Brilliant Oranje - The smallest nation on earth to have ever reached 3 WC finals [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Nov 14, 2011.

1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not saying we shouldn't be talking about players at all here. I'm saying that discussions about how a certain player is playing at their club (and not Oranje), in this case VdV for Spurs, is what the dutch abroad thread is used for.
    I have to agree with you about the Tactics thread though.

2. He doesnot understand anything. Making posts longer and longer with nonsense to try to gain credibility. He is just showing dislike for certain players and tries to sell it as insight.

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Van Marwijk has already stated in a football program very recently he has made a list with -the exact number I have forgotten- I thought around 15 players that he deemed as potentials and that are followed with great precision.

He is on this case of bringing new blood in the team and understands that to stay at the top, you need to have excellent judgement in signaling when the energy and hunger is away with certain veterans.

However my point with you would be is that you have some kind conformation bias going on here for yourself. You have a concern, an idea to answer to it and now you are looking around and try to find faults in players so people (but also yourself) are tended to believe in your answer and the urgency of it.

I am not the biggest fan of VDV in midfield either. I see the great games he played there and raised our level but have not forgotten Russia 2008 (where we were overrun with him there) and his remark directly after the game that there are things more important than football (which made me like him on a human level more by the way) and also the Hungary home game. I think with VDV you will win some battles in a beautiful way but lose the war if played in DM. However to think that it needs more time and space to grow into the team and that it hasn't been applied in the right way up until now (meaning playing 1 DM and him and Sneijder further up the pitch) is a position I can understand too.

It does not lead me to watch his games and say he had a bad game when he was voted MOTM. Maybe you want to extract traits from that game important for the DM position that were not well executed in the match despite him having a good game, but that is not fair either to VDV. He is played either as a 10 or second striker or a right attacking midfielder. However VDV is never a right attacking midfielder. There was a funny picture I tried to find where Spurs fans made fun but also raised the problem of VDV on the right. He always gravitates to the center. Then you can always say he leaves his defensive duty's or positional duties for what they are, but that is not correct. First of all Harry has said against Bale and VDV they can play where they want. Second of all if VDV is already in center the question becomes if he gravitates more to the front, getting in Sneijders way. I don't think he does. I actually saw Sneijder against Switzerland coming all the way back to play next to his buddy. Sneijder had to go more up front so there was more vertical passing and combinations to break through the Swiss defense. However that has nothing to do with VDV. Once played in center he never annoys me like he does when he for example is played in 4-2-3-1 as an attacking player at the side. Then he really gets into Sneijder's area and makes it painful to watch. That's just who he is and also knowing what his weaknesses are. He is far to slow to make a vertical action and outrun an opponent. At Spurs you will see he will horizontal get past a player and uses his central position to gain advantage from it by setting Ade free or stuff like that.

He was not subbed out this game as the last game. Micro trend? Is he improving in stamina? :D. Point is VDV is seen in England as an artist and that's correct. I fully enjoy watching his games and mind you we will not see quickly such a talent again. We get your opinion. Unfit to play in DM. Fine. With that stated and out of the way we can give him justice here, when he is nutmegs his opponent as yesterday, making people come off their chair, clap and want to identify with him as he is cool as f*ck.

[​IMG]

Cheers :D

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If we look around Bigsoccer, this could be a setup:

1. U16
    2. U17
    3. U18
    4. U19
    5. U21
    6. Senior Team
    7. Dutch abroad
    8. Dutch players in the Eredivisie

What we do here is bringing the whole screening of players (1,2,3,4,5,7 and 8) under in this thread and the discussion involving the senior NT in this thread right here (with few exceptions when a youth team does something special or has to be mentioned). The separation between the NT and it's tactics is something I will not subscribe to and have addressed that earlier. Uncomfortable for me. However it is an interesting thread "om the bomen over alternatieven" :D

Cheers.

5. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Arjen Robben is the only Dutchman to be selected for the Eufa team of the year 2011 which is a pretty ridiculous list anyway year after & is mostly a popularity contest.

Nevertheless good to see him in there.

6. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In all honestly, who else could have/should have made it? VDV was good, nothing special. RVP was good... for half of the time. Sneijder was hurt/sick most of the time. It's all relative. Barca will have a few and same with Real simply based on fan base (quite disgusting actually, considering if Barca's squad was switched with Espanyol, It would be Espanyol with the fan base... not real fans [holding self back]).

