Bruce thinks the Bulls are better!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Feb 13, 2007.

1. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has it occured to anyone that the 4-5-1 was used to let the many midfielders in camp have more time on the field in a game?

Or is there a new MLS rule that says the format used in the 1st half of the 3rd preseason game must indicate the coaches preference for the remaining year, in spite of the fact that the other 5 halves did not utilize it?

I'm guessing this MUST be true because some posters here say it is.

2. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do u think they will run in April A 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3? Or keep it

3. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be a 4-5-1 that plays like a 4-3-3, except when Wynne is pressuring and then its a 3-2-5.

Really, the numbers are interesting, but not the whole story.

4. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'll take winning, but boring after 11 years of mostly gar-bage.....But I agree on the need for the 2nd DP/forward. If we have to bore things down for half or even a full yr to set the foundation for a winning and attractive side thats fine by me. Let the flair player come later if thats what the cap/rules dictate.

5. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey we're undefeated in pre season :eek:!!!

Where's our trophy???

6. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 11 years of mostly pure unadulterated crap, "Just win baby". 4-4-2 , 4-5-1 0r 3-6-1 , just win. As long as they win I don't care what rabbit he pulls out of his hat, what formation they line up in or what the overall age of the team is.

7. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree lets just shove 11 players on the pitch and run wild :D!

8. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Here's the problem:

- Its clear that most posters here will accept BORING, BUT WINS.

But what folks here don't realize: You are the CORE fans. The entire sphere of attending fans is TOO SMALL. Think about what is needed to make that sphere BIGGER. Boring but winning will only lead to a marginal attendance increase- which may be lost anyway if you don't start playing exciting soon after.

Again, I think the core fans here are thinking only of their interests in claiming, 'boring but winning' is enough.

Winning, but in an exciting way will lead to much larger fan increase. Combine that with limited, new capacity arena, and sprinkle a little (not a lot) of Cosmos pixie dust (you don't have emulate the Cosmos, but give those who have some nice, still fresh memories a connection with at least one star)- and the whole thing could spark really big.

As Timberlake would say, "bring back the sexy" (even if just a little)

9. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I agree with your general premise, but rome wasnt built in a day especially under mls rules. This could develop over two full seasons under arena....a good solid team this yr, maybe more workmanlike than flashy, but a winner....which sets a tone for '08....where more money is available to land a top "sexy" striker and some of our young talents continue to grow, the stadium opens, good times....

10. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Last post on this since I'm a border troll.

Winning is fun. There is nothing more fun than winning. Golazo68, you seem like a well meaning but misdirected fellow. There is no Cosmos pixie dust. There's a potential audience of millions who already have a connection to the sport up there.

They have been thinking about making the SPHERE bigger for 11 years. How has it gone? Save marketing for the marketing department of the team.

Put the best damn team on the field and have them compete as well as they can. There is nothing more fun than winning.

11. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they aren't all goalies, I agree. :eek:

12. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol :D then we have to bend the rules well MLS does that already we can handle the ball if needed with one player on the line okay???

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just fyi - please move if there's another thread that would be more appropriate:

Bruce Arena is scheduled to be a guest on the Glenn Davis radio show in Houston this upcoming Tues., Feb. 20, at 8:00 pm ET. The show streams live online and podcasts are usually available within a day or so.

Here are the details:

14. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Many thanks for this info...ag

15. Nytshade

Nytshade Member

May 21, 2001
    Newport News, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only out of respect to "The Bruce" do I even comment on the NYRB pages. (not trolling, just visiting) I think there's a lot more to this statement by Arena. I think he may have said it more for the confidence of the players than to attack the past NY/NJ Metrostar/Redbull organization. Think about that for a second. If Bruce goes on public record and says, "We're better, and the blame for our past failures lie with people no longer with the organization, then, as a player, it gives them a sense of confidence." Now these guys are thinking that they're on the right path, the cancer has been cut away from the body, and it is now time to show what they're capable of without the stigma of loosing. Simply psychology really. I've gone on record on the DCU pages and have said multiple times that I think DCU will be lucky to go two more years before Arena is spanking them up and down the east coast.

Give the man some respect. He's scaring the crap out many of us DCU fans. ;)

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many folks think all you have to do is pull out a wad of cash, flash it around, pickup a star or two, and you'll win cups. Bruce realizes that the essentials of building a team that will help improve MLS to become the equal of European clubs is to start with at the ground level. He's not just building a team, he's improving a league while he has the ability to do so.

Bruce loves American soccer. He wants this country's teams to do well, and to grow this sport. With a focus on making RBNY more like a European club with regards to training grounds, youth acadamies, full coaching and fitness staff, he has the vision to do exactly that. While I'd love for us to reap the benefits as long as possible and dominate the league forever, I'm hoping that other teams will catch on and follow his example (but not too quickly.) When this happens, we'll begin to develop the skilled players that can improve the league. We'll also attract the serious professionals who expect the club to behave like professionals.

17. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respect Man then again its fun to have a rivalry with DC something like:

Arsenal/Man Utd Boca/River the big rivalries basically the 2 powers of the league...La's not a power they just suck.

I really want to see what Bruce can do tbh the East has been weak in terms of competition DC has basically controlled it...

BTw could this be our starting 11 ???:

Can't get us through the middle ;) Cant hurt us on the wing :D!

-------------Waterus--------------
    --------------Mendes--------------
    -Dunivant--------------------Wynne
    --------------Parke---------------
    ---------------Dema---------------
    --------------Reyna---------------
    VDB-------------------------Schopp
    -------Altidore---Wolyniec--------

18. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes...sounds great, I think. :eek:

19. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes it does :D!

20. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007

Maybe, but you've mixed up the wingers. Wynne and Schopp are on the right, Dunivant and VDB are on the left.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Dane Richards getting some quality time/some starts on the left or right, too...

21. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Err I got em correct :eek: if your facing the screen :p

22. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, you got their positions wrong. Wynne is the defender, and Schopp is the midfielder.

BTW - Why is Wattereus hanging with the other team's goalie? Tell him to get his mullet back in our goal! :eek: