News: Bruce Arena Calls 26 Players for October Qualifiers Against Panama and T&T

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That would certainly increase board traffic. It would be worth it to read Billy Haisley's lava-hot take afterward.

2. Amaru523

Amaru523 Member

Jun 22, 2016
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're worried because this team has played almost the entire qualifying cycle as if they think that all they have to do is show up and they win. I hope these guys play with a sense of urgency from the start and take care of business, but we should most definitely be worried, and I want the players to be worried as well.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice.

But you have Bedoya as both a starter and bench for 2014. You forgot Cameron.

Cameron should probably be starting CB and then drop Gonzo to D Sub1 replacing Bedoya.

Footsatt repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not worried in the slightest. #Get3

5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm not worried; there's an odd sense of peace with me that if we don't completely annihilate these two jobber teams, we don't deserve to be at the World Cup. Panama isn't that good and only didn't lose in March b/c they kicked Pulisic with impunity. Trinidad is going to trot out a B team. Their A team is terrible.

For me its still all about the midfield. If Arena finds a combo that works and/or we get good games out of 3/4 of them, we're going to stomp the crap out of these two sides. If our midfield sucks again, then the forwards will be marooned and the defense exposed, and it'll come down to luck.

6. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed....
    NUMBERPOSITION20172014201020062002
    1 GK Howard Howard Howard Keller Friedel
    2 GK Guzan Guzan Guzan Howard Keller
    3 CB Brooks Cameron Onyewu Onyewu Agoos
    4 CB Cameron Besler Demerit Pope Pope
    5 RB Yedlin F Johnson Cherundolo Cherundolo Sanneh
    6 LB Villafana Beasley Bocanegra Bocanegra Heyduke
    7 M Bradley Beckerman Bradley Reyna Obrien
    8 M Nagbe Bradley Edu Mastroeni Reyna
    9 M Acosta Bedoya Dempsey Dempsey Donovan
    10 M Pulisic Jones Donovan Convey Beasley
    11 F Altdiore Demspey Altidore Donovan Mathis
    12 F Wood Altidore Findley McBride McBride
    13 O Sub 1 Demspey Yedlin Feilhaber E Johnson C Jones
    14 O Sub 2 Arriola Zusi Buddle Obrien Moore
    15 O Sub 3 Feilhaber Wondo Gomez Wollf Wolff
    16 D Sub 1 Zusi Gonzalez Clark Conrad Llamosa
    17 D Sub 2 Besler Bedoya Holden Olsen Lewis
    18 Old Bench Guy Wondo Davis Goodsen Berhalter Regis
    [/COLOR]

7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, and neither do you credit Harvard with creating geniuses, either. Do you think Obama, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are who they are because of what happened once they got to Harvard? Similarly, if you send an average student to Harvard, they don't rise to the level of a Harvard grad just by being "challenged". So why do we think that way when it comes to soccer development?

This is the biggest and most easily disproven fallacy I see repeated about development. Ironically, it removes the responsibility of the player from the equation, which is by far the largest determinant of a player's greatness. Our best generation proves this point.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Here's a very interesting article about US player development for some pre-Panama match reading:

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/the-missing-years-u-s-soccer-s-development-gap

The only weakness is that I think Sciaretta underemphasizes the problems of the players born between 1975 and 1978. The 3 most talented players in that group - Mathis, O'Brien, Olsen - getting wrecked by injuries in the middle of their careers was a big factor in the failure of the 2006 World Cup.

deuteronomy, CU soccer, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi's a unique case, because he had a ton of physical issues Barca helped him out with. But otherwise, that's pretty much correct. Pulisic spent, what, 10 games with the reserves before jumping to the first team; do you really think that was the difference between him being who he is now and not another Brek Shea or Agudelo? CP would've been great even if he decided to sign for the Columbus Crew (not that I'm advocating that).

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I am with you bud. I will be rooting loudly for the US, and might even put money down on the US but I do realize chance of winning any $ is pretty slim.

Simply put, Arena is still living in 2002. The guy is just outdated with the times. This roster just proved that, and even the rosters before that.

Stop with that "now is not the time to experiment" BS. The team is not gonna break if you bring in 1-2 talented young players. You're not being asked to bring in some U17 or High School kids.

jnielsen, TxEx, yurch10 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Except off year Gold Cups!

12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

let me put it simply this way for you.

there was a fish named 'Goldie' that was born with incredible athletic strengths, speed, and endurance. No other fish can swim as fast as Goldie or even come close.

however; Goldie live the rest of his life in a little pond by the school park. do you think Goldie will ever have the chance to fully utilize all his strengths and potentials?

now, imagine if you put Goldie in the ocean where there are vast open sea to explore. where there are sharks, and whales, and many other predators that prey on fishes like Goldie.

what do you think will happens?

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Goldie gets a 3-picture deal from Disney?

14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I had to ask because was so random. I can't just assume it's a joke as if you posted it.

TimB4Last repped this.
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sorry, I was just paraphrasing Cam Newton. :oops:

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The big diff would be that people here would be flaming him for disappearing versus Mexico and Costa Rica, emphasizing how his poor quality is due to playing in a lousy league.

jnielsen, OGx3, deuteronomy and 2 others repped this.
  17. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Oh, I'm behind the times on that story I guess.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    If he was disappearing then MLS would have affected him in a negative way, as that is not what happened against Costa Rica. The coach set the team up poorly by isolating CP and providing him no support. He worked hard all game to get on the ball amke things happen.

Sure he didn’t have a good game by his standard and became frustrated by not succeeding and being fouled, but he didn’t disappear.

Namdynamo, Patrick167 and TimB4Last repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Somebody will eat her?

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wagner's doing pretty decently.

22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    He is, but he started out in the C'Ship and has been given both time and support to build that team. Also, I'm really loathe to go down this rabbit hole but I'd hazard a guess that David Wagner is perceived by most Huddersfield fans as German. I could be wrong, though.

Bradley was unquestionably American and therefore subject to all the accompanying stupidity that follows our players when they're in England.

Alexisonfire repped this.
  23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Isnt the A team Molino, J.Jones, K.Jones, Cato? It's not like they cant score goals.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    From what I understand, Trinidad isn't bringing their main squad for MD10. And even if they were, quite frankly, they're a last place team. No excuses for not beating them handily, even if its on a cowpatch on the road.

25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take heart from the possibility that one of either Chile or Argentina is not even going to make the playoffs without winning one or both of their last two games. Chile is in 6th place with two games remaining, one of them away against a Brasil team clearly in FU mode. Maybe if we miss out we could play a home and home with those guys at some point, and get slaughtered.

Crazy how disparate the level of difficulty for qualification is in different federations. Chile would stomp everyone in CONCACAF, Asia, and CAF. The ol' boys in FIFA have taken care of that though with the 92 team World Cup finals coming up in '22.

jnielsen and juveeer repped this.