Bring Sean Goldman home!

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Century's Best, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I think more than anything they can't accept that they 'lost'. They seem used to getting whatever they want and for their word to be law, no matter how ridiculous their point of view is. It was probably the daughters problem too; looking at the way her mother acts, it's easy to see why she thought she could (and did) get away with kidnapping - because rules or laws don't apply to them, only to people beneath them. That's the way she may have been brought up, and the type of environment. I really do think they believe they were wronged & can't understand how or why they are villified (not that they care) - much like a 2 yr. old cries when you don't let him play with knives/sharp objects & take them away.

2. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What really amazes me is that this clown is supposed to be from a top family court lawyers firm in Brasil. AHAHAHAHAHA

I guess he's going to learn a lesson now.

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Found the article I was referring to:

http://noticias.uol.com.br/ultnot/agencia/2009/12/28/ult4469u50886.jhtm

So what they're going to do is try to get an order for Sean Goldman to be heard in court: "Caso a decisão seja proferida conforme o pedido da avó, uma Carta Rogatória será enviada aos Estados Unidos, local onde S. se encontra presentemente, para que ele seja ouvido em Juízo".

From what I read I doubt they expect to win anything but publicity. They have no leg to stand on in any custody battle whether in Brazil (which no longer has any jurisdiction over the kid) or in the US. However if they can get a lower court on their side they can try to make a US court enforce an order for the kid to make a statement. Their hope, of course, is that the court would do this and Sean would offer a statement saying "I want to go to Brazil".

Again, it stinks of them wanting more attention for themselves and seeing themselves as the victims here.

I would love to see them try to bring the case to the US, although frankly it won't take that much for them to be put in their place - I doubt the court that already decided to allow the child to be with his father would change their opinion based on anything now. So instead, they're doing what they can to keep the story alive and get the sensationalist "what does Sean want" approach going.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You know that figures. Because they were very pissed that what they had coached Sean to say they couldn't get him to say in a court or worse, exploit in front of a million cameras. So basically, all of their hard work and probably attempted brainwashing didn't get to be seen in court. :rolleyes: :p

5. brazucano

brazucano New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    No morro
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As this story has unfolded I felt like I was watching a "live novela" on Globo. Bruna's family reminds me of those rotten families that one always sees on the novelas.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that article as well. The response that I saw from the Goldman attorney was something to the effect of "we'll have to wait and see what the grandmother does, because depending on her actions it may affect whether or not we deem her to be stable enough to have visitation of any sort." Talk about laying down the gauntlet, eh?

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What gets me are the people in Brazil who have nothing to do with the case and don't even know the family going to the streets and protesting thinking they know what's in the best interest of the kid.

8. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some idiots are doing that just because they are hating on the guy because he's American. It's so funny on Fantastico they were discussing the subject and they showed a case of a Brasilian woman married to an American guy. They had 3 kids together and then a divorce. So as per globo he "fugiu/ran away" with the kids and them they showed the mother crying and put some music etc etc, then they said she went to the American Justice looking for the kids and the American court ruled in 6 weeks that the kid should be returned to the of their residence (in that case Brasil) as per the Haya convention. So she had the kids back in 2 months. Now, why they think it's ok for her to have her kid back and the the Goldman guy isn't is the part I don't understand. Some people in Brasil have to stop behaving like idiots. You signed a treaty, it works both ways. The law is the law. Should the case have been the opposite, the same idiots protesting would be protesting as well. Now the Brasilian grandmother is just a cvnt of a woman, it's obvious when she speaks that she's a moron. I really hope the father take them (grandmother and stepfather) to the cleaners and make them pay for being idiots and keeping the kid when they knew they had no case. And for that lady. The kid doesn't have to talk in court lady, give it a break already you damn cow.

9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I also agree that son must be reunited with father. However, and to be fair to the Brasilian justice system, the Brasilian justices had to be absolutely certain that the right thing was being done, and for this reason the delays. In Brasil we do not send a poor black man to death row based on a three hour trial with improper legal defensive council appointed by the court, a jury packed with ignorant factory working racists, and witnesses that lie.
    What is so obvious to all of you, is not so obvious, and may in the end render harm to the boy. For this reason, the Brasilian justices really wanted to hear from Sean which is something that for reasons I do not understand, created public outcry, and was never done. A 9 year old boy is not blind to the world. Sean also has feelings and yes rights. We still do not know what is in Sean’s heart. One day we will. My bet: Sean returns to Rio when age permits, as I did when I was kidnapped by my father at age six from my mother in Brasil and brought to the USA.

