Brighton vs Liverpool FC - EPL - July 8 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mo Salah man of the match. He has been our best player since the restart. He is one of the best players in the history of Liverpool Football Club.

Naby was great as well. I think it was a pre-planned sub for Ox and Naby to come off on 60 minutes since they started on Sunday.

3 wins in 4 games to become the best team of all time. If we win 3 in a row, we will break the record and lift the trophy on the same night against Chelsea at Anfield. Count me in for that.

newterp, bayred, SamScouse and 1 other person repped this.
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    can't recall the last time Robbo took a RW corner. about time we changed it up.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love a solid Naby performance. Could have had 2 assists.

He has issues positionally, which is surprising because I remember him being pretty good sitting for RBL in a 4-2-2-2 the season before he came to LFC.

Mo obvious MOTM, great showing from him. Should have had his hat trick.

ewibe repped this.
  4. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Good win despite a few perilous moments at the back. Mo was feeling it, super energy right up to the last second. And Naby showing what he can do when he's healthy, long may it continue.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    • Liverpool have never won more matches (30) in a single league campaign (level with 1978-79 and 2018-19).
    • This was Liverpool's 13th away league win this season; the joint-most the Reds have ever won on the road in a league season in their history.
    • After going seven hours and 47 minutes without scoring a goal away from home in all competitions, Liverpool scored twice within 127 seconds.
    • Liverpool were 2-0 ahead in the eighth minute of this match, the earliest they have taken a two-goal lead in a Premier League match since May 2011 against Fulham (seven minutes).
    • Salah has reached 100 goal involvements for Liverpool in the Premier League (73 goals, 27 assists in 104 appearances), becoming just the fourth player to do so for the Reds after Steven Gerrard (212), Robbie Fowler (158) and Michael Owen (148)
    • Salah has been directly involved in eight goals in his six Premier League appearances against Brighton, scoring five and assisting three.
    • Liverpool captain Henderson has scored more Premier League goals in 2019-20 (four) than in his previous three seasons combined before this (three).

EruditeHobo repped this.
  6. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hendo's knee injury looked ominous . Deffo out for the rest of this season I'd say . Fingers crossed there's no long term issue.

Klopp,-"We have to see with Hendo because that’s not so good news how it looks in the moment. As a player, sometimes you have the right feeling, sometimes not. His feeling at the moment is not too good, but we will see."

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh - I posted this that right when it happened. Didn’t like the way he was hit (not on purpose).

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really sucks. But does mean they might see some more of the likes of Jones and Naby, which I'm fine with. Still hope they finish setting all the records they're on pace for.

Arse & Chelsea are the remaining "difficult" fixtures.

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree with all that... Salah was awesome today.... Naby too....

I'll go another few rounds of that...
    Cheers to all!! (said I and THE MAN!)

upload_2020-7-8_23-55-6.png

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It looked like more of a bang than anything else. Which might cause so much pain that you feel very worried.... but afte r3 or 4 days you start to feel it ice back to normal....
    (touch wood)

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    bayern is god repped this.
  13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #88 Red Bird, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    We are still not up to speed and I think the Crystal Palace match has created a false sense. I did enjoy the match, though, because Brighton played football (and we partly aided in that.) There were plenty of positives such as Williams having a league start. Keita was barn-stormingly good and helped create good chances. Salah, incorrigibly greedy as usual, was a menace and could have had another 3 goals.

My biggest worry is the sloppiness during a15 or so minute spell after the drinks break. Although some credit is due to Porter for altering his tactics and overloading Brighton's right flank, we also left Williams exposed on his own. We carelessly started giving the ball away under not much pressure. Brighton had about 5 big chances and missed 4 of them.

Still, the league is already won so maybe that is partially contributory as well as the number of changes. Also, this is almost pre-season preparation.

Just think, though. 92 points and 12 more still to play for and I'm still moaning.

newterp repped this.
  14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think if you look back at the season, you will find more games like Brighton than like Palace. This team has been brilliant at picking its moments and coming away with 3
    points just about every time.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah we've had a number of close calls but have always been able to find a way to pull out a result. we rode our luck a few times yesterday, the score could easily have been 6-5 (for someone).

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Last night, it was the number and quality of chances we afforded Brighton that I was worried about. But I agree-- we haven't really blown away teams as often as City has but we have invariably come up with 3 points each time more than Man City..

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    OK let's give City 10 style points, and take the rest of the season off. :)

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, that would be too subjective Too much diving and many sly fouls :)

SamScouse repped this.
  19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Football simply will not be as defensively tight without a shouting crowd.......