7. Vladokoko

Vladokoko New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Club:
    US Grosseto
  8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Argentina’s 1978 World Cup win against Peru was fixed in a brutal political deal, former senator says

[​IMG]

In that case Netherlands is WC champions of 1978. They cheated. Just plain cheating. Tour de France winners lose their titles because of 0,000000000005 grams of Clenbuterol in their blood. They did something far worse. They could save energy in a fixed game and have not overcome all the hurdles that grand you a place in the final. That's like not riding a few stages of the Tour de France and still claiming victory. That they won from the Netherlands is therefor irrelevant. We did take all the hurdles. I always thought it were Dutch excuses (and I hate hearing those to a certain extend), but this is just cheating.

They cheated their way to this one, that should belong to us:

[​IMG]

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yup, we are soon back at nr 2 in the FIFA ranking:

Netherlands go up 1 place

[​IMG]

We are also on nr 2 in the Elo rating:

Elo

[​IMG]

I guess Germany can't keep up with us :D

11. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Argentina are despicable cheaters, the pope is catholic, bears sh*it in the woods. Congrats on your WC victory, Netherlands!

No idea why Brazil and England are so high. Neither have beaten anyone of real importance this year. Well, England beat Spain in a friendly. But Brazil did horrible at the Copa America.

12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He guys here a table with how Bert van Marwijk probably sees the hierarchy in his selection looking at the last preliminary squad (added some extra players myself that are not selected):

Preliminary squad

Doel: Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Michel Vorm (Swansea City)

Verdediging: Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Jeffrey Bruma (Hamburger SV) Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Málaga), Erik Pieters (PSV), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Middenveld: Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City) Stijn Schaars (Sporting CP), Wesley Sneijder (Inter), Kevin Strootman, Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Maher (AZ)

Aanval: Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Ola John, Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (PSV), Luciano Narsingh (sc Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern München

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though we have natural wingers we play 1-4-2-3-1 and so I have chosen to put them all under AMR/AML. Maher and Wijnaldum I had a bit trouble with how they are seen. I can imagine them being used both in DM as on 10. However I remember against San Marino Wijnaldum being brought in while Sneijder was still in the team, so I put him under DM. Maher same thing, but he can play on 10 as well without having seen a game of him yet to know Bert's idea with him so I put him under both.

If you think the current hierarchy is different or like players to add or replace, let me know, then I will make improvements. I made this quick to create better overview for people, without to much seconds thoughts. Discussion will always create some chances anyway.

Cheers

13. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice to see Krul and Van Persie get along so well.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All that needs to be said is that she is no Alex Morgan! She may look good in a kit top, but can she put the ball in the back of the net?:D

15. slava

slava New Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi all, is there anybody who's going to visit euro 2012?

16. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not after I saw how Ukraine is 'cleansing' their streets of stray dogs and cats in preparation for Euro 2012. This atrocity has already cast a dark shadow over the whole tournament for me, the least I can do is make sure my money is not going to support it.

17. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Heard about that, its really horrible. Makes me not want to watch the Euros.

18. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In reality, how do you all rate our chances of winning this years Euro's? Looking at the the other squads and comparing our problem areas (LB is huge and LW/LAM[looking better now though]) with theirs, i think ours is fairly good?

Spain:
    - Striker... Torres just got a triple against QPR and really Crushed Barca in the UCL, but i don't really think that means much, guess we'll see. David Villa is behind Afellay in terms of recovery and i would thin that leg fracture is much harder to come back from than an ACL tear (Fractures must be held more delicately where ACL's usually come back stronger). Soldado, in form, but not nearly on the same level is RVP/Huntelaar?
    - Team Chemistry... I know a lot of people have been saying this forever with the whole RM and Barca conflicts but it has to boil over some time
    - Fatigue... just saw the article online http://soccernet.espn.go.com/featur...-spanish-stars-at-risk-of-burning-out?cc=5901

Italy
    - Striker... No Rossi, Di Natale(if he is called on), then what? start Balotelli......
    - I really just don't know much about them, are they even on our level

England
    - they probably won't even make it out of the group stage without Rooney

