Bring home Garcia & Burciaga?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Pegasus, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to MLSnet( http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041116&content_id=19224&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp) both Nick Garcia and Jose Burciaga might be available. Garcia is an experienced centerback who seems more mentally tough than Steve Jolley and has been to two MLS finals while Burciaga would upgrade the left back position allowing Reyes to move over to the right where he is more comfortable. That would be a defense of Burciaga - Gibbs - Garcia - Reyes with Valakari in front of them and maybe allowing a diamond formation midfield. Pretty stout if it could be pulled off. A key question is how much would the free agent Garcia want and does he want to return to Dallas or is he ready to try another country?

An interesting thing from a marketing viewpoint would be that both are local boys (Plano, Duncanville) and both are Hispanic. With Reyes, Nunez, Garcia and Burciaga combined with an aquisition a key market segment would not be able to claim that they are being ignored. Both also play a much more possession game that fits the hot Dallas summers.

2. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I think I'd rather have Burciaga than Garcia. Not sure we could afford both and I would really like to see Goodsen develop.

3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jose Burciaga would be a big help at left back. I would welcome him to our team. Not sure about Nick Garcia though. He's good but not that effective, especially when you're being burned by Alecko's equalizer in the MLS Cup last Sunday.

4. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea, but this is MLS.

They can both be out of contract, yet KC still owns their 'rights'. And we've got nothing KC would want except a couple draft picks, hardly enough.

5. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Not according to the list that 3rd Degree obtained.

Kansas City Wizards: M Preki, GK Tony Meola, D Alex Zotinca, F Matt Taylor, F Igor Simutenkov, M Francisco Gomez

I would like to see one or both players suit up for FC Dallas. Local kids playing for the local professional team is the fastest way to create roots to the community.

6. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    And the same person owns the two clubs. There should be no obstacles that the bottom line could not overcome.

7. txaggie93

txaggie93 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sorry, wrong list. Too much multi-tasking this AM.

Burciaga would interest me; he's cheap. Garcia not as much - he costs more. We need to spend that money on offense.

8. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say land them both! Defence wins championships and gives you the base to build your team around.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he make more than Jolley? It would be a swap, Jolley would be traded for something, maybe your offense. I was sort of interested in whether folks thought that Garcia was an upgrade or not over Jolley. I think it is a little but I here Jolley is a great locker room presence type guy and I don't know a thing about Garcia in that respect. The local boy returns is the added angle. Just think Nick, your folks could watch everygame you play and Frisco is pretty close to Plano.

10. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. But we still have nothing to offer City for them. Gansler isn't a fool.

11. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Uh, I think there might have been a game on recently that does not reflect well on a Garcia led defense.

12. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't count one bad game as a basis on whether or not to sign him. I don't think it was as much his fault as it was that he had no help from Gutierrez or Zavagnin in the center of midfield.

13. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    I like this back line:

Burciaga------------------------------------------------Reyes--------

-------------------Garcia---------------------Gibbs------------------

I wish these would have been the two KC players we got last year instaed of Quill and Talley; two guys I want FC to get rid of.

14. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    One more question, b/c a player was left exposed for the expansion draft doesnt this mean the original team still own their rights and the only team that has access to them are the expansion teams? I think as long as Real or Chivas don't select either of the two they stay with their current team.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As oppose to a bunch of games for FC Dallas players.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes current team still holds their contracts, rights, and everything else.

These are not waiver lists. You can't go get one of these guys without dealing through Chivas of RSL.

17. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a side note, I'm just as shocked at this list than I am at FCD's. Taylor? even Zotinca/Simutenkov? Wow.

As for the thread. Would really like Burciaga, but wouldn't mind both. As a bonus, I love having local connections on hometown teams. Question with Garcia, is what is being done with Jolley.

18. Trueone018

Trueone018 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    If KC Wizards trying to sell the team. I'm wondering if they are going to try to keep Garcia & Burciaga?

19. soccerme

soccerme New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. Other than this last MLS Cup, Garcia has been on a team that has won every cup final since high school. Can you afford to be without him. Results speak for themselves.

20. soccerme

soccerme New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    They do watch every game home or away

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burciaga would interest me more than Garcia - mostly because Garcia doesn't interest me as much as Jolley. Garcia is more of a man-marker...

The knock on Burciaga is injury....

Unless we give up the farm, I wouldn't be against trying to get Burciaga.

22. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Lindy, I prefer Garcia.

Not that it matters. FCD would have to give up the ranch and the ranch house for either, and the idea of both is preposterous.

Not that I would mind if FCD traded Toni for both.

Cheers!
    Sir Drinxalot

23. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC has had a core of playes for a few years now. When that happens a team tends to run up against the cap. Remember LA prior to last year?

So you migh tbe surprised what KC would give up and what they would give it up for.

24. Trueone018

Trueone018 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Dallas, TX

With KC selling the team and all, I would think it would be more likely that KC will let go of some of it players to make more salary cap room and in return maybe making the team more markable. And hopefully in the process we can score one of these guys.

I just can't wait, something needs to happen. I think KC is going to start training in Jan for the CONCACAF Champions Cup. When are these guys going to get sign?

25. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moves moves moves - it is still an interesting off-season!