to succeed in an elite league. And the whip on his crosses?... Some dudes have it and some don't. BR has it in heaps. Would love to see him at Juve.

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen, his crossing is top notch. Pretty much every service in is at a perfect height, perfect pace, with a good amount of whip when needed. They're begging to be put away. I could see him and an opportunistic finisher like Soto having really good chemistry.

Gacm32, frankburgers and USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    He’s the best crossing fullback in the pool.
    He’s also the most athletic.
    Two Pretty good things to be the best at.

11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    biggest too?

glutton4Bolts, Gacm32 and frankburgers repped this.
  12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he a candidate for the patented Italian buy a player and then sell half of his rights to another team where he plays for a year of co-ownership before moving on loan with a buyback clause? Or whatever crazy ish they do?

13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He reminds me of a much bigger Trent Alexander Arnold. Obviously he would have to prove he can be an elite crosser of the ball in an elite league... but I wouldn't bet against him. He wasn't even an experienced RB going into this season and by the end of it he proved to be good on both sides of the pitch in the MLS. One of the best prospects we have IMO...

USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I just watched the first half of the Seattle/Dallas game. It's the first time I've focused on him while watching Dallas this year and it hasn't been impressive.

adam tash repped this.
  15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, He and Aaroson didn't have good games in the playoffs, their transfers should be cancelled. (sarcasm)

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the kid did not look like the hyped player we thought he was. Sometimes inconsistency at this age is the norm.

17. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The Serie A rules towards Non EU players have made it difficult for Americans to get serious looks from Serie A.

Various things have helped Serie A change and improve but long story short a lot of teams are now looking for young players with potential from leagues they can buy for a bargain.

Of course it also doesn't hurt that a lot of people who are gaining influence in Serie A both as managers and in front offices have stakes or high opinions of the MLS's vision

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  18. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #43 KALM, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    One thing I found interesting while going through Transfermarkt looking for players that Juventus has purchased within the price range that's being discussed for Reynolds right now: almost all of those players were immediately loaned/sent out after purchase. (In some cases, based on the sort of arrangement you're describing; in other cases, through a more traditional loan.)

Players purchased for 8 figures at Juventus tend to be first team players. Players purchased for below that price (but not so low that they're being bought as youth team players) tend to go out on loan pretty quickly, usually within the same month, occasionally after half a season.

Gorky and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Is he too tall to be elite?

(joking.. height related posts are always fun on BS)

dougtee and uniteo repped this.
  20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Positionally he looked raw and -- at times -- a little lost. But more troubling was that his athleticism didn't jump off the screen in a good way like it used to when Davies was in MLS and having a bad game.

dams and largegarlic repped this.
  21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had one cross in the 2nd half that jumped out at me as very good.

22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The criticisms of his playoff performance have been way too harsh IMO. He had to go against one of the best wingers in the league (Morris) and routinely had to deal with Lodeiro and an overlapping (and speedy) Tolo. It was always going to be a tough task.

23. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I have liked Reynolds for a while, but I didn’t see this Juventus stuff even in the slightest. The things that makes his ceiling so high are the things he gets right while so young. The kid is a dog at 1v1s, whether it’s defending or attacking them, he’s athletically great, he can cross well, and his overlap is game changingly dynamic. Being tall and very positionally flexible is icing on the cake.

I feel like a lot of the other things can be taught. But I don’t have a PhD in this stuff.

comoesa and USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    He has a few potentially elite tools at the wingback position and no obvious deficiencies that don’t seem like they could be fixed. Good touch. Good close control. Good to very very good athleticism and elite crossing ability.

I’d take a chance on him if I were a big club and then see if I can work on his relative deficiencies. Cmon Dortmund plz.

SCSAutism, kba4life1 and comoesa repped this.
  25. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If this move were to go through I think its a safe bet that Reynolds would be playing for a lower table Serie A side for a few years... not that that is a bad thing though depending on the team as the league has been improving.