The Grandmother? Yes I agree, a complete bitch. But look here. Her daughter died giving birth! Doesn’t anybody think about that or even care? As a father, I cannot imagine the pain of loosing a child and I would also do everything possible to keep his or her son by my side. So of course the grandmother’s mind got messed up? Of course she is fighting for the one sole connection to her daughter. And when she sees Sean, she sees the blood of her daughter. I don’t believe it is a question of “not wanting to loose” or being “spoiled rich wanting everything your way”, or anything like that – It is a question of love.

And I don’t believe all of this mind torture crap. This is just a way to swing public opinion. There is no mind torture of Sean here like the Goldman’s would like you to believe. I would probably do the same tactics and in fact would utilize any possible means of getting my son back. Sean was perfectly happy in Rio with his family and he loved his life and family. Having said that, of course Sean should be reunited with his father. Sean did look very depressed at times and has yet to call his father “Dad”. But I can tell you one thing though; leaving posto 9 of the beaches of Ipanema for the miserable freezing isolated society of New Jersey, I would also be confused and depressed, not to mention being separated from the only family I have known half of my life.

Anyway, let us hope that Sean adjusts and we are all happy for his being reunited with his father. I also admire the fight, determination, courage and passion of the father. Allowing Sean to continue contact with his Brasilian family shows the father to have incredible class.

We wish the Goldman’s the best of luck.

10. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Is that what you really think?? The reason was because the stepfather had $ and influence to get those stupid delays on his favor had nothing to with it right? If was me, I would have lost on first instance. Well, the stepfather did, he was just delaying but taking to higher courts just to lose it in the end. And this guy is a family court lawyer??? I know for sure whom I will never ask for advice. This damn clown of SF.

Nope, the guy get's killed before jury or is taking to a massively crowded jail to get buttraped day and night. What a drag...

Brasil signed a pact that states when a child is kidnap or wrongfully taken it should be immediately returned to the guardian. But the pact goes both ways, so there was no point hearing the child. The law must be followed. We don't get to sign a treaty and than pick and choose with parts we will follow.

Care for what exactly? She died, perhaps karma killed her. Have you considered that? I bet that the father must have drank some champagne when he heard the news. I know I would. Damn cvnt lies she's going on vacation and runs away with his kid, them jumps on the first bag of $ she finds and tells the father to suck it, than she dies.. Ohh poor thing....

NOOTTTTT

As a father, as a mother. Point is, the grandmother is none of the above. So she should simply STFU.

It's a question of being a selfish witch.

No kidding. If I was the American guy I would get my son passports than I would hire some people when whenver the kid would be on his way to school I would rescue him and take him to the American Embassy and stay there and tell the stepfather and grandma to come and get it.

Cry me a river.

He's a forgiving man for sure. I would spit on that lady's face if I was him. She would ask me:

"Can I go on the plane with you?"

I would say

[​IMG]

11. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I must say - I disagree with about 97% of that post with the exception of the comments at the bottom wishing them well. I'll summarize it with a few bullet points:

1: Whether or not New Jersey is worse than Brasil, or the US legal system is worse than Brasil's is irrelevant. There are many children in Brasil who's voices are not heard in Brasil - let's not pretend that it's a democratic eutopia. That family had money and connections. If it was someone middle-class, or without much money - this doesn't go nearly as long.

2: The father, by law, was supposed to have his son and I don't really care if the grand-mother was depressed or 'messed up' in the head because if that's the case, she needed psychiatric help herself and most likely wasn't fit to raise the boy. In fact, that's even more reason why I would limit contact.

3: The situation for Sean to need to adjust, be depressed, etc. shares the blame of his mother, who kidnapped him and forced him into that environment, the family that kept him there and fought against international law and the biological father who - by law - was supposed to have custody of the boy in the first place since the mother passed away and most likely since she kidnapped him.

4: Coaching witnesses is a common practice by attorney's - let's not be so naive. It's not 'made up'. With the boy spending 5 years there, from the time he was 4 yrs. of age and surrounded by a legal family who are experienced in these domestic issues, speaking would have been a useless exercise as everyone knows what would have been said. Further - he probably would have meant it, being that again he was there for 5 years and that was the family he knew. Thank-heavens that the law saw otherwise and recognized the underlying, most fundamental issue - his father was the legal guardian.
    5: The law is law. Can't escape that. The tragedy is that this had to happen and that the kid had to go through with it because none of it is his fault, as his father always points out. From being kidnapped in the first place, to being there with his extended family, to even being paraded through a sea of reporters in an act of defiance for the family. :rolleyes: They put their agenda ahead of the well-being of the child, which to me further demonstrates how whacked and dispicable they were.

12. jdawg9

jdawg9 Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Wow, now Brasil is a worldwide reference for its justice system!!! Must be a different Brasil that I am aware of.

In Brazil, kidnapping & murder = stealing candy from convenience store.

Its really sad that this case, got the all the media attention it did and that it became a Brasil x USA war.