Bring back Jack campaign

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by thacharger, Nov 18, 2002.

1. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    I am starting a bring back Jack campaign.

Lets be honest, Rob Stone is not that good. We need Jack back. Admit it, you missed him.

Seriously though, Jack loves US soccer and the game. Sure, he says idiot stuff and sometimes has no clue what he is talking about, but he loves the game.

So anyone with any info on who we need to contact, let me know.

Bring back Jack!!!!

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    :D

Thats sig material right there

3. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    I admit it, I did kinda miss him.

4. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I am all for this, Jack was awesome, who cares if he lets his US pride show every now and then?

5. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    It dosen`t bother me a bit about the pride issue. I'd much rather have someone who loves US soccer but is not as knowledgeable as say a Tommy Smith. You can just hear the pride in Jack's voice.

6. Rowdie

Rowdie New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I think Rob is pretty good. He is critical when necessary, and knows how to raise his intensity to match the game.

I like Jack, especially since he really had a passion for the game, but Rob is better. Ty is another story altogether.

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm in on this. We want Jack!!!!

9. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Jack Edwards is the worst announcer ever. He doesn't know when to shut the fcuk up! He'll spend 10 minutes asking Balboa when he's coming back, while missing a couple shots on goal and a few cards during a game.
    Unless they were on the 2002 WC squad, he messes up player names left and right; "..pass to Petke, err I mean Valderamma.." (that wasn't an exaggeration)
    The only thing he's fit to announce is dog shows and Sumo wrestling. I don't care if he loves US Soccer. Many people love the game, that doesn't make them good announcers. Get rid of him and bring in Dellacamera or Messing from MSG.

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Jack is better than Rob, but neither is a long term solution. Just wait 'till Lalas retires again. He'll be the man in the booth.

11. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    He is not that awful. What people don't understand is that soccer will not catch on in the US because it is the "beautiful game." We have been trying that approach for years. It is not working.

We need to try our hand at the passion side of the game. The passion that ignites us. The passion of this sport that another sport can't even come close to. That is what will hook America on soccer and Jack Edwards is the man for that.

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without Jack, there will never be any more torpedo headers. :(

13. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might be the saddest thing I've heard all day... [tears up] :(

14. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm more anti-Stone than pro-Jack, so at the same time I would much prefer Edwards over Stone. Rob drives me insane and reminds me strongly of Sean Wheelock which is not a good thing.
    Jack's voice was always synonomous with the Nats as far as I'm concerned and until Bretos or Hopkins becomes our announcer(s) my votes for Jack.

P.S. As a good of an announcer as J.P. Dellacamera is, he is the Women's team's announcer and I think it would be impossible for him to make that transition.

15. soc4life

soc4life Red Card

Sep 6, 2002
    atlanta, GA
    someone start a petetion at one one of those websites

16. Gestapo Crusher

Gestapo Crusher New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Jack is great.

Rob Stone is a moron.

Enough said.

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back Jack!

Climb the ladder, baby! :eek:

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes sir, missed the climb the ladders and speed moves yesterday.

Understand, Jack is entertainment. If you can't figure out who is on the pitch and need Jack or any other annoucer to tell you who has the ball then you must be a freaking moron. If you approach this argument from the angle that new people watching will get upset thinking that Donovan has the ball when he doesn't your stretching for an issue against Jack.

Jack did fine. We need a homer more than freaking accuracy nut as to who has the ball. Jack can learn to shut up but you can't fake passion, unless your a girl :D.

19. rufus55

rufus55 Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Bring Back Jack

I never understood why people disliked Jack so much. I enjoy his enthusiasm for the US team. I agree with a prior poster who said passionate, interesting announcers will draw the marginal fan; i.e. those who don't know the game that well, to soccer. I like Rob Stone just fine, but BRING BACK JACK!!!!!

20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew this would happen. I know you all got misty-eyed when they showed the scene from the WC video and you could hear Jack's call in the background.

Face it, US soccer fans are not happy without Jack Edwards to kick around!

21. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Jack Down!

Umm...
    - Because of his phony, suck-in-his-stomach, lower-his-voice, ESPN-style delivery?

- Because he was so busy telling you how important the game was that he forgot to tell you little things like which player had possession of the ball?

- Because he's a lousy play-by-play guy?

- Because of his awful, canned comments like "Mine eyes have seen the glory"?

- Because of his inexplicable fawning over simple soccer skills?

- Because of his total lack of chemistry with his broadcast partner?

- Because of his total lack of understanding of the flow of the game?

- Because he preferred to talk about every possible arcane fact about a player's career rather than the actual shot on goal that was taking place at the same time?

- Because he sounded like a pathetic amateur when he called "Goooooooool!" ?

- Because of his annoying cliches?

- Because the best he ever sounded was when he was left speechless by 3 first half goals against Portugal?

But let me think about it a few minutes, I'm sure I can come up with a reason or two.

22. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Those reasons just make me miss him more than ever!

23. thacharger

thacharger New Member

May 19, 2002
    Southaven, MS
    Re: Keep Jack Down!

All these reasons are what make Jack Edwards so great.

24. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Jack, Rob, whatever... Just someone please fire Ty. And NEVER commment about a player's family. Unless they've all been assassinated by drug lords that very morning. This isn't NBC's version of the Olympics, which has way more to do with an athlete's mother than anything currently taking place in the competition.

Jack is a dork, and Stone is a bigger dork, and Ty is a super dork. Why can't US soccer get an American non-dork into the booth?

By the way, Veronica is a she-dork, even if she is a babe.

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    This thread reminds me of Bigsoccer's favorite word:

PATHETIC

Jack was horrid. Ty is beyond horrid. Rob is more suited to MLS.

The only bad thing about Jack leaving is it really hit home just how bad Ty is.

Have you ever played Playstation soccer? I played it a few times and they have announcers that tell you who has possession and make a few other comments. My solution is that we have some kind of program that will do the same thing. My other solution is to have no announcers.

Mine ears have heard the agony.