News: Bruce Arena says MNT players should be 'Americans'

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was Donovan born?

3. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it up with Sepp, Bruce.

Maybe it's worth looking at how FIFA determines who can play for which team. But a "born here" requirement almost definitely isn't the way to go.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just Bruce as an observer. And he's right; we're relying on German coaching.

Arena would have a problem using any of the Germans and would open them with open arms if he was the coach of the USMNT.

jclampit repped this.
  5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth the iihf uses a much stricter eligibility criteria. A player must have played several years in his country of choice.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Be awkward if he were chosen as an emergency coach.

TheNearPost repped this.
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But not the Frenchmen or the Dutchmen!

(ah, Bruce is such a pill)

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that guy meant he wouldn't have a prob. If you read on it says and would open them with open arms.

9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should edit this cause it makes no sense as it but it seems to me that you mean wouldn't have a prob... Right?

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately it's too late for me to edit it...welp.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a time limit?

12. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I love it when people open people with open arms and Germans, within a 30 minute time limit, of course.

jakepc42 and WraithXx repped this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad::oops::(:thumbsdown::barefoot:

Yeah, I think it's like 20-30 minutes after the post.

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Arena's said this before in the past (a couple years back if I recall), and he's obviously being a bit hypocritical since he relied on Stewart and Regis a good deal. (He's right though that it's not exactly a sign of progress for the program as a whole to be relying too heavily on foreign developed players).

The more interesting thing, I thought, was that Arena strongly implies that the national team should be starting a lot more MLS players than it does right now.

15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    There are some players who were not born in the United states that we cannot question their commitment. Guys like Agudelo, Boyd, Mixx and I'd even say Jones and Johnson are very happy to represent this nation. Although we have players like Chandler who just are not that committed. I think those are the types of players Bruce Arena is referring to and I tend to agree with him. I really dont even consider Chandler an American. There was that whole commitment debacle and then when he actually did commit, he played quite badly.

16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ontario, California. About 35 miles east of downtown LA.

I've heard so many people claim Donovan is Canadian-born because he was born in Ontario. That's the city in California, not the province of Canada.

(TxT), Bclay, HartwickFan and 12 others repped this.
  17. DearGodNotBornstein

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's also coincidentally part Canadian, which probably throws people off. Regardless, he came up through the U.S. Soccer system. The problem here isn't really where people are born, but not producing quality players ourselves.

Mr Martin and Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  18. T Mack

T Mack Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I feel like Klinsmann's understanding on how to use MLS talent isn't on the level of either Arenas or Bradley, both of whom came up through US coaching ranks. I think we expected Klinsmann to intermesh our European talents with lesser known players and MLS gems, but that hasn't really happened. A country relying on 1 or 2 foreign born players is fine, but when you are looking at 5 to 6 plus you have to wonder which country the national team is from:rolleyes:

JAVez1983 repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Let's not pretend that we don't know what Bruce means: when national team locker room has bunch of guys speaking German in one corner and another bunch of guys speaking Ukrainian or Farsi in another corner, it's not American national team. Having 20 guys from 20 different ethnic backgrounds speaking or trying to speak the same language, melted together - that's American national team. We should welcome Boyds, Mixs', Mwangas, Llamosas and Regis' to our team, not Chandler like mercenaries. Especially when NT coach basically operates under the slogan "You can't play anyway, there are plenty of better guys who aren't good enough for my Fatherland, and I'll try to convince them that they are very American. And who cares that they've never seen their fathers or America itself . That's my plan of developing American soccer".

jackiesdad, manq360 and JAVez1983 repped this.
  20. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

I tend to be on the side that thinks we're scouting too many Germaricans or other players with loose ties to the US. Jones and Johnson are fine, but i'd rather that be the limit then just the only ones who are starting. And at least they've shown full commitment. I think Bruce Arena is not limiting the pool to US born players, but players that grew up in the US system, or at least were raised in the US for a while. I think he just wants them to have a sense of "i'm an American, I bleed red white and blue, this is the only country i will play for". There are always special cases...Torres: born and raised in Y country, father is from X country, and player played entire professional career in X country so has certain emotional and professional ties with X country and Y country. He has a valid excuse to consider playing for both. It's late and I am too tired/lazy to look, but I know there are other players who were born in other countries but came to the US at an early or later age, but still developed a sense of Americanism. They identify as "Americans" (please don't give me the "well Central and South Americans consider themselves "Americans"" or I will slap you.).
    I think this is what Bruce is referring to, and I tend to agree. Jones and Johnson are they exceptions because they've shown true commitment and desire.
    However, nowadays we're so eager to recruit Euro tra...i mean talent that we look to the nearest possible connection.............."what, he knows where the US is located on a map??? CAP HIM NOOOOWWWW!!!!" :rolleyes:

21. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fine and happy with the contributions of the German players. But, I think Arena has a point. If we come to rely on foriegn born for the majority of our national team then we are not really progressing the sport in the USA where it actually needs to progress for us to beceome an elite nation.

I think it is fair to say that some of JK's preference for certain Germans over and above others is certainly puzzling. I am thinking of Chandler and Morales here. I like Chandler very much, but I think he should have had to work his way back into the team over a long period of time. The way he avoided call ups for me was troubling. Forgiveable, but troubling.

Mr Martin and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Don't Cross the Line Bruce .....lol

Borrachin repped this.
  23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Asinine comment, though I think it has more to do with player development based on the end of the sentence. If so, it would make more sense.

sXeWesley, (TxT), UxSxAxfooty and 4 others repped this.
  24. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Mmm...

How closely do you follow the national team?
    "Not as closely as I used to. I don't even know some of the players, which is odd as the former coach. Players on the national team should be -- and this is my own feeling -- they should be Americans. If they're all born in other countries, I don't think we can say we are making progress."

So if he doesn't even know some of the players and doesn't even follow the national team as closely (as he should imo), then what is he talking about? His comments come across as quite ignorant.

25. Taeshan

Taeshan Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Personally im fine with most of these foreign born, but partially american players i mean how else would we have players like Mixx, Feilhaber, Johnson, and im not an overly huge fan of Jones, but at least he never really wavered. My problem is the guys like Danny Williams and Timmy Chandler who were kinda like well i guess the Germans dont want me ill just play for the US. That aint right, and imo the germans have been getting somewhat of a favoritism and im not a fan of favoritism to people who didnt want to be here. ITs not fair to people who did want to be here from the outset that these others get in ahead of them. Jeez id even rather have Osvaldo Alonso who defected play for us then Chandler and Williams. In the future say John Anthony Brooks decides hell come to play for us, and goes right to that instead of waffling and only coming when the Germans stop giving him senior side attention, id be down. But only if he doesnt throw us around like an other option