Brillant and John earn National Team call-ups

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Sean Donahue, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Avery John, Sam among 11 pros called for St Vincent game
    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=45850461
    "Currently having more time for training with his bunch of local players, St Clair has also recalled American-based New England Revolution defender Avery John who will be making a return to the "Soca Warriors" line-up since last being in the squad against Morocco in September 2003.**"

Yallop opts for youth in selecting team for meaningless Guatemala game
    http://www.canada.com/sports/soccer/story.html?id=855cf46c-ae4d-4444-8d4f-84e48747a16d
    "Yallop is going for youth, calling up uncapped defender Tyler Hughes (Toronto Lynx, A-League) and midfielder Felix Brillant (New England Revolution, MLS).

Hughes, who turns 24 Thursday, impressed at a summer developmental camp in Vancouver and has been in England recently on trial at Darlington. Brillant, 24, got a good review from New England coach Steve Nicol.

"He played a lot of minutes in New England and he did well for them," Yallop said."

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Felix get noticed. I asked him about this a while back and he said that Yallop had spoken to him and told him to keep working hard, etc. When Canada was eliminated, i thought that we might see some of the younger, untested guys, as opposed to having a do-or-die game to make the Hex, where the vets would play.

It must be disappointing for Canada, as this is the second cup in a row where they failed to make the Hex. They have some quality players, but not enough depth and some of the same problems the US faced in the pre-MLS days: Home-based guys playing in sub-standard leagues vs overseas players. And now, a few MLS players like DeRo and Onstead.

Tom

3. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Speaking of Brillant, I'm a little suprised he wasn't used in the Conference Final. I remember we were beat because of Justin Mapp's quick speed off the bench last year. Brillant used his speed off the bench to set up a similar goal against Colorado, why didn't we use him in OT against D.C.? It's not like we used Noonan on PK's.