Briana Scurry...deafening silence....

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Thomas Flannigan, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I think we can agree that the Fab Five have been given an unprecedented amout of favorable publicity over the last 5 days, 5 months, 5 years. Seldom is heard a discouraging word.

But you sure do not hear anything about Brianna Scurry, who played in all the big tournaments save 91, and played very well. VERY WELL.

What is the reason?

2. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    It's not hard to figure, and no one wants to talk about it.

Let's see, what do Brandi Chastain, Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Joy Fawcett and Kristine Lilly have in common that excludes Brianna Scurry?

A ponytail?

3. jackal

jackal New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    So Cal
    Cool. I sense controversey.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I'm interpretting your off handed remark as suggesting that Scurry has been ignored because a) she's not as feminine as the ones you mentioned (read she's a lesbian) or b) because she's black (which also seperates her from the other chicks).

I know I risk sounding like an ass for my assumptions but that's what I get for taking the bait. I don't care. Bring it. Good natured dialogue never hurt anyone...

Can't wait to hear what the answer is to your puzzle.

4. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe part of it is that she's a goalie. As little more than a casual viewer of the MLS, I can't name a single goalie playing today, unless Tony Meola is out there in a walker. Sure, goalies prevent goals, but the rest of the team scores goals, and that's what usually puts you on the highlight reels.

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    She apparently wasn't on the 1991 roster, which means I blew it in my column this week - I thought she was Mary Harvey's backup.

So, this wasn't particularly her farewell party, although she's older than God's grandmother.

6. Jumbo1

Jumbo1 Member

Feb 19, 2000
    TN.
    I am not sure how to respond to this question, but isn't the coach a lesbian as well? It is hard to say, I am sure there are many factors at work here. I think the fab 5 have been marketed or presented to the general public as something that Briana was not. Maybe not being picked for the Sidney Olympics as the starting goalie. I do think you would have to say that Briana, arguably, had a better Olympic 2004 than at the least 3/5th of that fab 5.

7. jackal

jackal New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    So Cal
    Not the team, just the five mentioned (Fouds, Lilly, Chastain, Hamm and Fawcett) who, I think it's safe to presumme are hetero.

It's safe to say that Scurry doesn't quite embody that Norman Rockwell girl-next-door-image that the others do.

8. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I deleted most of what I composed, on the theory that brevity is always a good idea. Now I'll stick it back in!

The U.S. Women have been marketed a certain way: nice, wholesome, ponytailed, straight, white. Most of us, me included, don't know the women personally, so we have no way of knowing who is or isn't nice, wholesome, or straight. And if you aren't straight, you can always go to the closet. But if you aren't white, there's nowhere to hide.

I seriously doubt the ponytails are the reason the Fab Five isn't a Splendid Six. And I am not attacking the women themselves here. But someone is in charge of marketing the women this way. And the media has been a lot more comfortable with Mia Hamm and her girl-next-door looks than I suspect they are with Brianna Scurry. What the heck, as magnificent as Mia has been, and count me as one of her greatest admirers, I'm not convinced she's been better than Michelle Akers, but Akers didn't have the look that's been marketed. Scurry doesn't stand a chance in this environment. She isn't as good a player as Hamm (or Akers), but she's been as good as Chastain, to use one example (not a knock on Brandi).

IMO and all that, of course.

9. jackal

jackal New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    So Cal
    Wait! I almost got what you were saying and then you lost me. So, are you saying it's a color thing? If you are, that's cool. I think that assertion merits reasonable discussion (I think a valid case could be made supporting that argument).

Or are you saying it's a "looks" thing? That Bri's been ignored because she's not as cute or hot as the five you mentioned?

Or is it both? Are you saying she's ignored because she Black and unattractive.

I'm trying to hone in on the point of your question so I can blather on about you are saying and hopefully provoke a dialogue.

Thanks.

