Brian Plotkin

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Liviu, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    This thread is for links to articles on Brian Plotkin, reports from those who've seen him play, reports from those who know him, opinions about how he can contribute to the Fire, pics, etc...

[​IMG] (Pic from iuhoosiers.collegesports.com)

Plotkin, a native of Lisle, IL was drafted by the Fire in the second round with the 20th overall pick. Many were expecting Plotkin to go in the first round as high as the 4th overall pick.

MLS Info - mlsnet.com ( "Played for the Chicago Sockers FC from U-12 to U-19" )

Indiana Profile - iuhoosiers.collegesports.com ( "One of three finalists for the Missouri Athletic Club (M.A.C.) Hermann Trophy" )

MatchNight Scouting Report - matchnight.com ( "Perhaps the best senior talent in the draft at any position, but a mercurial player. Often you get 80 minutes of nothing and 20 minutes of pure brilliance. Preki 2.0 perhaps. At 5'9" he's not likely an outright striker, but can play as withdrawn forward or attacking midfielder. Has played wide for IU on occasion." )

Plotkin Honored as One of Nation's Elite - cstv.com ( "I am extremely proud of Brian," Freitag said. "He has represented IU with class throughout his four years and did the same on Friday. Brian has been one of my favorites to watch play. He has a great career ahead of him as a professional." )

Bull market - soccernet.com ( "He's a good player who passes well when given time. He's one of those guys who understands what he's doing out there and uses the ball very well." )

Combine 2006: Opening Day - 3rd Degree ( Brian Plotkin is a freak of nature. He's a short, pasty faced, chubby cheeked, un-athletic looking slob... who will smoke you all over the field and tear your defense apart." )

Combine 2006: Getting Sloppy - 3rd Degree ( "plotkin will be the free kick taker on some MLS team within a couple years." )

Combine 2006: Wrap Up - 3rd Degree ( "Plotkin is a player who drifts along in a game then does one amazing thing to win it for his team... He can really shoot both from a free kick or the run of play." )

3rd Degree's Mock Draft 2006 - 3rd Degree ( "Ploktin can provide a spark no matter where you play him and could even slot in at forward" )

2. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I used to play some with him while I played for the Sockers. He has a very weird physique...like he has a hunchback or something... but that doesn't limit his play. His touch is immaculate, and when I played with him, he put the ball on target everytime. He's not very quick either, but deft, and deceiving, in my opinion. Someone said earlier that he's not as quick as Justin Mapp is on the flanks, but Plotkin can be just as useful in terms of moving the ball up field, and getting crosses in.

3. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    After giving it some thought, I think the player he is similar to is Eric Vasquez of the Crew. Like Vasquez, he can hit a bomb from pretty far out, but won't knock you out with his speed or build.

If he turns out as well as Vasquez has looked so far, he'll be well worth where he was picked.

4. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    God I would love to have a player on this team who can shoot effectively from more than 15 yards...

5. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    ...and strike fear into the hearts of opponents on free kicks (as it sounds like he might).

When is the last time the Fire has had that? Josh Wolff 2001 pre-injury? 2002 pre-injury?

6. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What, besides Stoichkov? Razov could hit a pretty good free-kick, too.

7. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Andy Williams could actually hit a good free kick too...but that's besides the point. The point is, we don't have anyone outside of an occassional Justin Mapp who can hit one now.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because it's been mostly Armas and Marsch standing over them.

9. st ryma 7

st ryma 7 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    the south bay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plotkin is awesome, will be very useful in the midfield, id rate him as our 2nd best, behing mapp

10. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Plotkin with 1 goal and 1 assist in his first game with the Fire.