Bronze medal match (CAN - FRA)

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Aug 8, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hold on just one second please. no one is complaining or blaming. i was simply offering an explanation for why the team seems so tired.

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i feel much better this morning; first, i put a thank you poster on laura georges' front gate; random acts of kindness work both ways. then france's women's basketball team hamered russia to make the finals, which is akin to winning the tournament since the USA is hors catégorie. the joy they showed, not leaving the court for almost half an hour, singing and dancing, was very contagious.

céline dumerc is in for a pretty dour afterlife though... there's only one explanation for being able to hit all the clutch 3-pointers she has: she's sold her soul to the devil. and he kept his bargain with interest so she's not getting it back.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  3. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    For some reason, this makes my day. Glad you're feeling better. Good luck to your country's teams for the rest of the Games. :)

guignol repped this.
  4. Left Inside

Left Inside Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nobody asked, but I was wondering whether Emily Zurrer and Robin Gayle received bronze medals after withdrawing due to injury and being replaced by alternates. The answer is yes.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    seems inconsistent when you think relay runners can win a heat and a semifinal and still go home empty handed if they're replaced for the final.

6. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guignol

7. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i was thinking about track and field. and i may be wrong there too, but it was on a list of issues the IOC was presented with.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In track and swimming, all members of the team who participated in the event receive medals. For example, Manteo Mitchell on the US men's 4x400m relay received a silver medal for his broken leg lead off in the qualifying round. If there are 6 members on the team and only five are used, five receive medals.
    Katreus, some events technically have a qualifying round before the A standard teams compete in the prelims. Many of the relays for track had 2 rounds before the finals although the notable teams only had one.

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i stand corrected.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They just don't get to stand on the podium like those who compete in the finals.

I actually wish the head coach of team sports would get a medal.