Bring back the Mutiny...a five year plan

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by gyr0, Apr 5, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    So first, I want to assure readers I am neither crazy nor posting in jest. As a lifelong soccer fan, I learned my trade with the Lakeland Lazers and grew up enjoying an environment rife with rich soccer culture.

Tournaments such as the Tampa Bay sun bowl and organizations such as perennial youth powerhouses the Clearwater chargers serve as testament to the strength of soccer in central Florida and when the Mutiny came to town it seemed like a natural fit.

I remember watching Valderamma and Galderisi link up during the first game at Houlihan along with droves of soccer moms, kids and other fans of the game. The stadium was filled with passion that night and a bright future was predicted.

But despite a championship run and success on the field, the Mutiny succumbed to a combination of apathy and reluctant investors. I left Florida in 2002, the same year the Mutiny folded, heart broken that my area (and indeed state) no longer merited a place in MLS—despite supplying regular talent throughout the league.

But having experienced the scene in central Florida, I remain convinced Tampa is a soccer town. With the right application, a team can rekindle the glory days of the Rowdies. The obvious stumbling block is investment. We all know what occurred with the Glazers and it is clear a different approach is required.

After graduating college and starting a business, soccer has remained an important part of my life and I feel the need to give back to the game which has given me so much. While I fell short of my dream of pro soccer (ACL tear in college), I am very serious in my proclamation that I will play my part in bringing pro soccer back to Tampa Bay.

How will this be done? Along with securing vital investment, this is a question which must be answered by the fans. From marketing to sites for a stadium, fan knowledge and expertise will help to dictate each variable.

So lets start with this question: what would the total price tag be to purchase and finance a team in the Tampa Bay area? This would need to include a stadium, marketing and potential naming rights (if we were to resurrect the Rowdies)

Give me your thoughts and lets put together a long term plan. While this remains a pipe dream at the moment, what is wrong with a dream? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly support your idea...but i doubt any investors or owners even read these forums...prove me wrong:)

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gyr0, great idea, I congratulate on your efforts.

I recommend starting by looking at what others, with similiar goals have already done.

BS poster XaviusX and his partners have started a web campaign to bring pro soccer back to Tampa Bay. Here is their website:

http://www.bringsoccerbacktampa.com/

I actually know these guys and have their full names and email addresses, if you would like to talk to them directly.

PM or email me.

Thanks

4. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    First, allow me to thank you for your support.

While I whole heartedly agree that posting on bigsoccer will not garner investment, the goal is not to bring investors to this thread, but rather to identify and seek out likeminded fans whose individual knowledge will build upon this effort.

I would be delighted to speak with the people at bringsoccerbacktotampa.com and would appreciate any contact info you could send my way. Feel free to PM at your convenience to get the ball rolling.

5. Axldru

Axldru Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    ask them if they're going to contact anyone that signed up on that site and let us know what's going on or how we can help

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My guess is that you'd need to have around 100million plus whatever it would cost to make the stadium happen. You're going to probably spend $30 million up front (or more) on an expansion fee. Then you're going to probably drop another 5-15 on other startup costs. You'll need the rest in reserve to handle contingencies, cash calls, etc...

Then you'll need to pretty much have the bulldozers moving before MLS grants the franchise. It's unlikely that you'll get a 100% taxpayer built stadium, but you can probably get the government to handover some land, road improvements, and tax breaks. You'll probably need a bare minimum of $50 million towards stadium construction - and remember these costs are on top of the $100 million.

You begin to see why folks aren't lining up to get teams and the handful that do try to get the taxpayers to pay for the stadium.

Best of luck.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy, as usual, I don't believe our good young friend gyr0 intends to be the said investor/operator. He just wants to talk about how Tampa can get a team.

But Andy does bring up usable numbers. Although I do believe MLS awarded the franchise to Toronto way before any construction started (so you can ignore that part of Andy's post).

One of the things we learned about the failure of the Miami Fusion was that the owner just wasn't rich enough for the long haul.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, the Toronto Stadium was in the works as part of this summer's U20s. MLSE was able to jump on board that train and make it happen.

But that's not really relevant. What's changed since MLSE picked up it's franchise spot is the ongoing fiasco in Salt Lake.

Checketts' group was granted a franchise in late 2004 with the promise of a "Stadium Announcement" in February, 2005.

