Brimstone Cup: Can you think of more rivalry cups?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by detroitexpress, Aug 11, 2002.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the fact that the Dallas Burn of 1996 were supposed to be a Chicago team have anything to do with it? In a sense, Dallas kinda stole Chicago's franchise, and Chicago fans had to wait 2 more years until 1998 to get an MLS team. (I am aware of the stadium situation that influenced the decision by the league execs.)

Kinda how Cleveland hates Baltimore, and Baltimore hates Indianapolis, and Houston hates Tennessee, and St. Louis hates Phoenix (and Chicago hates St. Louis, and Racine hates Chicago) ... and ;)

Man, I don't want to be in the middle of a scuffle between Dallas and Chicago fans! Where are the riot police??? :)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5854

This has gone too far if you ask me. I don't think a rivalry is worth this kind of friction.

- Paul

2. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I wasn't too knowledgeable on the rivalry. I had heard that it was there, but didn't know why. As for your other comparison...I have one point of contention...after the last few years...I don't think St. Louis fans care much about the football Cardinals anymore. All indications I got were that they didn't really care when they were there anyway. :)

So, I guess Naperville will hate Chicago next season then?? :)

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    one more year in naperville

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 1999 playoff between these two teams remains the gold standard in MLS, esp. Game 3.

I think it's really cool that Veronica interviewed Viking about the Brimstone Cup. It's a good idea for MLS to promote the "supporters" viewpoint.

I think that a California Cup is a natural. Other than that, IMO they'd be contrived...until someone duplicates the '99 Brimstone playoff.

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Well, created by the fans, for the clubs; in my mind at least. It's a little ridiculous the whole presentation of trophies to supporter's clubs...they're for the clubs to win.

But cooperation between the two fans on this, let alone the two clubs hasn't really been easy to come by. The cup almost didn't get off the ground on several occasions.

6. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Naperville

Please! No more years in Naperville!

7. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Let me put the whole cup thing in my perpsective. Fire-Dallas was the 1st rivalry cup, so I think we should be the only ones with a trophy to win. Or right now @ least. There are just to few teams in the league for that (I agree with that guy.) And if there is going to be another 1, DC-Metros sounds good, but (even better) I think that Metros-Revs rivalry is going to get VERY heated. And that 6 player trade started it all!

8. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Well, it isn't anyone's place but fans of the team to decide what to do about the rivalry. What purpose does some Colorado fan have telling someone from DC what team he/she should hate and what they should do about it?

And that DC/Metro rivalry is a lot deeper than you give it credit for in my observations.

9. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Look, you numnuts,

The idea of the rivaly is the name of the cup
    Fire+Burn=Brimstone.

Okay, so for once here are the other rivalries:

Galaxy v MetroSTARS in the Cosmos Cup Get it? Cosmos

Earthquakes v Fire in the Natural Disaster Cup

Revolution v United in the Civil War Cup

Wizards v Crew in the What Does Your Name Have to Do With Your City? What? Cup.

Rapids v Wiz(their old name) in the I Gotta Pee Cup

Earthquakes v Fire in the San Francisco Cup

If you got more, that actually are based on the teams names, join in. If you don't, bugger off.

10. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    The so-called "California Cup" is pretty heated. The fans practically hate each other. The players love to take it out on one another (Conrad arm-grabbing in the Open Cup.) Northern California/Southern California geographical rivalry. It has all the makings of a rivalry...it's just a matter of time before it's "official."

P.S. Let's not forget the Quakes three straight Open Cup losses to the Galaxy, and last year's MLS Cup matchup.

11. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Idea for a name: The Big Bear Cup (Think about the flag of California)

BTW, the NY-Chicago rivalry has been getting nastier by the match. However, a cup wouldn't do this rivalry justice.

If only the Thunder played in MLS, I could see the Fire again more than once a year.

12. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as i dont like the SOB's from the north i think LA and SJ have the best natural rivalry. It didnt exist before becuase they wre our bithches. Now they are our stepchilds. Its the battle for the best in Cali and as long as they dotn return to their sorry days we have a true rivalry. Trust me when i tell you there is no love lost between the teams and the fans. Fck the Quacks GOD BLESS THE GALAXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    DC United vs. Metrostars is a much better rivalry.

14. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even in the days when the Clash were, um, less than average, these were always big games. The walk up crowd is much bigger when LA comes to town - how could you pass up a chance to berate Campos and Jones? It's nice to see the LA fans make the trek up as well; opposing fans in the house add to the atmosphere of any great rivalry (nice how last Saturday you could clearly see the Fire and Burn fans.)

Wait, remind me: what's the championship count in Cali? ;)

15. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the fact that you won to cup from us is what made it a rivalry we have gotten a few back but once we win the cup we will reign supreme at the top of the heap. The truth is that LA has rivalries with the fire and Dc because of the many inportant games we have played against them. But SJ is right next door. 1 hr flight. We are headed on a collition to the cup, we have already eliminated them from the open cup and now its ours for the taking. SJ is the only team i believe can take the cup from us. The crew beat us regular season but always self destuct in the post season. Plus the east just sucks this year. Dallas is a great team but we have always been able to handle dallas. so its LA v SJ , kinda like the kings and lakers really. Because of the fact of the important games that will be decided between the teams and the fact that we just dont like each other i think this is gonna be a fun ride. fck SJ God Bless the Galaxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Crew vs Revolution: Class Consciousness Cup

17. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Is it just me, or has anoyone else noticed that no one really hates the Rapids, Wizards, and Revs? Well the Revs is the questionable one in that group. But I mean you don't see a D.C. vs. Metro, L.A. vs. San Jose, or Dallas vs. Chicago feeling toward these teams from any other team.

And also, if the Metro fans want to vote again on the name of the cup or maybe just name the rivalry and say forget the trophy, then I'd be happy to vote again.

18. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids vs Wizards: The Middle Of Nowhere Cup

19. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that LA and SJ are tied for the #1 top spot in the Western Conference I bet that feud will step up a notch since there is more on the line.

20. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Onward to Kettleman City!

Sure you could affix some moniker to the Quakes/Galaxy series which was something nicey-nice like "COPA 101" but isn't that beating around the bush?

I mean all the Nor-Cal/So-Cal rivalry is really about the disputed Kettleman City territory isn't it?

Just off 101 and roughly equidistant from Los Angeles and San Jose, Kettleman City is their Falklands, their Kashmir, their Alsace-Lorraine and Gaza Strip all rolled into one. I mean, whose market is it?

The clubs should fight for the right to plant their flag in Kettleman City for the year. I'm sure the KC mayor would like the publicity. If you still need some kind of token, make it the "I-5 Gauntlet."

But let's formalize this whole thing and play it out on a soccer field - instead of allowing the protracted violence over this dusty intersection to continue for another generation of Galaxians and Casbahmen.

Sincerely,
    A Concerned Citizen

21. Jaymonster

Jaymonster New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    San Francisco
    The San Jose-Los Angeles rivalry is an obvious one. I like the idea of the Copa 101, since it does run through both cities. I also like the San Andreas Cup, since that is the fault-line that runs through both cities. Just my two cents...

22. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I don't think you can beat "San Andreas Cup". As long as geographic names dominate things like that, you have to go with "Kansas Corridor Cup" for KC v COL. Not a great name, but it's about all that both cities have in common other that the layout of the actual city. I-70 Cup/Missouri Cup should be reserved for KC/StL if it ever happens.

23. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    It started long before that. The proximity is one thing. The Peter Vermes SO goal in the 1996 playoffs is probably the earliest flashpoint for the rivalry.

24. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    If you have actually bothered to get off of a coast and earn on educated opinion, you would know it's hard to hate anything outside the airports in either KC or Denver/Colorado.

Other stuff:
    KC/Colorado should be a bigger rivalry with the player trades, playoff series results, and long AFL/NFL hatred bubbling under the surface. It's hard to drive 12-14 hours through desolate Kansas and bleak East Colorado for any reason, much less just to see a game. Both airports are well outside each city, so even flying isn't an easy in-and-out. The one time I did it, I had many things thrown at me and my flag (KC 2-1 win). Everpresent security decided to take a break just then.

KC/Dal used to be bigger but playing two less times a year and a calming down of the hacking has reduced it a bit.

Until Cheyenne, Albequerque, or Salt Lake City gets a team you can't really have a "Rocky Mountain Cup." sponsored by - who else? - Coors.

25. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Burn vs Galaxy: The Stuck In Gridlock Forever Cup.