10. jackal

jackal New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    So Cal
    Wait! I almost got what you were saying and then you lost me. So, are you saying it's a color thing? If you are, that's cool. I think that assertion merits reasonable discussion (I think a valid case could be made supporting that argument).

Or are you saying it's a "looks" thing? That Bri's been ignored because she's not as cute or hot as the five you mentioned?

Or is it both? Are you saying she's ignored because she is Black and unattractive?

I'm trying to hone in on the point of your question/hypothesis so I can blather on about you are saying and hopefully provoke a dialogue.

Thanks.

11. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Being cute apparently isn't working, so I'll quit.

Brianna Scurry gets less attention than the others because she is black.

Happy now?

12. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    One other possibility is that she has not always been the #1 keeper over the time period. Not only did she not play in 1991, she also was beaten out for a period and did not play in all of the major tourneys.

I don't dispute your point that she does not fit the marketing image, but just wanted to add this consideration.

13. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    d-c, Chastain wasn't in Sweden in '95, yet that hasn't diminished the hype.

14. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    Thanks for the correction. Chastain is an interesting case, since she has said she will continue playing, if given the opportunity. I don't think you can exclude her from all of this hype, though, since she is arguably the second-best-known female player in the US. I have non-soccer friends who know Mia Hamm and that "chick who took off her shirt." If Mia Hamm has been the "face" of women's soccer, Chastain has been the "chest." :)

On a similar tangent, wasn't it Scurry who made a little news for streaking in Atlanta after the team won gold?

15. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    What makes you think Bri is a lesbian? Because she has short hair and not striking good looks?

16. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not terribly good at researching newspaper articles, but I can neither find nor remember a thing about any such incident. It's very possible that it happened, I just can't support it.

Same thing with her being a lesbian...anyone have links/articles/something to back this up?

17. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    It is because:

she was not a 91'er
    she lost her starting job for quite a while
    she's black
    she's not attractive
    she does not fit the marketing niche of the fab 5

That said, she had an outstanding Olympics.

18. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. After the game. See, for some reason I'd assumed that it was like what Chastain did in '99, but more nude. My mistake.

20. jackal

jackal New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    So Cal
    YES!!! That's the kind of direct statement that gets warranted attention and really gets the ball rolling on (hopefully) a serious discussion. Plus, when simple minded little folks like me don't havt to think so much then I can spend that energy trying to think of something insightfult to offer.

Thanks for being opinionated and to the point. Hopefully this prompts some sort of reaction.

21. NoodlesMacintosh

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm. But don't you think that maybe being one of the only (and sometimes the only) black women on the squad would warrant her more attention?

22. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Brianna once described herself as "the fly in the glass of milk."

23. jackal

jackal New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    So Cal
    I don't think Scurry is a lesbian. I was simply listing that as a possible interpretation of what (Masoo) was trying to suggest. I'm sorry that what I wrote was misinterpreted.

I do find it interesting that of the those who have responded to the this thread, a majority appear to agree that her Race has played a factor in the amount of attention she's garnered over the years and espcialy at these Olympics. I thought for sure there would be those saying the race card was being played by a paranoid few. Nevertheless, I think Galperin summarized the contributing factors best.

So, what are anyone's thoughts? Does Scurry's exclusion from the Fab 5 reek of racism (albeit subtle) on the part of consumers, marketing experts or the media?

Thanks for the great topic.

24. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Good Lord. You've got to be kidding. There can be many other reasons she isn't as recognized - she hasn't always been the starter, in many games we could have put a 2 year old in goal without a concern, she is not a good public speaker, or, maybe, she doesn't even want the spotlight.

But, you can easily conclude that the reason is because she is black. That for you is the sole reason? Nothing else plays a role in her lack of inclusion?

I think you may be jumping to a conclusion without any basis whatsoever.

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    A shirt that's the same color as the rest of their teammates? I mean, Scurry can't even dress in the right color.

:D

Sachin