Once bitten, twice shy. The "promise of getting a stadium built" is no longer good enough. Actual evidence that a stadium is getting built, or the pot of money to make it happen regardless of whether a municipality kicks in some funds or not will be needed for future expansion.

A mere promise that "prospects of getting a stadium built are good" won't due for future expansion.

And you think you feel bad, imagine all those poor voters in Seattle who got sold a bill of goods on Seahawks Stadium. A bunch of folks voted for the financing with the objective of bringing MLS to town. Now they're not getting a team unless another stadium is built.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on, but the Toronto team was announced in spring 2006 while construction didn't start until that summer.

Although MLS did have the promise of the feds, province, city and MLSE that it would happen. Not just some rich guy in Utah.

10. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    any way we can get soccer back to the bay area would be awesome
    we have lots of old mutiny and rowdies fans in the area still

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wasn't even an MLS stadium to beging with. It was orginally to be a home for the Argos after the U-20 was finished. MLSE didn't jump in until after the Argos pulled out.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont kid yourself, BMO got built because the CSA promised the feds and other gov't funding that they would also get a MLS team there to fill dates.
    So MLS worked with CSA to get MLSE onboard.

The stadium didnt start construction until after the franchise was announced, although the stadium was announced first.

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The stadium was going to be built regardless of what happened. You missed a lot of the Toronto stadium threads on this forum.

14. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Back to the topic at hand. One of the reasons Tampa Bay failed was Houlihan was so dismally unsuited to soccer. I trained on the pitch with my club team circa 1996 and the surface was like a crown-- peaking in the middle and tappering down the sides (not to mention the football lines)

I genuinely believe there are enough supporters in Tampa/Clearwater/Sarasota and Hillsboro/Polk county to regularily fill a 20,000-30,000 seat stadium. But where? I mean if the Yankees can build a field along 275, surely soccer can claim a chunk of land. Thoughts, suggestions?

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Exactly. The Federal and state governments were locked in to something like CDN$35million if the stadium was built in time for the U20WC.

Once the Argos/Lynx involvement collapsed, MLSE jumped in.

Having the stadium on the way greased the skids.

Frankly, it was a rather unique circumstance.

16. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    just south of raymond james stadium i the huge grass parking lot they use for games
    this area is only used on game days and when christmas rolls aroun so they can sell christmas trees
    this is only blocks away from a HUGE latino area in tampa
    we have enough fans and we have the space
    now all we need is some rich guy to roll up into town

17. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Gyro, follow your dream. Dont let anyone tell you that you cant. Just follow your heart and start promoting this idea.

18. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Dont you worry, I plan to do just that =)

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gyr0, I would work on building your "organization" first before starting to identify areas where a Stadium could be built. "Cart before the horse" in a sense.

Don't get me wrong its a fun excercise, I for one think that areas around RJ could work, but unless you have a strong grassroots plan it will just be for fun.

I recommend making contact with #1) MLS and #2) the Tampa area youth soccer leadership. They will provide with both support and info regarding where Tampa is in the MLS expansion chase.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either the stadium should be built in Tampa or St. Petersburg, I'm sure you can find land in both cities...and I'm positive a 20,000 capacity stadium will be sold-out :)

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Absolutely 100% correct.

And the stated list that comes out of Garber's mouth is just that, a list. Don't be disheartened. As Dave Checketts showed, the list is meaningless if you get your ducks in a row.

But you will need 1) a primary investor who's good for 50% or more of the team, 2) a viable business/marketing plan (this is where good relations with the local youth orgs comes in), and 3) a solid plan detailing a future stadium along with a place to play until your new stadium is built.

Good luck!

22. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would currently cost $30 Million to bring in an expansion team into the league, expect a $2.1 Million salary a year for players, and a $100-$150 Million dollar stadium to go along with that. Not sure how much operating costs would be, but I'd guess around a couple mill as well. Very doable with the right investments and sponsorship.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe also contact the tampa bay sport authority...

http://www.tampasportsauthority.com/index.htm

i checked it out they have a SOCCER COMPLEX PROPOSAL!!!!!!!!

Proposed Construction Projects

Natatorium Complex
    Public Marinas
    Sports and Mini Convention Center
    Rowing Facility
    Soccer Complex
    Executive Golf Course
    Golf Instructional and Practice Center

24. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    i say we get as many people to email them about it as possible

25. Axldru

Axldru Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    done....i sent an e-mail the the exec. dir....let's see if i get any response