Bronze medal match (CAN - FRA)

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Aug 8, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    domestically though no one who follows women's soccer in france has called her that for years. it's one of those things that distiguishes the ins from the outs, like calling it frisco.

she's not really a big favorite here in lyon either, and not generally in the best 11. but she does have her matches, like the win against PSG near the end of the season. 90' of top-drawer stuff.

2. TittleTums

TittleTums Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nice to see a referee that called the game fairly. France lost because they couldn't convert their chances, not because of some ludicrous penalty kick awarded.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, no surprises really: Jenny Palmqvist is one of the best women referees around, you should have seen her perfect performance in this years WCL final... I guess she didn't get the final match only because she already had an Olympic final in her resume, while Bibiana Steinhaus hadn't it. But she's as good as it gets when it comes to women refereeing (and I guess that's the reason why FIFA infringed its tradition of not giving final matches to referees of a federation that's involved in the match: there was an european team on the pitch, but I guess that, after the mess in the USA-Canada semifinal, they wanted to give the best refereeing as possible to this match, even if this meant a swedish referee with France on the pitch).

guignol repped this.
  4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Guiginol all is not lost --France can be a dominate force in the women's game. Many of us "outsiders" are just a bit disappointed that the ladies didn't build upon last year's impressive showing at the WWC. The opportunity was so ripe. :( Do you think that the FFF will shake things up and bring in a new staff for this squad?

5. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    FIFA has got to find some way to clone Bibi and Jenny so they can ref every match! :)

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I still don't like the dangerous physical and often reckless play that is too often seen.

necron99 repped this.
  7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or drop the ref quotas and allow multiple refs from individual nations. Don't know if it would help, but they have to do whatever they can to get the best refs - no matter what.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes yes, we know all about that. but if they couldn't beat japan or canada in the matches we saw... teams they had already proven they could beat... at a certain point the future has to be now.

the one hope is that bini gets the axe like, tomorrow. bust my guess is that when euro 2013 starts he'll still be at the helm, and soubeyrand will be closing in on her 200th cap... what a waste.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nadeshiko Japan, 4 years ago, were in a similar spot to where France is now. They had an heart-breaking 4th place in Beijing, and look where they are now.

France has two possible paths: they can crumble to pieces, and lose everything good they showed 'til now, going away in a shadow of gloom, or they can make this defeat their fuel to come back for more in the next 3-4 years cycle. Japan did that, but it needs mental strength, planning ahead, self-confidence, cohesion and support from National Football Federation.
    It's admittedly a lot of things to need for, but I can see France being the next best thing in Canada or Rio.

guignol repped this.
  10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you're very kind.

11. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Ya the Pedersen crew probably would have called Kyle offside on the goal, even tho she wasn't in the play. When a crew is bad, expect anything. Let's not forget in the last minutes Can-USA game the ball tapped WELL over the goal line by Leroux, yet a corner was awarded and could have decided the game ..

Someone mentioned in a NZ game Pedersen was involved, and NZ had 12 players on the field and Pedersen didn't count the players at the beginning of the half ... Finally the NZ players realized it, and one went off ... Pedersen still didn't know and would have allowed play to continue for God knows how long

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Crazy talk. Next you'll be saying men could officiate.

13. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I think the problem is that France get credit for winning the home league and UEFA WCL as Lyon. All of that play together makes them such a good team. But then they blame the long home league season and UEFA WCL as taking too much stamina and making them too tired for WWC and Olympics.

Which one is it? You can't have both.

Or the Coach needs to very his lineup enough to save the players fitness for the important games.

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    WTF!!!!!

Your location is Toronto, why hate on Canada?

15. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quebecois, they are everywhere... :laugh:

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Probably a separatist :D

Chastaen repped this.
  17. hacster

hacster Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Canada. Haven't seen the game yet, but it sounds like the team's luck turned from bad to good in this game. Surprised Tancredi was allowed to take the field. Was there any attempt by the Olympic Committee/FIFA/whomever to reconcile the Colombian player's suspension with the leniency shown to Tancredi?

18. Left Inside

Left Inside Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I am so annoyed that I wasn't able to watch most of the second half, although I apparently didnt miss anything inspirational other than Matheson scoring.

A couple of thoughts.

The Canadian tactical approach in the first half was that of a team that knew it didn't have much in its legs. In the first few minutes of the second half it was pretty clear that they were backing off balls that would have been 50/50 on Monday. Finalists will have played six games in 16 days. That's a lot. Canada and the US are returning from a 120+ minute leg-scorcher on Monday. I think it became clear today that Canada left everything on the pitch on Monday. I am very interested to see how the US responds to the Japanese approach to the game without burning themselves out before the end of the first half. If they can do it, their conditioning coaches are geniuses.

I am very, very happy for Diana Matheson. Her actions after the goal say everything about her attitude. It's all about the jersey. She has been solid as a rock in the midfield for a bunch of years and doesn't get the recognition she deserves. It's nice that she's getting her time in the sun.

The best thing France could add to their program is better psychological training. The miss on the PK against Japan was glaring, but the panic in their game in the offensive third of the pitch speaks to a lack of confidence that is killing them. The high shot rate that has been mentioned in this discussion as evidence of dominance is more accurately described as evidence of impatience. Le Sommer's shot on the idk is a another example. She overstuck it by a ton.

I once heard Sinclair answer a question about what makes her such an effective taker of free kicks around the goal. She mentioned that she practices those kicks after every team practice and that she goes through a checklist in her head in which the mantra "Don't overstike it!" is repeated several times.

19. Left Inside

Left Inside Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Do you know if the US filed a formal complaint?

20. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read somewhere they had not, but it may have been a poster on a messageboard....

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I recall seeing it in an article that there had been no formal complaint.

22. TittleTums

TittleTums Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Tancredi still might end up suspended. I guess she said some things to Pederson after the game. Lol, I support her. Honestly, Fifa couldn't justify suspending any of the Canadians players this game after that game against the Americans. Twas pathetic what we witnessed.

France will be fine. Very talented squad, outplayed Canada, but couldn't convert. They've poured a lot of money into their program, I expect them to continue their upward climb. Great team to watch.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  23. Lemartes

Lemartes Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who's hating on them ? :p I like the way the French play

24. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    France should TAKE THEIR CHANCE and Necib still got a long way to go if she wants to become the female Zidane.

25. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Matheson scoring the winning goal is the 2nd best moment of the Olympics after Abily and Miyama's post-match sportsmanship.

Romario'sgurl repped this.