News: Bruce Arena says MNT players should be 'Americans'

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a hypocrite.:mad:

Not only because of his long history of playing both foreign born and naturalized Americans when he coached the team, but because his team in the American league, has relied so heavily on the biggest of big name and big dollar foreigners.

Hey, Bruce, you want to actually contribute something to this Nat team? Coach up your player Gonzo so he stops ballwatching like a U12.

chad, UxSxAxfooty, Borrachin and 2 others repped this.
  2. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Jones was already integrated into the program prior to Klinsmann. As soon as the rules changed allowing the one time switch he was on board. And unless my memory is failing me he has said that he wants to move to the US towards the end of his career to play in MLS and stay on afterwards (which I assume isn't too far off).

3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that. In fact, we don't really take it nearly as far as some other countries.

I'm a little surprised this quote has sparked so much controversy. Has anyone bothered to read the entire article (apparently it's on ESPN and a subscription is required)?

Nothing in that quote even makes it clear he's referring to the German players. We don't even know what he was asked that sparked that reaction. WTF is everyone freaking out about?

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Except the guy clearly knew what he was saying. After all, this is Bruce Arena, not Michelle Shocked.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    He seemed really aware of the words he was choosing and the questions he was answering. Which makes me feel like his dual-nationals comment is even worse than it sounds.

Unak78 and Deeneaus repped this.
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JK fires back:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/03/discusses-criticisms-conference.html

“Our job is to identify the best talents with American passports and see if they are good enough to come into that elite group. By finding those answers, the only way to do that is inviting them in and see how they do in our environment and give them the opportunity. … I think it’s our responsibility to make sure that we don’t lose the next Giuseppe Rossi, who grew up in New Jersey but plays now for Italy.”

:laugh:

Unak78, Dervos, chad and 4 others repped this.
  7. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a bunch of racist codgers wherever you are in the world. I'm not calling questioning how "American" someone is racist. I don't think it is within this context. It's a tenuous, nonsensical thing to do, but not racist. I'm sure we could find a crazy person that wants only pure Native Americans if we wanted to, but this is beside the point...

Arena was the former manager of our USMNT. His comments, therefore, come from a seat of authority regardless of whether we want to give him that merit. When he says things like this (yes I've read the entire article. This comment was mostly offhand.) it does nothing but create divides.

Who knows who he is referring to? Who knows if he's even referring to anyone at all? I don't care. Makes the comment even more confusing. Just poorly worded stuff.

Unak78 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Damn, perfect response.

Unak78 repped this.
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But see, every other country can't. One reason it feels like we've flatlined (aside from overachieving in 94 due to home field and some fortunate results) is that there are lots of countries working very, very hard to get good too. As long as the Netherlands has Ajax-style academies and Spain has Barca-style academies, and the Germans hire guys like Klinsmann to revamp their national team system (oh no you didn't ... Lol!) and the Italians steal our best players and ...

People are freaking serious about soccer out there. While we are wasting our money on national defense they are spending theirs on national defenders. And many good national teams export their best players very early on. Hazard had to go to France to get better game - luckily it was close to Belgium!

And every country imports players now - Germany, Italy, Japan, England, you name it. It is not easy to become and stay a top 10 team.

Unak78, Namdynamo, chad and 3 others repped this.
  10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    JK pretends to be an idiot. An avalanche of third rate Germans will block national teams for future Rossi's, not help them to get on there.

11. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena is such an idiot! The "I don't even know the players" comment, but yet have an opinion on them confirms the stupidity of this guy. If you want to develop players stop accepting foreign DPs so the younger guys can learn and have more minutes idiot.

12. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes because national sport team players is so much more important...

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I thought that was self-evident!

Deeneaus and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like duh man

jk :thumbsup:

sort of... :eek:

Unak78 and Deeneaus repped this.
  15. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, we spend our money on better national defense so they can spend their money on better national team players... America: taking one for the team since day 1.

'Murica!!!

Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    If they're third rate what are our players?

Dervos repped this.
  17. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    But Preston got a lot more hate I think.

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm? I honestly think Arena feels talking to the press is 99% bullshit, so I don't think he puts much effort into measuring his words or statement.

19. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The problem is that he didn't say it in that manner. He said it in a manner that left it to be interpreted in a xenophobic manner. Ultimately I understand the underlying context but, like another national team coach in Laurent Blanc, the subtext is a very sensitive issue. Especially for those of us who have family members who were born abroad yet consider themselves as AMERICAN as anyone else. Bruce should have been smart enough to word his objections in a more pointed manner. The fact that he chose not to do so is offensive. It wasn't because he couldn't have. It's that he doesn't care. Immigrants in this country take enough shit without poorly-thought-out comments like this.

Does he have a legit point buried in there? Yes. Did he fvck up in the manner that he said it, and unintentionally insult millions of Americans? Abso-fvcking-lutely!

Deeneaus repped this.
  20. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All these posts, and not one Bruce Face?

Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

:)

22. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly that is not the Bruce Face that we all know. He's too happy there.

Tom Collingsworth and deuteronomy repped this.
  23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Last I checked, we arent a good enough team where we have the luxury of putting self imposed restrictions on our player pool...

In fact we are struggling. Until we can develop better homegrown talent, we need to examine every eligible player their is. "Mercenaries" like Chandler included. If we are a better team for putting 11 such players on the field so be it...

russ and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  24. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most honest post i've seen on this thread.

25. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    So the idea is that Movsisyan's time in Europe compensated for the handicap of having spent his youth in the USA, and thus enabled him to become Armenia's top striker and the Russian league's current top goalscorer?

That might make sense, if not for the fact that all of his Armenian countrymen also had the opportunity to play in Europe. For example, I notice that one of the other forwards on the Armenian national team spent five years in the fabled Ajax system (before returning to the Armenian league, and later transferring to Ural Sverdlosk Oblast).

superdave repped this.