British, French subs collide

Discussion in 'International News' started by PhillyQuakesFan, Feb 16, 2009.

1. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Don't they have "floors", like aircraft?

3. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Seriously: I guess they designed those things pretty well in terms of being able to avoid detection.

Non-seriously: This is soooooo 19th century.

4. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you mean??

Yeah, but they also have sonar systems which are designed to be able to detect subs just like them (especially since the British sub was apparently the oldest in the fleet). And usually they're engaging each other at much greater distances, not close enough to actually collide.

5. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    unlike the satellite collision of this past week............there is absolutely no excuse for this event

both subs have SONAR and they're carrying nukes.......they should be 110% focused on what and where they're going

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They do have SONARs but they're designed not to be SONAR detectable. The thing is, the global probability of it happening is slim yet, in this part of the world, the French and British naval forces all head towards the funnel that is the western part of the Channel when they go back to their Breton and Scottish bases.

It's still incredible that they were exactly there at the same time...

I don't know if it's possible to use some kind of close range optical or RADAR device to avoid collision with such a big mass since they cannot be SONAR detected. Of course, using those may make them 'visible' again.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Guess neither the French or British don't know how to drive.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, in retrospect, I could have answered my own question because subs have a military purpose rather than a civilian transportation purpose, meaning that they wouldn't necessarily be letting other nations know where they are, sonar aside.

But what I was asking had to do with a given sub maybe operating at a different depth than another sub in the area (like people in a high-rise building, thus the "floor" analogy) so there's less risk of a collision. I recall reading somewhere that aircraft operate that way.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a very strange event and highly unlikely occurrence. Of course with these being nuclear subs, they run silent and are very hard to detect when you are looking for them, impossible to find when you aren't. It isn't like either of these subs were actively pinging looking for other subs when this happened.

As for being unavoidable and 110% focused on where and when they were going, :rolleyes:, the ignorance of such a statement is very amusing. kid come back and talk to us when you have an inkling of knowledge of what you are talking about.

10. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The British sub was probably on the wrong side of the ocean

Gotcha. I think you're right that civilian aircraft do operate that way, subs wouldn't though.

The weird thing is how ridiculously unlikely this is...the US Navy has I think about 80 submarines in service, say 40 of those are in the Atlantic, the Russians have another 40, and then the rest of the world put together has another 40....hell, even being very generous that's 150 subs in the entire Atlantic Ocean (before you take into account the fact that not all of them are at sea at any given time). If you were to let them randomly sail around the ocean without any human interference at all the odds against a collision would still have to be absolutely astronomical.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've not never seen no worse double negative than that.

As to the main story, everyone knows the histories of the French and British navies. They didn't collide. They were ramming each other.

And I bet we won, too.

12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Easy, the British sub was diving on the left, while the French sub was diving on the right...and bam!

13. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOOOL. :p ;)

14. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I thought about that too ;)

15. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    You do realise that nuclear-armed subs can't use their SONAR as it gives away their position?