Portugal
    - The real one man team... Honestly, i can name 4 other players on their team (Pepe, Nani, Moutinho(sp), Coentrao). But, that being said, if CR7 is on his game, he could dismantle any team, and looking at our defense, especially ours. Take him out of the equation( double mark?), and i don't see Portugal making it too far

Germany
    -Great team, no doubt, i honestly think they are our biggest threat.
    -Problem at LB/RB (wherever Lahm doesn't start). Definitely not at the same level as our problem with Schmelzer, Trasch, Aogo but still
    - I said this a week or so ago in the other Dutch NT forum, but i don't really think they have any true exceptional players. I see Ozil, but Sneijder(excluding his recent form) certainly ahead of him. We also have Robben who can single handedly change a match. Also, RVP, who we all know, can destory any team if he stays in his great form if we can replicate his support. But who else star wise? Gotze, not yet, Muller, behind Robben even at Bayern, Reus, not yet, Scheinsteiger, great player but does not have that ability, same with Lahm...
    = i've alwaus said that Germany has a great team. Full of great players, but no exceptional ones like Robben, sneijder or to an less extent, RVP.

What do you all think?

19. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    IMO, it will be a very difficult tourney!!

Tough luck on the group draw. The team must pocket a win in the opening match vs. Denmark. Anything other than a W will minimize the chances of progressing past the group stage. Easier said than done, of course, as Denmark is a legit dark horse and have a few excellent ball players. While on paper the Germans are superior than the Dutch, I think the ultimate goal is/should be to avoid loss when playing them. I predict Denmark will be a nightmare match-up for Portugal (just like in the qualifying stage), so hopefully Oranje will have more points than Portugal, and thus the upper hand, before the last match is kicked off. I'd be happy with no. 2 in the group. From this point onward, I like our chances. Teams in group A (potential opponent in the next round) are not that intimidating.

20. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who cares about Oranje winning, as long as we play 4-3-3 and entertain the world with out Total Football!

21. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I care about winning. Quite honestly, i would rather win the tournament playing the same unattractive football that we played during WC2010 than play attractive football and crash out during the group stages. I would hope other Dutch followers feel the same way, but apparently not?

22. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Winning a World Cup is the most important thing even if it comes in a dirty way. 1 World Cup,after that Oranje can go back to beautiful football. Even England has World Cup win. Brazil has 5,Germany Italy have like 3 each.

3 Finals & 0 wins is not good. Oranje must win atleast 1 WORLD CUP.

The only reason if Good Football now should be preferref to trophies is Total Football. But Total Football has died & I dont think we will see Total Football in the next 50 years. But if there was a chance of a comeback for Total Football,then I would say My Life as a Footballing Fan would be complete.

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Holland preliminary squad for the game against Belgium on August the 15th. Final squad will be announced on August the 10th.

Goal

1. Tim Krul (Newcastle United),
    2. Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma),
    3. Michel Vorm (Swansea City).
    Defense

1. Khalid Boulahrouz (Sporting Lissabon),
    2. John Heitinga (Everton),
    3. Joris Mathijsen (Málaga),
    4. Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa),
    5. Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax),
    6. Jetro Willems (PSV),
    7. Ricardo van Rhijn (Ajax),
    8. Nick Viergever (AZ)
    9. Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord).
    Midfield

1. Nigel de Jong (Manchester City),
    2. Stijn Schaars (Sporting Lissabon),
    3. Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale),
    4. Kevin Strootman (PSV),
    5. Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur),
    6. Vurnon Anita (Ajax),
    7. Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord),
    8. Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan),
    9. Siem de Jong (Ajax),
    10. Adam Maher (AZ).
    Attack

1. Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona),
    2. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04),
    3. Luuk de Jong (Borussia Monchengladbach),
    4. Dirk Kuijt (Fenerbahce),
    5. Luciano Narsingh (PSV),
    6. Robin van Persie (Arsenal),
    7. Arjen Robben (Bayern München),
    8. Bas Dost (VfL Wolfsburg),
    9. Ola John (Benfica),
    10. Jeremain Lens (PSV).

Clasie finally in the preliminary squad:

[​IMG]

The names from the players who have yet to play their first FIFA international A game:
    1. Jordy Clasie,
    2. Stefan de Vrij,
    3. Bas Dost,
    4. Ola John,
    5. Adam Maher,
    6. Ricardo van Rhijn
    7. Nick Viergever