Bruce working to expedite Freddy's citizenship

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dcc134, Aug 4, 2002.

1. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    $20 a week if he does his chors

3. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    How long of a contract should a 14-yr old signwith MLS, especially one who has already attracted Inter's attention. The lessons of McBride and Mathis may cause him to skip our league, and I can't say I blame him.

4. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Yeah but his mom's going to have a lot to say about this whole thing since he's not 17 or 18(or whatever the age is for independence) yet.

5. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    if freddy is only 14 they shouldn't even be discussing a pro contract yet. Let the kid live a little before he's put under all that pressure. Though he's been disected here on BS for the few years though.

But seriously, his mom shouldn't even think about allowing him to sign with anyone until at least 16.

6. ballsmahoney

ballsmahoney New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Could someone give a little background to this post. I've never heard of this kid.

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    go to the junior team forum. There's info on him there.

8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    He feels like he is ready to turn pro and if he indeed does play at next year's youth championships the Euro scouts will be all over him. Inter offered up like $100K plus per year to him LAST year.

9. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    I've followed this story for the past year so I know that he's already been offered a contract.
    I meant that if I was his parent I wouldn't want him to focus 100% of his time on soccer until at least 16 or 17.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Re: Re: Bruce working to expedite Freddy's citizenship

Which lesson was that? Play in MLS and you can perform well on the world stage?

11. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Re: Re: Re: Bruce working to expedite Freddy's citizenship

No, it was play in the MLS and you can start and gain experience.

12. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I can't believe there's so much fuss surrounding this Freddy character.

Does anyone else think pinning an entire nations footballing future on a 14 year old is a bit wierd?
    Not to mention the fact that that amount of pressure usually buggers things up.
    What happens if, like so many other promising youngsters the world over, he fails to translate his talent to the bigger stages?

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Maradona turned pro at 14 and started in D1 in Argentina. There prodigies are rare but it happens.

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Re: Re: Bruce working to expedite Freddy's citizenship

Just as the lesson of Donovan and Twellman would tell him to skip Europe.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I think Pele was 14 as well. He was 16 or 17 at his first World Cup.

16. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Re: Re: Re: Bruce working to expedite Freddy's citizenship

Fair enough.

17. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I very much hope Freddy is the next Pele or Maradona, those are some rather weighty comparisons you guys are throwing out there.

18. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Granted, I'm just thinking that the pressure on Maradona although probably not insgnificant, was not proportionately as great as it will be/is for this Freddy chap.
    Argentina produces great footballers year after year. If Maradona hadn't made it, there would have been others to put in his place (granted wouldn't have been fill it exactly). The loss wouldn't have been that colossal had he not blossomed into a great adult footballer.
    I just get the impression that the pressure on this boy will just be immense. What happens if he doesn't make the transition? Argentina had other fantastic players (Burruchaga, Cannigia to name a couple), what are the other 15 year olds like in the US. It's just not healthy to be so dependent on one 14 year old boy for footballing success.
    IMO.

19. Scumby

Scumby Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Vancouver, WA USA
    As a counterpoint, this is football in America where the world's greatest players can come and be anonymous. There are maybe a few hundred of us on big soccer (guessing at the number) who know who this kid is. The internet faithfull might have their hopes pinned on this kid, but that is only a handfull of people. The pressure we can exert is miniscule at best. Unless he reads Big Soccer, of course. ;)

Scumby

20. Mr. Cam

Mr. Cam Red Card

Jun 28, 2001
    Quotes please?
    That's okay, the U.S. produces two to four kids just like him EVERY year to take his place. All the Americans have to do is find, train, develop, and field them. What the Brits have yet to figure out is this, they have reached the apogee of their football\soccer potential. The Americans have only used 10% of their potential and still made the 2002 World Cup QUARTERFINALS!!! How sad that the bitter Brits don't want a former colony to win a WC!

21. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Good point.
    There is a propensity (at least there is for me) to be able to forget that the people on here who are (for the most part) reasonably, if not very well informed, are by no means the majority in the US. Indeed they are only just a minority ;)
    Easy to forget when it's not the vacuous (football wise) US NASCAR loving public one speaks to on here.
    That aside, I still think it's a bit excessive to be giving so much 'air-time' to whether this 14 year old is the future of US football.

Also, isn't there some kind of debate over his true age? Given that he's distinctly bigger than his playmates. Of course he could just be a big lad. Only way to tell is to saw his leg off and count the rings.

22. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm not going to rise to the bait which was the rest of your post.
    The points I raised (I thought) were decent ones and in no way derogatory to the situation I was hoping to discuss. Not sour grapes.

If the US produces this many youngsters with such talent, then why are they so desperate to get young Freddy naturalised?

And just so long as that's 'all' the US has to do. Find, train, develop and field them? Sounds like a decent size job to me.

And note I did just (in my previous post) say that people on here were adequately knowledgable for the most part.

23. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    hes only 13 if u read the article

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    to maczebus:

ha!

no, he's not that much bigger!

yes, he is indeed 13!

and

no, no one among the coaches and administrators who really matter and deal with him on a regular basis has pinned the fortunes of u.s. soccer on this kid. it's just a few crazies on this board who do it, and knowing some of them by their writing, they do it tongue in cheek.

freddy will be fine, and if he doesn't pan out there'll be others - maybe not as good but good enough.

25. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok people I'm sorry for ever suggesting anything at all.
    I was jst commenting on what I've learnt on these boards. Like I said, I learn more about the state of US football on these boards than I do anywhere else, given that there's almost no coverage of US soccer anywhere in this country. Channel 5 have 1 game per week in the middle of the night.
    I was just trying to get to the bottom of the situation.
    My concerns where more for the state of US football than for poor Freddy if it doesn't work out.
    But once again, genuine questioning has been met with over-bearing patriotism, that has taken what I've said and mangled it into a slur on the state of US football. People really should stop being so touchy.
    If you're in any doubt, please re-read what I've posted. I'm not a troll, that's too easy.

13? 14? Does it make that much difference?